Register now to get rid of these ads!

NAPA paint quality?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billsat, Mar 31, 2009.

1. billsat

billsat

Has anyone out there used NAPA's urethane paint for the finish coat on a vehicle? I'm curious as to their quality, etc, and what the opinions of HAMB painters are re NAPA paints.

2. 33 5 window coupe

33 5 window coupe

the paint from napa is ppg when we get it for company use.it's good paint,but you can probably get it cheaper for the same brand name at finishmasters or higgs. for the money and a good paint i get mason,it's good paint . 33 5 window coupe

3. Paint

Paint

NAPA paint is rebranded Sherwin Williams, It's good stuff.....

4. Glen

Glen

5. Was always Sherwin Williams or Martin Seynour as far as I know. Every painter has a fave, I sprayed a bunch years ago and liked it. I am a once every 2 year painter now.

6. auto shop

auto shop
    from kentucky

I worked for NAPA for many years at the time it was made by Sherwin Williams co. I saw a car that I built 16 years ago and the paint looks great. Use a good quality paint PPG is a very Good paint but expensive . I prefer Nason by Dupont good quality and reasonable price.

7. my local Napa sells Martin Senour . i have used their urethane many times on small projects and the guy who paints my cars uses it on everything

8. Paint

Paint

Martin Senour is their brand name but it is manufactured by Sherwin, some NAPA stores are now selling the Sherwin Planet Color custom line also.

9. sherm II

sherm II
    from central Pa

I use the napa martin senior/crossfire brand base coats & urathane clear also their acrylic enamels. Was to A napa dealer nite just last nite, they have a new line just out ACME FINISH 1. New 2k sealers,urathane clears,ect. Good quality value priced,base coats are good for over all paint work, color match for factory is so/so hope this helps. thanks shermII

10. Defisch

Defisch
    from Hudson FL.

I painted my dads silverado with napa crossfire base clear a few months ago the base and clear sprayed really nice, the clear seemed to dry pretty slow but held a good gloss.

11. CHIVO

CHIVO
    from REEDLEY,CA

Napa paint is martin senour that is made by sherwin williams it is the same stuff just different label.I mixed paint for napa and went to paint school in Reno.Napas Tecbase paint is good but expensive, crossfire is okay just becareful when spraying metallics when using crossfire reducer in paint it tends to mottle.It is to hot when cleared.The problem is the reducer is used on primer,paint ,and clear so instead of reducer in paint use tecbase stabilizer it works better with no mottling.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  12. rat pink

rat pink
    BANNED

go to a mom and pop paint shop and spend the money,
    in the long run its worth it,if you love your car spoil it,
    napa is an evil store may they rot in hell!!!!!!!!!

13. Chaoticcustoms

Chaoticcustoms

I never knew that it was sherwin williams rebadged...I agree with chivo, it mottles really bad, i never have great luck with a color match either. But its just about idiot proof it seems, way user friendlier than ppg.

14. 33 5 window coupe

33 5 window coupe

here in daytona napa sells us ppg and crossfire in ind. they sold martin seynour all good paint.i still like nason base coat/clear coat. the paint kits are good and price is great 33 5 window coupe

15. Long ago when I used to buy paint from NAPA, I had awful results.
    I gave them several chances because they had the lowest price.
    When I used Dupont or PPG/Ditzler, I had great results every time, so I stopped blaming myself, and started buying the better paints.

I think the low price was due to skimping on key ingredients, particularly the anti-shrink additives.

This was quite a few years ago. I haven't tried their paints lately. I hope they got better.

16. uncle buck

uncle buck

And what did 5000 plus indepentant store owners do to your sorry ass to deserve a blanket statement like that? Attitudes like yours are what creates a bad taste on both sides of the parts counter.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009