Register now to get rid of these ads!

Memories of Santa Ana Drags.....a kid in awe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cruzr, Mar 27, 2009.

1. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

The Snack Shop, I worked there. We also had fruit pies. I left them in the oven just
    a little too long so they would blow the top loose and take them home occasionaly.

2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Thanks Shoprat...:)

[​IMG]

3. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

4. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not only remember, but participated,---It was always a long drive from Inglewood to Santa Ana on Manchester blvd. (Before freeways), but when we spotted that big tall radio tower on the right side we knew that was where we would head South to the blimp hangars in 1954.
    Yes 'ol C.J. hart was a colorful character, after him they got a guy to do the flagging dressed up like an indian, remember him?
    I still have an old ticket from there, back then it was 50 cents admission, that covered the "pits" too!!!
    "Regulars" were the "Bean Bandits" Joaquin Arnett from San Diego, "Bustle Bomb" (2 engines, Cad & Olds) "Chrisman Bros.", "Scotty's Muffler" from San Berdo.,----And a whole bunch more I can't re-colect----Brain fade at 76!!!!!-----------Don

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Peggy Hart , P.J.'s wife...quite a driver

[​IMG]

6. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

7. cruzr

cruzr

Harmony Park.........brings back fond memories, also the Rondevous Ballroom,Balboa,where Dick Dale played!

8. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

9. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

10. JMPRO

JMPRO
    from So Cal

My band and I palyed the Rendezvous Ballroom a couple of time after D.D. left but in spite of what a hack he was his following was his following and didn't want any replacements.

JMPRO

11. cruzr

cruzr

"Cruzr, let us know if we're getting off topic..."

Mazooma.........its ok........Orange County has so much history,and its kinds neat to recall it all!

around "Rondevous Ballroom era, i had a 31 A sedan,and during "Bal Week" {Easter Vacation}we would rent a apartment at Bal Isle, and cruise the A around looking for chicks. The Beach Boys used to open for Dick Dale and at that time Glen Cambell played with them. We couldnt wait for Dick to play ,no one knew the Beach Boys very well then.

12. My mom grew up in Santa Ana (and so did I) and graduated from Santa Ana High in 1958. She met my Pop at Santa Ana College. Both have told me stories about Merles, the In and Out, The Dugout and The Tophat bar on 17th (that was mainly form Dad) :rolleyes:. Our family used to own Washington Cleaners on South Main Street. Dad was also part of the Hunters car club in Santa Ana through the Elks Club as an advisor. Pretty cool to hear other folks "remembering" the same things.

On a side note, I met this guy a while back at a car show. He said that the car he was driving (attached here) belonged to Creighton Hunter. Anybody want to confirm this fact? I don't know if the guy is a HAMB'er or not.

Attached Files:

13. cruzr

cruzr

yup thats for real, Creightons old car

14. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Easter Week, 1968
    corner of 51st and Seashore
    Newport Beach
    We'd rent the place at 5109 Seashore every year

[​IMG]

15. cruzr

cruzr

heres the menu from the Bean Hut,my how prices have changed

Attached Files:

16. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

17. Special Ed

Special Ed

Stan "the man" and Kenneth.

Attached Files:

18. cruzr

cruzr

cool pic, ive never seen that one.

19. Member that delivery well- Mom and Pops had a house on 'C' street in Balboa that me and my buddies used every "Bal Week" from 62 thru 70 or so. I had my Blown Olds 32 3window hi-boy in 68.
    No problem get the chicks then.

20. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I've got a video made by Don Tuttle of the Santa Anna drags - footage from back in the day, made by the announcer back then.

Priceless stuff

21. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

ya I started to go to santa ana in 1978 with chuck lombardo and larry wagner when I worked at california street rods and one of the best nites was the fox hunt on wednesday nite,hotrods and all the girls got in free.

22. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

That must have been OCIR, not Santa Ana

http://www.nitroactive.net/images/ocirfoxsm.jpg

23. That wasn't Santa Ana - that was OCIR, AKA "The County" Orange County International Raceway which was in Irvine. Born in 1967 - Died 1983
    [​IMG]

24. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

25. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

OCIR in the glory days

[​IMG]

26. cruzr

cruzr

I had a vip lifetime pass to OCIR,Mike McKenna gave it me , he was one of the guys that started it up.

27. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

The Bill and Marie Jenks Annual "Santa Ana Drags Reunion and Main Malt Picnic" is scheduled for 10:00 AM, Saturday, April 4, 2009. The place will be in Santiago Park, along the Santiago Creek, off Memory Lane, east of Main Street, in Orange. Going north on Main Street from Santa Ana or south from Orange on Main Street, turn east on Memory Lane. Go east on Memory Lane for about a 1000 feet to the first street and turn right, which leads down into the creek to a concrete parking area. Bring your albums of the Santa Ana Drags, food, drinks and folding chairs. For more information call Leslie Long at 714-921-1814, who is the coordinator for the event. Marie Jenks started this reunion to honor the pioneers of the 1950's Santa Ana Dragstrip, where drag racing came of age. Check Mapquest or call Leslie for directions. Richard Parks, editor of the Society of Land Speed Racing Historians newsletter, on www.landspeedracing.com.

28. corvettes2007

corvettes2007

Hello everyone, First I am brand new to this forum and have to tell you I have really enjoyed reading about the good old days. I was born in Santa Ana 1946 grew up in Santa Ana , Garden Grove & Costa Mesa.. I was a hot rod junkie like most of you growing up and starting building cars at 14 but finished few. 27 tall tee, 34 olds coupe and 40 ford coupe. By 16 had a 56 Bel Air with posts, 301(283 punched 1/8) and 4 speed. I was a member of the Hunters Car Club in the mid 60’s and spend many a night cruising & racing out of both Oscars; Santa Ana & Garden Grove. Raced at Lions mostly No more hot rods today unfortunately but still very much a car guy going to the shows and admiring your cars. I got back into Corvettes after my kids finished school because for a short time before being drafted I had a 62 so I have had a few over the years but down to 2 now and still drive the crap out of them. Just wanted to thank you guys for the memories and let you know there are probably many like me that enjoy your posts. Thanks again Larry

29. Hey Larry...nice to come across another Hunter on the board after all this time. Did you know Jerry Garcia as well? He worked for my father at the cleaners and was also a Hunter. He is still local and has his plaque on his panel. I'd love to pass along your last name as well as the car you drove back then to my Dad to jog his memory a little....:D

Attached Files:

30. Jim Stabe

Jim Stabe

My uncle lived in Orange and ran a 1936 Ford coupe at the drags. I was probably about 12 when he took me to the Santa Ana drags for the 1st time. It must have been 1957 or so because I remember a new '57 T-Bird that was running. He got me a chance to sit in the Calvin Rice Hot Rod Magazine Special dragster in the pits. It was a Potvin front mounted blower on a Hemi. My biggest memory was how hard the clutch was to push in and how weird it felt having center section of the rear end between my legs. Brings back memories of the good times.