Register now to get rid of these ads!

2nd gear/ thanks dad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by James66g, Mar 30, 2009.

1. James66g

James66g

So I lost 2nd gear today. I dont mean this in oddly descriptive tone or a metaphore for my feelings on some event I mean.....quite literally I lost 2nd gear. I heard it die as I entered the on ramp. I know the sound of expensive and that high pitched shriek and thunk was it. as I tested and watched and listened and trouble shot determining by rpm vs speed and the feel of tension between gas pedal and velocity, I had lost 2nd gear. Odd fact, did you know that 2nd gear is also sometimes reverse? I wasnt sure but when I had to back out of a parking spot and couldnt, well thats a hell of a clue. Luckily my dads early training of me in the secret art of being a tractor allowed me to push my truck up hill out of a parking spot. (thanks dad) Actually being able to tell what failed while driving seconds after the failure is also due to my dad (thanks dad again).

What an odd time to become cognizant of a gift and a piece I will always carry with me from my father. ( thanks again again Dad.) Ill take the Truck in to the GMC dealer tomorrow as its under warranty (my daily) and I will.... and this I vow punish a rental car for 2nd gears failure. I know this seems OT but I this weekend will mark a year since I lost my Dad. Gonna be strange breakin somthin and not gettin the "you cant drive everything like its on fire!" speach, out loud any way. I know Dad.

Ernie Griffin 38/08 rip

Attached Files:

2. Bigjake

Bigjake

Sorry to hear that he's gone. Glad to hear that he taught you well. Love the T-Bird and his stance.

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

You are very fortunate to be able to recognize what he gave you and to appreciate it.

4. haymaker

haymaker
    from Enid, OK

Sounds like you have a 1/2 GM pickup and you broke a reaction shell you also lost 4th gear in addition to 2nd and Rev. Real common problem those shells are soft from the factory and they now make an aftermarket one called "The Beast" Good luck. The dealer will more than likely just put a GM rebuilt in it.

5. zbuickman

zbuickman

yep that is what the dealer will do and it too will go out....very common:eek:

6. James66g

James66g

Yea that's just what they said I was ae to drive her home had no 2nd but 3rd and 4th were fine they replaced the guts under warranty and have me a 12 month or 30 thousand mile warranty so should be fine glad I got the extended watanty saved. 1200 bucks if the old man was around I'd be hatassin him about how this shot would nev happen if both a ford! Ill look into the "beast" if I upside the rims