Register now to get rid of these ads!

mexican blankets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jasonp, Mar 30, 2009.

1. jasonp

jasonp
    from Aurora,IL

Anyone have a good source for mexican blankets? I'm not having much luck finding any (short of going to Mexico).:confused:

2. maybe this is a dumb question, but what should authentic mexican blankets be made of?

I bought a couple at a touristy place in AZ and they were synthetic, not even 100% cotton... shouldn't they be cotton/wool/alpaca?

--steve

3. Super cheap on ebay

4. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

don't even think Google or the classifieds could help ya there

5. Jesus H, where I live they're everywhere. Blowing out the window of every run down apartment or trailerhouse in town. They can't be that hard to find. Try a truck stop. Also, I would figure if it says "hecho en Mexico" on it somewhere, you got a winner.

6. DrJ

DrJ

If you don't personally go to TJ and barter for your own best price yourself you don't deserve to pose with a Mexican Blanket in your car!

Reason being, some styles are traditional only in their own pre-eBay, pre-WWW regions and they ID the car as being from that region.
    In the midwest you should rightly be using a US army blanket, not a Mexican blanket.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  7. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Bought a wool blanket in Dallas years ago...the tag stitched to the corner said "Hecho en Mexico"
    Looked all over it expecting to find another tag that'd been removed i'ding it from another point-of-origin...None.

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went to Mexico and all I found was the Rialto towers, Spencer Street and the West Gate Bridge!:rolleyes:

9. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

man i got so many and not a one on a car seat i use them as blankets, i buy mine in rosarito or puerto nuevo cause its cheeper than tj

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You can buy them at any large truck stop, I'm told. Also "South of the Border" just over the NC border in SC.

11. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Why would the army blanket represent the midwest? Im in the Army and live in the midwest but I am the exeption. Most of the active Army posts are in the south anyways.

12. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Do a search here AND stop at a truck stop!

13. H3O

H3O

what the heck are you talkin about? i live in the midwest, grown up with army guys, but that doesn't mean we can't have mexican blankets. i have a mexican blanket in mine and i'm proud to say i'm in the midwest!

14. Greasy1

Greasy1

Loves truck stop has them by the dozen. They are like $5.00 each. My house, cars and cabin are loaded with em' !!!

15. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

You mean, even if I'm half Mexican, I can't have a Mexican blanket in my own car, because, I didn't personally go to TJ and barter for it. Jeeesh, your a tough one to please.

16. H3O

H3O

same here. i'm half, but i got mine at a truck stop for 7 bucks.

i guess you are a tough one.

17. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

I buy cheapo horse saddle blankets here in Oklahoma. These are more like navajo style. $14 for 60x36. worked great for my back seat. Got it at Atwoods. Any tack supply will have them too. The trucks stops were $20 each, I got mine for $14 and they were a little heavier.

18. DrJ

DrJ

Wife is 1/2 Mexican too.
    I'm 1/2 Texan but don't own a Stetson. ;)
    We currently have a Mexican blanket thrown on the usta-be white till the cat puked on it couch in the front room... :D

SF Valley is cool with me for a MB because they were common in the day.
    I just get weirded out seeing all the "East Coast Style" severely channelled rods with them.
    Especially around here on the Left Coast.
    They just look out of place.

If "we" are going to build '30's-'60's style traditionally, it only makes sense to have some respect for what was traditional in your region of the world at that time. (If your region had a tradition then, that is.)

19. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Yea, totally. I got mine at the Grand National Roadster show a few years ago. It was given to me by Highboy Girl, (AKA Faith). And, if I feel like it, I will run it. I don't need some professor telling me that if I didn't go chase it down, I can't legitimately use it. That's a bunch of crap, is what that is professor.:eek:

20. H3O

H3O

yeah, no kiddin.

21. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

OK, sounds like you relented some. So, I'll get of my soap box now and say thank you. No harm, no foul. Have a nice day.;)

22. The midwest had many military installations till the cold war era. This area had alot of surplus stuff, helmets, tools, gear and yes... wool blankets. They still show up at garage sales. Some are the larger Vietnam era pieces. Maybe old hand made quilts would be more farm country style. They were often covering worn seats when I was a kid.

23. whatever

whatever

you guys are a riot my car sports one and im a northerner but i did jew a mexican in mexico for mine lol

24. Well, to answer your question I have an actual Mexican blanket made out of some brownish grey wool. My wife (girlfriend back then) almost died in one of those circus wagon looking local busses in the mountains outside Cuernavaca procuring it for me. She was living there for a summer and thought I would dig it. Thing is huge and weighs about 15 pounds. The wool is rather unprocessed and oily. Works so well that I carry it on 18th century treks as the loom it was made on is prob from the 16th century. Kept me warm down to 20 below.

But I digress. ;)

25. its funny to see all this hype over these so called mexican blankets. growing up in the S.F.V. in the 80's it was common to see GM g body cars with them on the back seat. i used them to cover tears on the upholstery my chebies.

26. johnboy13

johnboy13

That's how I got mine, about 8 years ago now, 10 for fifty bucks and a big ass pocket knife thrown in to boot. I gave away most of them, but I think I have three or four left. I'll sell them to you for five bucks a piece plus shipping. Let me see if I can dig them out.

27. flatford39

flatford39

Living in Aurora I would suggest you start looking at garage sales in the Spanish neighborhoods. Gotta be some there.

28. sedan33

sedan33

How about gunney bags?
    [​IMG]

29. Back in the time we revere, Army surplus stores were everywhere. If you had a blue car, you looked for an Airforce blanky, Navy ones were grey, if that fit your color, you got that. Army Olive Drab looks right on a car with red oxide primer spots. Only in the Happy Days/Rumblefish 50s were blankets on the seats a fashion statement. In the real 50s blankets were used to keep springs from poking you in the butt.

It won't be too long before all us old guys will pass on. Then you can have the 50s you desire. Until then, some of us will call bullshit when we see it.

30. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Mine came from TJ, Mexico.