Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help Clean my $1.00 seats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodjeep, Mar 31, 2009.

1. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

I bought these on Saturday at a farm aucion for a dollar.
    The size is just right for my pickup and my wife even likes them.
    I need some advice on how to get rid of the stain but keep the design in the vinyl.
    I searched alittle and found alot of posts on how to clean White interiors with bleach or bathroom cleaner:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202921&highlight=clean
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93868&highlight=clean

The vinyl has a texture on the seat and back reast but is smooth along the sides.
    Here are some Pics, and thanks for an help you can give.

Attached Files:

2. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

Simple Green?

3. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

I'll try and get some tonight, I'm just really worried about hurting the design in the vinyl. Maybe I'll try it on a few things before I do the seats.

4. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

Direct from the sight:

Automotive: Upholstery Follow label instructions and safety information.
    To clean with Original or Lemon Scent Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner:

Use a 1:30 solution of Simple Green and water.
    Apply by spraying in sections and provide agitation with a clean wet soft bristle brush.
    Rinse well with clean damp sponge, blotting and rinsing until there is no foam.
    Finish by blotting with a clean absorbent towel, microfiber, or extraction machine.
    Note: Not recommended for use on leather upholstery.

5. lowburban

lowburban

I second the simple green. Stuff is awesome.

6. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

thats what i was gonna suggest also ! looks like some tires got tossed on em , simple green should do the trick !

7. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I would personally use a "micro" cleaning soap like POR15s marine clean. It looks like what's on your seat is either tire grime/brake dust or carbon black from the tire itself. It needs a super deep penetrating soap and a ton of rinsing. And a long, soft brush to get down into the texture without damage. I might also wash, then rub down with an oily substance that won't harm the vinyl. Either armor all protectant or baby oil. Let it wick in for a few days, then repeat the cleaning. What'll happen is the moisturizer will bond with then contaminants, then you can remove the moisturizer and safely get one level deeper than soap and brushing will ever go.

If you've ever been the first person to care for a white letter or whitewall tire, you know exactly what I mean. They just don't come completely clean til a few applications of protectant to loosen the grime.

Think about how penetrating oils work on rust and crust. Soaps and cleaning solutions are no different. Ever wash your hands with clean oil cause they're too dirty for soap?

Good luck, that's a tough one.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  8. 27willys

27willys
    from indiana

do you know what the stain is? if it is grease or oil take the covers off and have them drycleaned. not at a one hour jobby but a good drycleaner. grease and oil will come right out. the only problem here would be any vynl. it becomes brittle in drycleaning. the problem with simple green is the water. if not dryed correctly it will leave a water ring. if you get them wet do no put them in a dryer. instant shrinkage. if you are forced to get them wet put them back on the seats to dry. this will help any draw up and maintain shape. also put a fan on them to speed up drying to avoid water marks. three things create shrinkage water, heat, and aggitation. remove one of the three and you should be fine. if you know what the stain is let me know. i work as a production manager at a drycleaner in indy and can help give you some advice on what you can do for spots. hope this helps.

9. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

I'm not sure what the stain is. My guess was an old Tire was left on the seat. These were probably in a barn or garage for who knows how long. I also rubbed the stained part and my finger stayed clean.
    Thanks for all the advise guys

10. I've had good luck with Simple Green and a stiff brush for grease and oil on vinyl or fabric.

11. Concrete B

Concrete B

those are great! My wife got a Mr Clean Magic eraser and itcleanedmarker off of our walls. Tire filth off a seat? $2.00 to try.

12. quit being cheap and stimulate the economy by getting them recovered. what do you have to lose since you only paid a dollar for them anyway.

13. I would suggest trying to find a product sold under the Malco brand called "Leather and Plastic Cleaner". Totally the best, and strongest cleaner I have found for vinyl. Check the local trim shops. If you cant find it, go with the Simple Green.

14. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

Well sure anyone could do that but I gotta be Kool and different, like HOT ROD magazine told me to.

15. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

news flash...Gojo Natural Orange Pumice hand cleaner.

The stuff works great taking body shop dust, paint overspray, and any greasy/oily stains off of vinyl.

Because it is ph-balanced for your skin, it won't hurt the vinyl.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

True, didnt think about that...

17. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Use Vinylex afterwards to put some moisture back into it after cleaning. It will also do some cleaning itself. Use it on my 8 year old white ragtop.

18. 21tat

21tat

Naptha works well for stains like that if the simple green won't. I think Naptha is the same solvent used in dry cleaning.

19. btmatt

btmatt

Second 3W on the hand cleaner. We used the pink GOJO back in the day to clean seats.

20. I agree with Shifty...let the stuff wick for awhile...don't get impatient and try to get it all out in 10 minutes...let the stuff work its magic...good luck

21. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

This is great guys, I never expected I'd get so much helpful feedback.
    Never underestimate the power of the H.A.M.B.

22. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

put up some pictures of them when they are nice and clean!

23. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

24. magec mike

magec mike

Just cleaned my seats from a 62 comet sat since 1972. you cant believe how dirty and spotted. used krud cutter(lowes) and LOC from Amway. there great. did not harm the vinyl.scrub with a hand brush and let it work. rinse with clear water, towel dry. kentucky 003.jpg

25. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

You might also try some Oxy clean with a mild detergent. But instead of scrubbing first wet the area, let it sit for a while then re-wet and suck it up with the wet vac. Usually this will get most of the stuff out without spreading it to the surrounding fabric or vinyl.

26. DrJ

DrJ

I got ATF and dirty crank case oil out of Wife's Van carpet after picking up a couple of engines with RESOLVE carpet cleaner. Works on upholstery too.

27. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

We all sound like as bunch of women telling eachother how to get a stain out of a blouse...

28. OLLIN

OLLIN

x2, that stuff works good and its not too harsh

29. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

Well ladies I've got my shopping list. Now I'm off to the market.:p:p
    I'll report back tomorrow on what I got done

30. chopped

chopped

If the stain was from a petroleum base use WD 40.