Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bought my first blower today. How did I do?!?!?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by t-town-track-t, Mar 31, 2009.

1. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

So I see this ad on the local craigsist for a 671 case, $30. My curiosity is peaked so I call the number yesterday and get the guys wife. She takes a msg, and I never hear from him. So this morning I called back and got him. I thought it might be just the case since it was so cheap, but the more we talked the more he said was there.

Went out there and saw him and ended up bringing it home. How did I do? The case does have one good gouge in it, but I think it could be welded up and re bored. The tabs and supports have never been cut so I think this thing is fresh off the diesel. There are several extra parts there it looks like, and there are two types of front plates with it. Its obvious that the thing sat outside or in some water for a while, the rotors have some corosion on them. I have access to a media cabinet that has glass media in it. I would like to clean up all these parts, is it going to hurt anything to get media inside the case? how about directly onto the rotors? What should I avoid blasting?

Anyway, here are the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I would have bought it for 30 dollars you did good.

3. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

I figure if all I ever do is clean it up and set it on the bench and stare at it, I did alright at $30. Hell I think there is enough aluminum, it would scrap for more than that!

4. yup, id give $30. for it, crap if for nothing else to make some garage art out of. maybe a cool car show trophy.

5. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

I'd pay $30.00 just to have it sitting in the shop, it's cool.

6. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

make a key fob

7. bibb86

bibb86

i would take it off your hands for $40 if you like

8. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I think you did OK for $30 . I will agree with the rest that posted too !
    Will make good garage art or trophy but will cost too much to get going .
    I would have given $30 for it too . :cool:

9. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

What would cost to much to get it going? I have a buddy that could TIG the case, and I can not imagine it would be that much money to machine it back to spec. I know that there are other parts to be bought to convert it to gas, but what all am I having to do that your average guy who buys one doesn't? Besides the obvious case damage.

10. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take it to your local diesel engine shop. They can at least tell you if the case is saveable and teh rotors are decent.

If teh case and rotors are OK, send it to someone who builds race blowers. Diesel and gas blowers are set up diffrently and it takes someone who knows what the hell they are doing to get it right.

You might be suprised how cheap it is to get one rebuilt. My guy in Washington state gets less that 300 bucks to set one up for teh street, ready to bolt on. High speed sealed bearings, tripple pin the rotors, mill the stuff that needs milled and set teh clearances.

He will also reccomend you buy some kind of aftermarket rear cover as the stock ones are prone to cracking.

Rick Dean Blowers
    360-451 2119

Good luck, -Abone.

11. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

I guess it depends on what you are planing on doing with it. If you are just going to mess around on the street and not get to wild you could just over drive it a little more than you would with a good one.
    I say clean it up, overdrive it 5 - 10% more than a good one and have some fun. JC

12. A nice ashtray.

13. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I saw years ago where a guy somehow mounted it to a manifold and had a carburator inside..looked kinda cool

14. racer756

racer756

STOP, Please no.

15. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

that's a felony

16. Great! That and a couple grand will have you running! +/- your bartering and creativity ;)

17. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

ok, so is it going to cost so much because its cheaper to just buy a complete BDS or something like that? or because of the gouge in the case? or just because it costs that much to set up a blower?

18. zorch

zorch

Despite the resistance here, I believe that guy was Ed Roth. One of his cars had a blower case with the carb inside. He insisted on holes to reach the adjustment screws, I read, so as not to make it look too much like he was trying to fool people.

But I could be wrong. Wouldn't even be the first time today ... that meatball hero I had for lunch was a huge mistake. And it keeps repeating.:rolleyes:

19. No the drive will cost you + belts + pulleys+intake etc.Flamedabone has done it on the cheap, as did Kerry. Most others spend the big bucks.

20. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The blower is about half the battle. I wrote a check to my blower guy for less than 800 bucks and a week later, my blower showed up at my door. No core, no nothing. Fully built for gas, clearanced, new rear cover, ready to go.

The other thing to consider money wise is the drive and related hardware. I have about a 1200 in the manifold, (Pontiac), drive, crank hub, pulleys, idler and belt. Your Chevvie stuff will be lots cheaper, but the drive is still the better part of 400 bucks new.

If you are not in a giant hurry, you can piece all the drive stuff one at a time, and it won't hurt the wallet so quite so bad. None of this stuff has to be new...

Good luck, -Abone.

21. gas pumper

gas pumper

Scrapes and gouges are normal inside used blowers, you really need to get rid if high spots where the metal was upset, the lows are not really that important.

Don't sand blast the gears. They are very high precision. Wire brush the rust off, or get new ones.

Read that other old thread that was up today about the 6-71's, a lot of good simple tech for street use blowers there. and connections for parts and service.

Like Tman says, the money is in everything else you need to get this on the engine.

22. - Aj -

- Aj -

23. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

Thanks guys,

AS of right now, I don't have a motor to put it on, or a project to even put that motor into if I did. I just thought it was a descent buy, and so I bought it. I know that the other parts are what get expensive. I will probably just hit the swap meets and various sites looking for used parts. If it takes me a year to buy all the parts on the cheap than so be it. I usually try and buy stuff up when its cheap, and hoard it until I find a use for it.

If I do ever decide to run it, I will just be using it for a mild street motor, nothing exotic or track oriented. I read the older post about blowers and it made me feel alot better.

I do know not to blast the gasket surfaces, or the gears, but was not sure about the inside of the case, or the rotors themselves. I would think that this would be bad for these surfaces, but I am not sure how to clean them up other than some time with the old polishing wheel.

Any advice here?

24. With that mindset you did fine. Just scrub stuff down, leave the scratch for now until you get serious. Have fun in the hunt for parts to make this work then hit abones guy for a rebuild!

25. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

You can always sell it to the guys making Max Max replicas.

26. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Now wait a minute! He didn't say it was a 2bbl.