Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering rods.. Whadja use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chaz, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

OK, I got a vega steering box and steering arm. The setup needs cross steering to the rider side spindle. The hole in the steering arm is tiny --3/8 in or so. Should I drill this out and just use a 1/2 in heim end? What size tubing and ball ends are you using for the steering rod? Where'd you get it? Did you tap it out? How is your steering set up what did ya use? Thanks in advance...

2. you need to drill out and taper ream the vega pitman arn to fit old ford tie rod ends..taper is 1-1/2" per foot...a machine shop can do this

for rods , i use 7/8" od DOM tubing with .188 wall...you can use .156 too.. drill out and tap 11/16" -18 thread right and left.. this requires a lathe and taps

any steel supplier should be able to get the tubing...the taps , speedway sells , along with the taper reamer

3. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Thats zactly what I needed to know. I really appreciate the help..

4. Speedfreak29

Speedfreak29

Use the Walmart of hotrod parts, Speedway, they'll hook you up for cheap! I just received a vega strait arm, my drag link and tie rod with ends for a cool $150.00.