Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mount alternator on differential???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bibb86, Mar 31, 2009.

1. bibb86

bibb86

i was thinking of mounting my alternator like this. what do ya'll think

Attached Files:

2. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Does the alternator going backwards when you reverse not affect anything electrically?

3. bibb86

bibb86

shouldnt be a problem with direction. i only worry about high rpm.

4. I think we have about 6 threads about this already. Search

5. How would the rearend see any higher RPMs than the motor?

6. bibb86

bibb86

i did the search and cant find anything what do i search for. it would create higher rpms cause of the gears in the tranny.

7. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Maybe not a big problem, but it wouldn't charge at idle.

8. I guess they work, because I've seen setups like that before. If the pulley is about the same size as a crank pulley, the rpms will be about right when it's in high gear cruising, but spinning pretty slow in lower gears.

The big problem is that it's not charging when you're sitting there stuck in traffic. Better have a good battery and turn off all the accessories, because everything will be running off the battery whenever you're not moving along.

9. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Certainly possible, but can't imagine how it is better than driving it off of the crankshaft.

10. bibb86

bibb86

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No charge when the wheels aren't turning and very low charge at anything short of highway speeds.

As someone else said there are several threads on this but I think it would still be better to tuck it down out of sight on the engine (maybe paint the case engine block color) and have a charging system that would keep the battery up. There are small case high output alternators around that should be easy to keep pretty well out of sight from the casual looker.

gnichols likes this.
  12. bibb86

bibb86

i would be doing it to get a clean look up front no other reason

13. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

You didn't just really say that did you? :confused:

LWEL9226 likes this.
  14. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Overdrive gears- but I wouldn't worry about it unless you plan on running 6000 rpm in you overdrive gear
    the biggest problem is going to be if you get stuck in traffic at night. Also, if it's like my alternator, that doesn't energize until 2000 rpm, it may be a problem in stop and go traffic as well. It's been done, and there are threads on it already. go for a search!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
    gnichols likes this.
  15. Psychographic

Psychographic

I have an 83 S-10 with hydraulic suspension, I used a setup like this to help keep my batteries charged. It worked fairly well, but I would'nt use it as the exclusive way to keep a charge for the car itself.

16. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I'm going to do the same thing on the shoebox, no way I'm putting an alternator on the flatty.

I cruised the car for 4 hours with the headlights on (in heavy traffic) before the battery gave up with no charging system at all. Genny failed and no time to fix it before the cruise started.

Had a spare bat with us for when it quit.

17. bibb86

bibb86

i was also thinking about running a stator off a motorcycle off of my water pump anyone had any experience on this

18. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Now that I haven't seen. That's an excellent idea.

19. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

I run a setup like that on my '33. I run a second battery with an isolator in case I get stuck for a while in traffic. I've had no trouble with mine. It's not a daily driver though.

Doc.

20. bibb86

bibb86

i figure i will be running a few lights ignition and an electric fan and thats about it. and now days a new harley will even run HID headlights which use a ton on power so they should run my few electronics

21. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

HID headlitghts have a large draw to start the arc but after they light up they actually draw a lot less than regular lites.

22. bibb86

bibb86

ohh ok i didnt know that.

23. bibb86

bibb86

any comments about the stator idea???

24. ...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  25. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I recall seeing an ad in Street Rodder some years ago for an alternator that was built into the water pump pulley, it looked pretty similar to what you're proposing. I don't remember the name of the manufacturer, and for whatever reason it seemed like it disappeared from the market pretty quickly.

26. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

I'v owned a few motorcycles over the years, and hooking them up to the battery charger every weekend is SOP.

I just cant imagine a [bike] system that's designed to run one headlight, one tail-light, and a starter smaller than an china-man's pecker on a 350cc motor is even going to begin to keep up with a car with A/C, electric fan, 500 watt stereo, 4 headlights, etc, etc, etc, etc.....

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. Paulz

Paulz

28. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

chryslerfan55 likes this.