Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 55 Ranch wagon engine job

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakespeed63, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Last weekend, while in Cleveland, me and my Bro' (Mr Tomato Head) managed to get rebuilt 272 Y-block dropped in his wagon and running, despite running into numerous snags. Between lost bolts, no exhaust manifolds and multiple trips to the local auto parts store, ended up taking way longer then planned. Cold weather couldn't stop two determined individuals either. Hey, just work faster, you'll warm up.:D Big thanks to Don Moyer and Stan, from the Slick Devils C.C. for helping us procure a much needed set of headers/exhaust. Also for a tech tip of using a12 volt battery to help spin the new motor over fast enough, to get it to fire.
    You shoulda seen the smile on his face ,when the Y-Block finally came to life. The open headers sounded way cool too! :cool: Hoping to have it Sea-Worthy in time for Station wagon show, Sandusky Ohio, in June.
    http://www.oldride.com/events/1858133.html

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Attached Files:

2. BISHOP

BISHOP

I love those wagons.

3. :mad::mad: Now I'm scared, Nads just informed me that these 2bbl carbs have a habit of leaking and catching fire. I did a complete rebuild of it, although when we where cranking the engine and the little bit it ran, I did notice some seapage between the baseplate and bowl gasket. ??? Some old things are fine, but may need to upgrade to a modern carb. Wonder what else fits that intake manifold??
    JT

4. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Cool, I'd love to see it in person and meet your brother too.

5. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I think its a 3 bolt carb, try an adapter and go with one of the auto lite later carbs, or go with a 57 4 bbl intake and a holley will bolt on. thanks for helping the brother. not all are close. jim.

6. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

early 60's motorcraft 2 bbls will fit that manifold. Holleys should too. I had a motorcraft 2 bbl on my 272. It cost like $15 for the rebuild kit from the local parts store, no leaking issues like the earlier "towering infernos", ran perfect and got over 20 mpg

edit, jim is right, mine was a 57 manifold that was 4 bolt

7. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Really? I don't remember Ford getting sued all the time for all the years they used the Holley 94.

Remember, you put together a DRY carb with DRY gaskets. Some gasket material is made to be a little wet, some dry. But almost all rebuilt carbs, once full of fuel, will seep a little. And wherever you see a leak, take your screwdriver and give the corresponding screw a little more of a snug. The worst you have is the need to take the carb back down, and use a VERY FLAT SURFACE and some fine sandpaper, and carefully get the mating surface a little more flat.

Hope this helps. I'm sure one of the carb gurus could jump in here and offer even better information than what I know.

The brave part of your story is that you kept the 272. :D

8. Ole don

Ole don

The Y blocks are great engines, when properly redone. When redoing any carb, soak both sides of all the gaskets with WD 40. They will seal better, and they will be reusable.
    If that leaky carb is a three bolt, it is not the towering inferno.

9. Asshole Garage

Asshole Garage
    BANNED
    from Sandy Utah

Cool ride 1 LOOKS LIKE YOU HAD A GOOD day , for Cleveland ! I don't remember too many sunny days during the 25+ years I lived there. Longroofs @ Sandusky ? Wow that sounds good, be sure to post pics ,,,Please!

10. RAY With

RAY With

I drove y-block power many years and many thousands of miles with stock and highly modified and never had any 2bb leak or fire. That's news to me and of course you had the gasket seepage or dark discoloration at the top but hot rodders kept it clean for the most part. One thing over looked on Yblocks is the front and back bolt under the valve covers are 3 threads longer and if put any other location you will definitely blow a head gasket. I guarantee it!! Over all if done right you will enjoy many years of cruising without problems.

11. A Rodder

A Rodder

If you find a 4 barrell intake and go that route, I put a 500 edelbrock on my 292 and it runs GREAT

12. Ramblur

Ramblur

Man,that tan looks out of place for Cleveland this time of year...:p
    Great job bringing the beast back to life!

13. Hey Fella's, really appreciate all the info. Once cooling system is all put together, he can fire it up and let it run long enough to break in the cam. During this time, the leak issue can be observed. Firm believer in having a fire extinguisher on hand during these operations. Can't be too careful when dealing with 50+ yr old parts.
    Budget may not allow for a 4bbl intake and carb, unless some miracal happens. But not totally opposed to a 2bbl upgrade.
    As far as proper head bolt installation.. very good to know, although this engine was done by a local shop, not me. So, hopethey knew about the long and the short of it.
    As far as the 272 is concerned, this is not some Gasser headedf for the Roun-up or Hamb Drags. Merely a family cruiser. Glad we upgraded the cam with a Isky unit and the headers seem like a no brainer. Those early wrap-around exhaust look scary!!:eek:

14. RAY With

RAY With

Glad we upgraded the cam with a Isky unit and the headers seem like a no brainer. Those early wrap-around exhaust look scary!!:eek:[/quote]
    I would like to see a shot when completed along with a header shots. Good project you got going. The 55 was my very first new car and what a hoot it was over my modfied flatty power.