Register now to get rid of these ads!

Starting a 27 T roadster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50skalpedponcho, Oct 23, 2008.

1. 50skalpedponcho

50skalpedponcho

Well, I'm just in the part collecting phase and this is my first shot at building a hot rod. Its a 27 T roadster body with good doors and a decent shell. The car was channeled at some point in its life so the subrails are pretty much toast. They also cut out the original firewall and welded in a 1/4" piece of sculpted plate to look like a firewall. Overall the body is kind of rough. But, considering its birthdate it could be alot worse. These are the parts I own. A 37-41 front end minus the drums and a 32-36 axle with another set of split bones, 5-35 ford wire wheels and 2-40 ford steelies, I found a 41-48 ford banjo with 3:54 gears, its missing the bones, purchased a deuce chassis that was already pinched for a 27'(hope all is well Ron), the motor is a 270 plymouth poly block with 1955 dodge red ram hemi heads, and a 1932 grille shell thats been sectioned 3-1/2".

I like lists, and I'm trying to get a feel for what else I'll need.

The look of the car is going to be mid 40's that someone threw a polyhemi in the 50's. Motor is a runner that belonged to my uncle whos passed on. The Tardel/Walling roadster is a rough idea of what I'm going for. I'm researching and digging for info on setting up the frame. Keith used a T crossmember, Z'd the frame 6 inches, used a 46' rearend, and I think a 36 axle. That info came from the Ol' skool rods issue.

Anyone have any pointers? Just trying to get some more info from you guys out there.
    The pics are what I have now and the orange t and the black and white Winfield t are more ideas.

Thanks folks.

Attached Files:

2. Southfork

Southfork

Which issue of Ol' Skool Rods was that? Sounds like you've already got a plan. Go for it!

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Excellent starter stuff - and you have a great handle on the direction to go in building a finished ride looking at the two examples you're striving for.

dj

4. 50skalpedponcho

50skalpedponcho

Issue 9# May 2005

5. Looks great man, I am wanting to start a 27 T project whenever I can find one and find one at a decent price. Seems like everyone here wants about $4000-$5500 just for a body with rust!

6. good luck...looking forward to watching your build...post pix

7. 50skalpedponcho

50skalpedponcho

Thanks for the support folks. Anybody have photos of the Tardel/Walling 27 T frame?

8. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

Attached Files:

9. cool project man , your off to a great start ..

10. There ya go man, now you have a firewall. Even if it has rust through spots, it might be very easy to repair and easier than the plate you say is on your body now. At least it will be a correct firewall and not some hacked plate welded to it. :D
    Good luck!

11. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Here's Zach Suhr's car......this thing kick's ass....an aluminum nose similar to this would RULE HARD on a T roadster.....

[​IMG]

12. Yeah THAT looks bad ass. Something like that would be cool as hell but pricey.

13. 50skalpedponcho

50skalpedponcho

Hey Speedrome - What is the cost on shipping that firewall? Would you happen to have any windshield stansions?

14. redbeard

redbeard

Hey Jake,
    that is not the right fire wall for your 26-27. it is earlier. good price though.

I told you the one for your car is here, and you only need to pay shipping.

Give me a chance to find a box for it, and I'll send it to you.

Why don't you ask Keith if he has any pics of the chassis.

good luck ass.

15. yeah that black t is killer. i have a 26 fire wall thats a little tweek that i might be willing to trade. and finding good stanchions is a bitch

16. 50skalpedponcho

50skalpedponcho

Dave - Once you box it up, let me know and I'll send some cash your way for the shipping. I didn't forget about you, Texas is a little closer than California. Thanks for letting me know that that firewall is different.

Jake

17. 50skalpedponcho

50skalpedponcho

Its been along time since I've posted anything on the roadster project. I purchased a deuce frame from HAMB member Youngster. He had already pinched the frame to fit a fiberglass 27' roadster. A club member and I brought the body down to check the fit of the frame and it had been pinched a tad bit much in the rear. So, Youngster says leave it here and I'll make it fit. Youngster is a hot rodder through and through. He works out of his long, narrow garage filled with all kinds of cool projects. Cooler yet, he makes most of his tooling(breaks, rollers, etc.). The body I purchased was pretty rough. 1/4" plate firewall that someone welded in, galvanized rear wheel openings that were screwed in and sculpted over with filler, no subrails, no toeboards, quite a bit of rust, etc. Youngster took it upon himself to square up the body by installing hand fabricated subrails, put in a stock firewall, installed new rolled wheel openings, cleaned up a bunch of rust and dents, and all this just to fit the body to the frame. He also found out that the body I purchased was pieces and parts of 3 different cars. Did I mentioned that in the middle of all this he had bypass surgery? I've added some photos of the work thats been done and just want to say thanks to Youngster. I only hope that I can be as much of a hot rodder someday.

Attached Files:

bct likes this.
  18. Pinewood

Pinewood

I want Ron to do my wheel wells!

19. 50skalpedponcho

50skalpedponcho

He asked if I wanted to come down and make a three day weekend of working on the roadster. Thought maybe after I get back from Texas.

20. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

Looks like a great start. pigpen

21. brentthebarber

brentthebarber
    from San Diego

great looking start on your build! you wanna sell those 2 '40 steels if you don't end up using them? I'll take em if so.

22. Great project! I'll be watching this one. I also have a T roadster in the works. Are those Howell's patch panels?

23. hotdamn

hotdamn

sounds like youngster is a hell of a guy and you are one lucky dude...

for the record I think your gratitude/attitude is awesome.

24. wow, what a great start. t roadster on duece rails is the holy grail of hot rods to me. dont see many now days. good luck with the build and that youngster hot rodder sounds like a great guy.

25. 50skalpedponcho

50skalpedponcho

Cactus1 - Youngster bent up, rolled the beads, and installed those rear wheel openings.

26. I'm with kiwipackard....Fenderless '26-'27 T on '32 rails is as cool as it gets ! :)

Excellent start !!

27. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

hi all ... talked to jake last night. he told my about the thread here so i thought i'd check it out. first off, i ain't no one special, just love Henry's '26-7 T's. i'm not doin anything any one of you couldn't do.

whan i first saw jake's body, i thought "boy, now here's a challenge!" then after looking and assessing it, it's not as bad as it looks. just about any '27 body you find you can plan on replacing the bottom 4" all the way around anyway. the cowl is real nice, the doors are excellent, rear quarters are workable as are the turtle deck pieces. it's certainly a keeper. i'll be adding pic here to show the progress also.

speedrome ... is that early firewall still available? if it is pm me please!

sko ford ... could rally use that '26 firewall if you still want to part with it. the touring body jake's firewall came out of needs one again.

pinewood ... we should talk!

johnny fast ... really like you avatar ... awesome man!!!!

cya'll next time

Ron

28. I have to disagree with you youngster, you are special, and that's what keeps this alive. Kudos to you, and keep us up to speed on the 27.

oldschool

29. Ron, how have you been? This is Shawn F. from Tbucketeers website. I need to get back on that site because I have been away for months now and never ended up getting that T bucket like I wanted because priorities changed.

30. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

hi shawn...that happens...kinda like women...the good one show up after you connect her there sister...lol

Ron