Register now to get rid of these ads!

Traditional ????? 1939 ford coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hidollartoys, Mar 20, 2009.

1. hidollartoys

hidollartoys
    from kc metro

I have posted here before about my 1939 ford coupe. Since I have been lerking here, it has come to me that I should consider a "traditional" approach, but want to stay away from a flattie.

I was thinking straight front axle(I already have this) but need ideas for the rest of the build. Things like motor(maybe 409), tranny (3 speed?) rearend(55-57 chevy), brakes, etc. I have seen some "traditional" builds here but not 35-40 fords. Maybe fenderless, hoodless, side exit headers.

2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For gods sake keep the fenders on it there is NOTHING worse than a fat fenderd car without fenders.
    For motor you gotta go with a Nailhead!

3. there won't be a Damn Thing TRADITIONAL about a fenderless 39 Ford. Keep Lurking and you'll get it, hopefully

4. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I'll bet you find that a nice nailhead will cause you the least problems in a swap.

and yes, leave the fenders on - hoodless 39/40s bring back some fond memories from 'the early days' when we were proud of our 2x2 flatties with all the pretty stuff on them - but the fenders were never removed permanently on any fattie.

dj

5. flatjack

flatjack

Is it a DeLuxe or a Standard?

6. yes, keep the fenders and the hood on. the 409 would be nice , but there are better rears to choice from other than a `57 chevy rear if you want to put some tires under the fenders. i suggest a early bronco 9 inch or a ford granada ..both are 58" wide. if you want a stick tranny , why not a 4 or 5 speed

7. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Fenders left on, Nose down, Hoodless, Black, Nailhead, 4 speed, White firewall, Dump tubes, Chrome reverse rims,e.t.c.

Nick.

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

fenders on, I like them with hoods and shiny paint...

9. Yeah, I'd keep the fenders!

10. MLK

MLK

Search on here for 1940 Fords....should return lots of traditional Fat Fenders.

From what you are saying, I think there is some confusion about what a 'traditional 1939 Ford looks like.

Stay tuned.

Mike

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That may be because no period has been chosen:

A traditional late 40s 39 Ford Coupe.
    A traditional early 50s 39 Ford Coupe.
    A traditional late 50s 39 Ford Coupe.
    A traditional early 60s 39 Ford Coupe.
    A traditional mid-60s 39 Ford Coupe (that's where the 409 comes in!)

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Some photos for inspiration
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Yes is does depend on what "decade" of traditional you want. Here's a few more to peruse.........

No intro needed here;

[​IMG]

local 40.........

[​IMG]

and a couple I robbed off the HAMB.......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. hidollartoys

hidollartoys
    from kc metro

It is a standard but I have collected some deluxe trim pieces and guages.

15. hidollartoys

hidollartoys
    from kc metro

I have seen some racing fat fords that have the fenders removed. Was considering the "racing" (dirt track) theme.

16. Miles

Miles
    from Western MA

The pics posted by hotrodladycrusr and OL 55 are GREAT sources for visual inspiration. In fact, the last pic from OL 55 of the white '40 is a personal favorite of mine, originally printed in "The Rodder's Journal" which is a magazine you should familiarize yourself with- excellent historical articles in every issue. Also, look for the Don Montgomery books- they are some of the best early documentation of the kind of cars you sound interested in.

I wish I had more specific info regarding engine, tranny, and rear-end combo's, hopefully you'll get some more on-topic responses.

I also strongly encourage you to keep the fenders on, they are essential to the appeal of that era of automobile (in my opinion).

Good luck.

Got any pics of the project?

17. Keep the fenders on it !!!!

18. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

My goodness if you are going traditional drag style with that `39, please fit it with a 430 Lincoln engine. Stock for stock the Lincoln will spank the 409 and I could just picture that big mill with six or eight twos on a log manifold. That would be serious cool. Give it some thought, you'd have a killer yet genuine Ford there.

19. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

20. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

My 39 Standard

Attached Files:

ibflyin likes this.
  21. Falcon_Rod

Falcon_Rod

22. missysdad1

missysdad1

If you are a beginner, I'd suggest you stick with easy, bolt-on chassis and driveline modifications.

A "bellybutton" 265 or 283 Chevy V8 / stock '39 tranny / stock '39 rear end may not be the most exciting combo, but it's tried and true and you won't run into any big problems along the way. Adapters are available from Speedway and others. Just go easy on the loud pedal and keep a supply of axle keys in the glove box.

Same goes for a simple dropped axle up front. Keep the "wide five" wheels and stock juice brakes...rebuilt, of course. Big 'n' little wide whites and you're ready to cruise.

This is about as traditional as it gets...and you won't find yourself in over your head. Most unfinished projects are the result of over-ambition combined with under-experience. :(

Oh...and keep it a Standard. Much, much cooler than converting to a Deluxe.

My $.02 :)

23. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

That car is PERFECT!!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

SLOW AND EASY!!! Take your time and do a lot of studying. You have one of the most beautifully shaped cars, ever. Don't screw it up by overzealous rookie modifications. Changing it from standard to Deluxe is Ok but certainly NOT necessary. How about hanging around here for awhile and doing some study.

Frank

25. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

26. repoguy

repoguy

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. Taking the fenders off a 39-40 Ford would be like shaving a supermodels hair off and making her wear men's clothing. Why????

It's your car, do what you want. But if this is really the direction in which you are headed, you're talking the wrong guys. You'd probably feel a lot more at home on the OSR board with all the guys who worship rat rods, flat black 70's 4 doors with red wheels, and flamed 80's station wagons.