Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best model t chassis???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodjimmi, Mar 26, 2009.

1. hotrodjimmi

hotrodjimmi
    from Sacramento

[​IMG]Well I sold my 32 roadster due to hard times, but recently got a smoking trade for a 1927 ModelT coupe.It was a restored runner in the late 80's but has been garaged since then.My first plan is to get it running to putt around the hood then turn it in to a old school hot rod.What is the best chassis for it ?Home built,Z'ed ,32,model A?Are there companies out there with built custom ones?Opinions and Pictures would be greatly appreciated.I want it low.Most likely channeled over the frame. Thanks in advance .When I get it home I'll post some pics.Oh yeah I traded a $500 honda 50 and a $1200 golf cart for it .Good deal???

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

T frames are cake, build your own.

3. Why mess with it if it can run!?!?!?! Play with it for a summer or 10 and decide what you want to do. A 30's gow job would be a blast. Study the past, it will return again.

4. Shoprag

Shoprag

check out Gary at www.blackboardhr.com in Bakersfield. We're just down the street. LOL! All kidding aside he is a really good frame builder.

5. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

T frames are simple, A frames are good if you want a little style. If it is a runner drive it as is for a while if you can deal with the lack of brakes. At the same time you can build another chassis for it and then swap the body over when the new chassis is ready.

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I agree with the "drive it a little while" advice. They are a blast that can't be duplicated any other way. Not speed demons for sure but it will give you a glimpse of life at the turn of the last century. BTW, kids love them and a ride will make you the most popular guy in the neighborhood.
    Back to the question. Model a frames are a "no brainer" for a model T body and that makes an Av8 chassis a natural.

Frank

7. Barn-core

Barn-core

If you want it channeled and low, your best bet would be to build your own. T frames are super simple. If you build your own, you can build to the exact specs you want, which will make it easier to get the stance you want.

8. You traded a Honda 50 and a golf cart for a restored almost running, driving T Coupe ??
    UHH,,, Yea ! I'd say thats a good deal

Drive that puppy like it is ! !
    To me, it would be quite silly to trash the previous work

While driving it around & having fun, you'll be different!
    Then look around to trade it for something a bit closer what you want, that "old school hot rod", then you could be like everybody else. HA-HA

9. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

I've done 4or5 of my double Z'd frames for T bodies..
    If you PM me I can send you some pic's.
    My website is getting updated,will be more pictures there soon..
    eriC

10. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

It all depends on powerplant and budget!

11. HR Classic Cars

HR Classic Cars
    from Wylie, TX

Someone posted this last week, seems like an easy self build to me.

Attached Files:

12. DennyB in MN

DennyB in MN
    from So. Minn.

It would be a pity to rip that coupe apart when you could parlay it into something that would be easier to work with. The insides will have to come out if you are going to channel anyway and then you probably won't want to put the same stuff back. For a bigger motor you will need to get a heftier frame. The Model T was designed to flex with the body so you need a much stiffer frame to go with modern go power. At least a Model A frame if you are going flathead V8, boxed if you are going OHV V8. The Model T only has rear brakes so you will want to upgrade that too. Plus better steering gear. There won't be much left of the original coupe when you are done.

Too bad you are not closer to Minnesota. I would trade you a 24-25 Model T coupe body, A frame or TT truck frame, front axle, 302V8 w/4 speed, plus $$$ for your running T coupe. You could easily find someone out there who would do the same and get enough $$$ to buy most of the parts you would need for the rod.

13. Fender delete ,rojo , ruxstall , narrow the frnt axle,maybe a graham blower, water pump ,metal wheels , bolt on goodies only so you can restore it when you get old or sell it to fund a project closer to what you want . Hell donate it to museum its a survivor

14. A Boner

A Boner

Check and see if "BOBBLEED" is still doing his Bleed sweep frames.....nice design to get it low and they were priced right.