Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help ID this Trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Concrete B, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Concrete B

Concrete B

My neighbor wants me to take a transmission in trade for my pitbike. The details are vague, but he is an honest dude. Lived next door for 4 years.

The details are few, The tag says Hydramatic, It has a large number 54 on the top of the casting. The number on the tag says 78-PY-17967. I don't know jack about transmissions. He says it might have 100 miles on a $1200 rebuild (likely story, I know), but theres not a spot of grease on it. It definately looks rather unused. It has sat for several years in his shed.

I'm looking for an ID, and a price range this thing could fetch (and an IM if you want it, lol). I've got nothing in the bike, but want to know what I'm in for.

Update: I recall him mentioning an Iron Duke he first time he told me about this trans a few weeks ago.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  2. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

The owner can't ID it? WTF?

3. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

A pix would help

4. Concrete B

Concrete B

I'll see if I can pop back over with a camera for a pic.

Yes, he can't ID it. I don't recall how he said he ended up with it. He's not a rodder at all. He picks up projects to keep busy, some old some late model. Hes been trying to trade it off for several years at least. I think thats probably how he got it in the first place.

5. Concrete B

Concrete B

bump. I'll try to get that pic tonight if I see him out.

6. RAY With

RAY With

Keep the pit bike-If the transmission has been setting for several years the clutch hub seals are definately dry.

7. haymaker

haymaker
    from Enid, OK

A picture would help alot. And if it has been rebuilt and then run and then sat for a few years, the internal seals have probably all hardened up and it will need "refreshed" before it will probably even move.

8. Concrete B

Concrete B

Regardless, I at least want to help him sell it. He is retired and doesn't have a computer. I didn't get the pic today. Maybe tomorrow.

9. Concrete B

Concrete B

I didn't make it for a pic today, but I recall him mentioning an Iron Duke he first time he told me about this trans a few weeks ago if that helps at all.

10. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Get a pic then post. No need to keep telling us you can't get a pic.

11. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

does it have a torque converter?