Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine carnage, you know you love it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fraz, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Morbid people that we are. Bought a nailhead and ST400 last week for really cheap off eBay. The roadtrip was cool, turns out the guy I bought the engine from is Russ Eggleston, the guy that built this really badass gold 60's styled 28 Dodge truck. [​IMG]

ANYWAY, I tore into the nailhead today. He said it was locked up. Found out why.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yep, it ate a piston. What's left of it I'm holding up in the 2nd pic. You can see all the nummy goody bits in the damaged oilpan. I think it's cool, my 1st really semi-seriously hurt engine. The good news is besides the obvious carnage, there's not much wrong with the motor. Some scratching in the 'sploded cylinder that should be fine with the overbore I have planned anyway. No detail shots, I have poopy cellphone for pix only. Everything else that's wrong is getting replaced as well, so I hope to have this bugger up and runnin sometime soon.

On a footnote, anyone need a nailhead pattern ST400?

2. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

Bet that made some cool noises when it happened.

3. Dude, I dont think one of my patented Krylon rebuilds will fix that! You got enough there to overhaul?

Brad

4. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

oouuch that must of hurt when it went BANG!

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get the block sonic and crack tested before putting $$ into it!

6. wrenchrocket

wrenchrocket

thats pretty nasty alm,ost as good as when my old boss tried to get one of our delivery trucks to start with starting fluid pre turbo, nothing like a cutaway CAT diesel

7. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Dunno about noises, he got it as a core, I bought it as the same thing. Should be enough left to rebuild. Aside from some rust scale in the water passages it is actually in nice shape. And yeah I'm gonna make sure the block's worth puttin money into.

8. If all that happened was a piston coming apart and the block looks good, a sleeve should fix it.
    I busted a piston once at 5000 rpm, took the whole corner of the block out. My buddy, who was behind me, said all he saw was a big cloud of smoke. All I heard was a big "Thunk" and the rears locked for a second till I pushed the clutch.
    When I opened the hood the #1 rod was U shaped hanging from the stearing column.

9. Guitar Guy

Guitar Guy

and the fun work begins!!!

10. Slostang

Slostang

ah that happened to me once but the rod wasn't happy just being free it took part of the exhaust out as well. With that little of piston left i'm surprised it didn't hurt the block worse Fraz. Goodluck on the rebuild .

11. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Still got a ways to tear down till bare block then gonna really look in there and see how things are. Could be a much different story come tomorrow.

My speculation is that it went BOOM and locked it's butt up in a rev or 2, limiting the damage. Like I say, it all could change tomorrow once I get further into it.