Register now to get rid of these ads!

Our Garage caught fire and....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Renae, Mar 20, 2009.

1. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Fire sucks when it is on something it does not need to be on. I'm sorry.

However, the car doesn't look completely wasted, and it looks like it could have been much,much worse.

see, what we are all missing here is the problem is actually laundry. if we simply went naked, these types of situations would never arise.

stupid clothing. it's a danger, I tell Ya!

2. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

for those with long runs to the outside vent from the dryer,switch from that plastic shit to 4 inch stove pipe or even pvc drainpipe.or at least check for sags as thats where the lint piles up.sorry for your loss

3. Man that's a bummer...glad you are okay...

4. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

I like the way you think!

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Question: I read my homeowners policy and it says that vehicles on wheels or tracks are not covered. Does your homeowners insurance cover vehicles in the garage that are under constrction or not insured with a separate automobile policy. If so, what's the name of your homowners insurance company? Thanks.

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

An appliance tech told me that you should periodically clean out the lint build up inside your dryer and also cleanout the pipe and vent that goes up thru the celing because lint builds up and can catch fire from the dryer heat.

7. custom50

custom50
    from Indiana

I think I would argue that point with the insurance company, if the car had full coverage for sure it would be covered. I would think the homeowners should cover what's in the home or garage. Good luck, hope you can put some pressure on them to show you where it say's it's not covered.

8. HD74

HD74

That really sucks, I hope everything works out and stay on those insurance meatheads. Remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

dammit
    really sorry to hear this..sucks when these kinds of things happen..Ive had 2 experiances of bad fires in my life too.
    one Garage and one Home..both no fault of mine..one from an incandecent trouble light, the other electrical fault in an older home..never a good thing.
    1st fire lost it all , was unemployed at the time and insurance took a back seat to eating and survival..second fire many many years later was well insured and recovered fairly well..
    lesson learned...i hope.
    but you do what you have to do with what you have and can at that time in your life..i wish you well and hope you can recover from this..

like you said,,its good to be alive.

10. Squablow

Squablow

I'm going to be re-assembling a '52 Buick in a couple months that was also burned in a fire. Looked like your car did. The heat broke some of the glass, including the windshield, and burnt a lot of the paint off, but it was otherwise OK, this one should be fixable too.

It sucks, but in the end it should be repairable.

11. ardunpinto

ardunpinto
    from WACO tx

Thats the shits. I look out the window all night long and pray that all is see are bugs flying around the guard light. Two years ago I built or had built, two new buildings thew were 8 days old and a dam tornado took one of them smoothe out. luckily they were no cars in them yet. Now the new buildings are for storing cars with no electricity, nothing even the batterys are disconected. then the other shop is to work / build them. Weather, fire and thieves scare me to deth.

12. striper

striper

Exactly why my drier is in the house. I'd hate to lose my shed.

Sorry for your bad news.

13. i'm super paranoid about fires mainly because none of the projects are covered (regular insurance wont cover projects and collector cars ins will ONLY if you have another running car with them). so i NEVER leave the house with anything like that on (i even turn off all the lights) and i hang out in the garage for at least a 1/2 after i weld. sorry you have to deal with the insurance........

14. so.iron

so.iron

my worst nightmare ...my washer and dryer are in the garage too

15. CalrewireMatt

CalrewireMatt

sorry to hear about your bad luck. However, Ive seen much much worse that was salvageable. I bet a weekend worth of cleaning it and replacing plastic items and your good to go. Thankfully the way they used to build em were mostly metal and heavy gauge at that. Id be willing to throw a few bucks that if the car ran before it would probably still fire up. Its not a total loss but these kind of things look a lot worse than they are. Id worry more about getting the home for your car back in check than worrying that the car itself is a goner.

16. Renae

Renae

well just to update you all things are workin out with insurance and the car is fixable...thank you all for your comments and it sucks being without a garage thats my second favorite place to be :(

17. moter

moter

Good Luck to ya Bro! Hope everything works out ok.

18. layin_frame_56

layin_frame_56
    from Ohio

DANG that sucks sorry to hear about that..

19. TIMAAHH

TIMAAHH
    from Florida

everyone should def. go back to drying clothes on the clothes line!

20. chopt31

chopt31

wow, thats sucks, but the good thing is your house is ok, and YOUR ok

i doubt any homeowners insurance will cover a car, believe me, i know...

21. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Curious that the lint cuased the fire to start by contacting the car cover. Was it static electricity? What was cover made from that would spark so much that it spontaneuosly combusts?
    If I were an insurance adjustor I would be looking real close at the claim. Driers will catch fire quite often because of blocked filters,synthetics melting in the drier and timers jamming so the machine keeps running.
    I have run Laundromats as a side line and I think I've seen it all with Driers ,including a flue system that was 50 years old and had never been cleaned...:eek:. The lint didn't burn though,the hot exhaust had no place to vent so the clothes were taking too long to dry.Great for business.

22. damn that sucks , glad no one was hurt material stuff even though its a pain in the ass to replace , it can be replaced , best of luck with the insurance company..

23. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Double check that. I've never heard of a home owners policy covering a motor vechile whether it is running or not. Home owners policies only cover vechiles used to maintain the property such as riding lawn mower or tractor.

They aren't the only ones that have cleaned that out for you.:rolleyes::D
    Turn around RIGHT NOW, stand up, reach over and pull that lint vent out and clean it cuz I KNOW it's full.:p

and if you don't understand what is covered and not covered call your agent and have them explain till you do.;)

I know Big Olds is covered by Grundy. Rusty Olds is not covered by anything and neither is my snowmobile. My lawn mower, and everything else in my garage, is covered by my homeowners at a percentage of contents of the house.

I can't think of a reason to throw lint on the ground instead of in a garbage can.