Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever had an automobile "expert" stop at your house/garage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldfart, Mar 28, 2009.

1. A guy stopped at my house while I was working on the 57 Sedan Delivery and asked me "what kinda car is that". I told him that it is a 57 Chevy Sedan delivery ,and he said "Chevy didnt make a delivery in 57 its gotta be a station wagon or a Nomad with the windows painted"
    I told him that Chevy made at least one,& this is it.;)
    Dont cha love it?

2. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

It seems like lots of "experts" call Sedan Deliveries and regular 2 door wagons Nomads. You should have told him how yours came from the factory with a "rare option" 454.

3. guys like this are all over. they give us someone to laugh at.

4. havi

havi

Deer pics of my backyard, eh?, lol. Safe to assume they didn't know the difference between a sedan delivery and a panel truck, then neither. But on the flipside, at least you had someone stop by. Nobody stops by mine....perhaps that's a good thing. :rolleyes:

5. I had someone correct me on the pronunciation of my last name(???); apparently I'd been saying wrong all these years. They aren't limited to the car world...

6. RAY With

RAY With

Know what you mean-Been there done it. I have a 1952 Ford courier (first year made) and get the same thing-I see you took all the windows out and welded them up-No sir its a sedan delivery production car--Well I never heard of it--SO the beat goes on

Attached Files:

• 52.jpg
      52.jpg
      File size:
      13.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  7. Lstude

Lstude

8. Clowns live amongst us. I can't believe someone would have the nuts to tell you how to pronounce your own name. Unbelievable!!

9. I haven't had anyone stop by, but I tend to shut down conversations... guys will start running off at the mouth about car stuff, and I just mention that I have an old car.. and they shut up...? Maybe they know I can smell the BS.

10. rick finch

rick finch

What, you weren't pronouncing "McQueen" correctly?;)

11. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

LOL that is really funny. I get that all the time myself :)

12. WQ59B

WQ59B

>>"I can't believe someone would have the nuts to tell you how to pronounce your own name. Unbelievable!!"<<

Sometimes, some ethnic names get 'Americanized' WRT pronunciation, so the idea there's room for a 'more correct' pronunciation is legit, IMO. I have a long Slavic last name, growing up I used to do the same thing unintentionally, but I have begun to say it more 'authentically' in the last # of years.

13. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

I have a '66 Chevy panel I that used to be my daily driver. A guy at work looked in the back of it one time {all original, no mods} & asked who made it. I replied "General Motors". To which he says, "No, who made the back part of it?" He was about the same age as me and I guess he had never seen one. Takes all kinds I guess.

14. SapienKustom

SapienKustom
    from Merced, CA

Theres a buddy of ours that seems to know everything. Its really funny. A least we can get a few laughs out of it!

15. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

thats interesting,chevy list the sedan delivery in the truck ads,and the car ads?

16. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

What never ceases to amaze me are the ones who come to my shop with one of my freinds, then tell me how they'd have done things if they had my car. "I woulda used a big block, and that color doesn't do the car justice, why is it so low, you'd get more power with a single carb, you should put rack and pinion steering in it, those headers don't work as well as the ones I read about in the magazines, blah, blah, blah..."

17. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

They're out there...and they WILL find you!!

Had a guy come into a hobby shop I hang out at and he was going on about how the 302 engines in 67-69 Z28 Camaros had the same size intake and exhaust valves. He was furiously adamant about it, too...insisting that both valves were the same size "for high rpm use". We couldn't convince this Bozo that they had 2.02" intake valves and 1.60" exhaust valves...he just wouldn't hear it! He claimed that BOTH valves were 2.02". When I asked how they fit 4.04" worth of valve in a 4.001" bore (margins be damned), he said "they bored 'em out at the factory"!

The other day at the restaurant, two old guys were looking out the window and offering expert commentary on every older vehicle that passed by. An old Chevy pickup went by and Expert #1 says "Lookit that old 67 Chivvy pickup!" and Expert #2 offers "That might be a 65, but it's in the 60s for sure!" (It was a 58!!) They continued at it, too...upon seeing a mid-70s Dodge Magnum go by, one of them blurted out "That's a car like Starsky & Hutch drove!". Their stunning intellect wasn't limited to automotive knowledge, either! A plane flew over, prompting one of them to launch into an informative discussion on how "Bad guys fly planes now to smuggle stuff because cops can't pull an airplane over!". Ha Ha...of course, why didn't I think of that...in this day and age, there's virtually NO sign of Law Enforcement at the airports! What a perfect place to engage in criminal activity!!!

:rolleyes::D

18. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Well If your last name was Colliau then you could have all the fun I have and to top it off I have cousins in texas that pronounce it differently ? I had people stop here a lot too.. Most of em were normal but i did get the occasional expert. Best to just let em talk and after they run out of shit to say they will just leave..
    Dave

19. Had a young kid come down and look at a 59 Rambler that I had for sale...actually said "I consider myself somewhat of a car expert"...first of all he asked when it had to be smogged again...then he asked why the battery looked different and I explained that it was a 6 volt system...there were more comments like that from him but you get the idea

20. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

That's when I whip out a twenty and say this says that they did. Put up or shut up!:D

21. RAY With

RAY With

Scary thing is they reproduce!!!

22. Come on, Tommy, this ain't 1965 anymore. You gotta whip out a $50 to scare 'em away nowadays. You know, inflation and everything:D

23. smittystoys

smittystoys

ive had i dont know how many guys come in my shop and swear they know where there is a 32 ford or a nomad.......alltho it doespay to check out what people are telling you beacause ive found two 32 sedan bodys in the last year...so you never know.....:)

24. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

At various car shows young and old pass the lake pipes on my 57' 365" Caddy and say, "Oh it's one of them old Cadillac 6 bangers". Apparently they don't understand siamese ports?

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I was told this morning that my 57 Buick weighed over 6,000 lbs.

I laughed and told them that it was just over 4,000 stock and this one weighted less than that.

26. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Well the combustion chambers are concave so there actually is more than the bore size surface area in there. :p

27. most of the time when those type of guys stop by ,, I call my wife out because she really knows everything about everything.... I let them do battle while I turn wrenches, and sip on a beer

28. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

That even happened to my neighbor, and on TV...

[​IMG]

29. I get the same thing with my '65 Chevy panel delivery project - "Is that factory?" or "My Dad had one exactly like that, except it was a '47 and it had a factory 350 in it!".

My O/T '66 Dodge Coronet has a 361 BB in it - the last year for that engine in cars. I get "You sure that's not a 360, right?" or "That's a 383 in there!" or "What are you doing with an Edsel engine in a Mopar?". I've owned the car since 1980 and am the second owner. I know what the car has, thanks.

Buffoonery everywhere.

30. :rolleyes:That makes two 57 delivery's mine came with a 9" late ford with disc brakes and tuned port injection.;)