Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1928 Tudor AV8 Project from Mass.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cball, Mar 30, 2009.

1. cball

cball

I wanted to share my new project 28 Tudor. I have been working on this for a few months now but haven't had the time to share the project pics on the HAMB. Here are a few in the current stage. Chassis almost complete and body work to go. Black on black chassis, thinking about dove gray body?

1928 Model A Tudor body, 4" chop, w/duece grill shell
    40 Flathead
    39 Toploader
    40 Banjo and rear brakes
    42 front brakes with 39 lincoln drums
    39 pedal assembly
    56 F100 steering box and column
    4" dropped superbell axle and new front end components
    35 Wires
    700x16 rear firestones
    450x16 front firestones

[​IMG]
    http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv267/Millworks_photos/P1010039.jpg[?IMG]
    [IMG]http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv267/Millworks_photos/P1010040.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  2. floored

floored

Almost seems a shame to put a body on it.

3. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

sweet, looks good

4. cball

cball

Thank you, thats why I took so many pics. I love the look of a chassis coming to completion!

5. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Like EVERYTHING about it!

6. rick finch

rick finch

Wow..........that is a beautiful chassis! Folkstone Grey would look really nice on that body contrasting with the motor & chassis, nicely done!:cool:

7. cball

cball

Thank you very much.
    Folkstone grey? I am going to research that? I don't know what that is.

8. Jimmy2bottle

Jimmy2bottle

sick lookin project! makes me want to start cuttin up my stocker

9. rick finch

rick finch

cball, it is a Ford factory color I believe used in 1939 or 40. Check it out I think you will like it.

10. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Cball,

The chassis looks fantastic!

I am just wondering how the stock A frame is going to handle with using only the stock model A crossmember?

I built my coupe with the shortened '32 K member ( Tardel version) and it really stiffened the frame up and made the car handle alot better. I know the flatty isn't the torque monster a SBC is, but the stock frames do flex alot.

Just a thought before you completely assemble the car.

11. That's is one really nice, clean lookin' chassis. She's gonna be a beauty.

12. AV8 Dave

AV8 Dave

Yes, VERY nice!!! And you've only been on it a few months! I've been on mine for over eight years and you're ahead of me - colour me green (with envy!). Well done!! Regards, Dave.

13. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Great job!
    Nice to see an A chassis configured like a real fourties rod would have been.
    as for boxing..well it looks like a stock 85 horse motor to me, so Id say your fine.
    the backgrounds of the photos show you are a pretty methodical and organised guy! nice to see.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice and along the line that I have planned for the flathead I picked up a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to have to suscribe to this thread to see where it goes.

15. cball

cball

Thank you for all the kind comments.

Yes it is a fresh but stock 85 hp flatty, 39 trans, 40 rear with 3:78 gears. I wanted to keep the stock A frame and crossmembers for an early feel to the car. I also did not box the frame but welded all the crossmembers in and added a few subtle stiffeners at the rear cross member. The car is night and day over when I first started with the original. I did some research and talked with a few old timers and pros about the set-up and the concensus was that it would be more than fine with the driveline.

16. Your car is looking great!

This is Folkstone... and my old broken down gate.

Attached Files:

17. Hey, what do you have going on back there at the rear crossmember? Can't really tell from pics.

Rear crossmember looks awful close the your axle housings? Once that body goes on, the load is going to bring it closer. Maybe you got it figured or have a plan?

Nothing like the sound of doing 70 miles an hour down the road and you hit a bump, man... that bang goes right through you. I can feel it in my ass/neck now.
    I just wanted to say ass neck, thanks!

18. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

looks awesome. nice work.

19. Foul

Foul

Not only does the chassis look great, I'm also envious of your neighborhood.

dan

20. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

21. gashog

gashog

Looks good! I like the custom tranny mount you grafted to the stock crossmember. A heck of alot simpler and cheaper than adding a 32 K member. Be sure to let us know how it works out when you get the car on the road.

22. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Great build. I like it especially because it's not a coupe or roadster. Keep us posted on the progress.

Frank

23. Low Fat 38

Low Fat 38
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norton,Ma

CBAll, I thought your Roadster pickup was sharp,but this tudor kicks ass! Well done on the frame and chop. How did you get the rear down? T spring?

24. cball

cball

Thank you,
    I re-arched the original 40 spring. I think I need to add a few leafs to the top though to get a little bit more height for when the body is mounted. The spring is stiff and only moves about 1 inch with the body on it.

25. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

It will be more than fine.

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Beautiful. There is really nothing prettier then a freshly black painted chassid with a flathead V8 nestled between the rails and early ford spoked wheels grounding the entire package.

27. Jeffrey James said it! But I'll say it again, that all green flatty with those headers is so clean and bad ass.

And one other thing...I hate to be that guy, but maybe the front shock mounts on the frame could use a gusset to take some of the stress off of that welded tab. I could be wrong, so if I am don't get outta gear! haha.

I can't wait to see the finished product, that body looks cherry!!

-Steve

28. flash

flash

cball i love the early style of that! looks killer, as does your shop space. hope to see your tudor on the road this summer.

29. philo426

philo426

Man!With those megaphone pipes that thing will be loud!

30. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I hope those old timers are right and it will most likely get by, but it will not drive and handle like it should.............I have a 59A 85 hp flathead in my coupe and I would not have built it without the '32 K-member.

A stock model frame was not designed to have twice the horsepower and road speed.

The '32 stock frame was much, much more stronger than the model A for a small 21 stud V8-60 and 55-60 mph speed.

When you lay a stock model A frame on the ground and lift one corner it will twist or flex 6-10 inches, that is alot of movement going on as you drive around, brake etc.

If I were you I would spend the extra coin now and put in a shortened F-1 crossmember or a Tardel shortened '32 K-member and the car will drive and handle alot better.

It is just my opinion, because unlike the rest of these guys ( Gashog excluded) I have built a running driving AV8 Coupe. Seen in my avatar.

Attached Files: