Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Water Wetter" stuff?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thunder Road, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Thunder Road

Thunder Road

Hey ya'll, I'm driving the Crestliner to Jackson, TN in mid-April for the Bunny Run and since I am still not sure that I have a good grip on the cooling issue- I'm thinking of adding 'water wetter' (or something like it) to the system.

Questions:
    Have any of you used stuff like this??
    What was it?
    and
    Did it seem to help the motor run cooler?

2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used it before. I was trying to cool down my T. It brought the temp down by about 10-15 degrees.........then the radiator puked. I'm guessing it's worked.
    Looked like some type of glycerine product.

3. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

I've used it in a roadrace race car that ran warm and it did lower the temp maybe 7-10 degrees but it is no substitute for a bad cooling system

4. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

I use it in my nostalgic drag car due to a small rad, however; it is not a fix. The water wetter will lower your temp slightly......

5. Brandi

Brandi

I have to agree with this. A buddy of ours had some cooling issues going on (due to bad fan relay). It brought the temp down a bit, but I don't think I'd want to make a habit of using the stuff instead of sorting out the cooling system.

6. 58custom

58custom

I've used it on two different cars. Never changed the temps a bit.

7. harley man

harley man

Used it on a nascar type race car every week.It works.A few degrees.If you expect alot it wont happen.

8. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

Water wetter does work. Photographers use it when developing film....it lets the film dry without water spots on the negative. It is also in dishwasher soap.......keeps the water spots off your glasses, etc. It simply reduces the surface tension of the water, so it will flow a little better. Doesn't hurt a thing to run it all the time.

9. Thunder Road

Thunder Road

Thanks for the replies...I know it isn't a permanent fix (probably the only 'real' one will be a thicker radiator - with more cooling capacity) but I'd like to use everything I can during our trip.

10. I've been using it for years in all sorts of my vehicles...like stated above helps a little but is no substitute for a proper functioning cooling system.

Hope your trip is uneventful....;)

11. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

I've had a good experience w/ water wetter used distilled water and drop temps about 10-15 degrees.

12. I run the Redline stuff in my roadster on the street. It runs 5 to 10 degrees cooler. As already said, it helps, but is not a fix for an inadequate cooling system.

13. Crash0000

Crash0000
    from NC

It's a better corrosion inhibitor than temp displacer. We ran it on the round track cars because the rules would not allow anti-freeze on the track.

14. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Exactly why I use it as well. In a race car where use of Ethylene Glycol is not permitted. No idea on how much it knocks it down, just know its better than straight water.

15. gooseta2

gooseta2

Works great...we run it in our 64 malibu w/ 632 c.i. BBC

16. zbuickman

zbuickman

or theres that Evan's NPG stuff out there..... I havent used it but I know people that do and wont switch back nor have any complaints.. boils at like 400* instad of 212*:)

oh yeah one complaint the price:(

17. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Ive used it, and its helped, but as already stated it isnt a miracle, all it does is break the surface tension of water so it actually gets more surface contact with the cooling system, just increases efficency.

18. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Plus remember, it works best in straight water with no other coolant/antifreeze.

19. zombiemandan

zombiemandan
    from Wyoming

Used it in my dirt track cars, works pretty good.

20. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I used it in my '54 Buick down in Floriduh, and was very happy with it.

But, as others have said, it's a great addition, but not a cure-all or even a fix.

What's your combination? If you've got a 4-blade fan, upgrade right away to a 5 or 7 blade fan. Get the biggest diameter fan you can find. Muscle car restoration companies are a great source for big diameter, 7-blade fans: you probably won't find one in the junk yards that don't have a clutch, and if you do, chances are good the blades will be bent. I bought three different junk yard fans before spending the bucks on a new one.

I also like a thermostat that opens sooner in the summer: 160-degree versus a 180-degree. My theory is that the radiator doesn't have to play catch-up once you're stuck in traffic or something.

And of course, a shroud. But it sounds like you haven't gotten to that point yet. (I didn't on the Buick). Bigger diameter fan with more blades, cooler thermostat and water wetter will be a good step in the right direction. And if you're a little shaky about spending that much on a repro 7-blade fan (the resto companies are VERY proud of them), think about how much it's worth NOT to be sitting on the side of the road overheating, or worse, blowing a head gasket.

-Brad

21. KIRK

KIRK

I have it in my sbc powered 31 and it brought the temp down about 10 or 12 degrees. Seems to work good.

22. primed34

primed34

If the weather in Jackson is like it usually is, it will only be about 40 degrees. See you there and bring a big coat.

23. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Use it as a routine. Just like putting all 8 plugs in a v8 and all 4 tires on my cars. Why would you NOT use it. There is an old saying, "every little bit helps".

Frank

24. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

Use and like it , a must in the Ardun motor without a fan..........Z.

25. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Man if that stuff will lower my temp by 10 degrees I'll give it a shot! Wonder what it costs locally, it's about $15 shipped on the 'bay

26. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

You can use Dawn dishing washing soap and it does the same thing and a lot cheaper, that's how soap works , it breaks the surface tension therefore making the water wetter

"Doc" Parsons

27. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

If you really think you need it...........

...........it just reduces the surface tension of the water. A few drops of dishwashing liquid will do the same thing.

28. dutched32

dutched32

no super results really just about 10 degrees

29. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

When does your car overheat?? Basically two reasons, poor air flow, or poor fluid flow. Usually air related in traffic, and fluid related at highway speed. Everybody uses 50 50 antifreeze for the same reason that everybody changes their oil every three thousand miles. Anti freeze does not have the cooling capacity of water, it aborbs less heat and releases it less effecively than water. So one of the easiest things you can do is reduce the amount of antifreeze you put in your mix. I don;t drive my car in the witer, so I use a 80/20 mix. I run a flat head 6 and it nevers runs above 190 even sitting at Canada US customs in 90 degree weather for about 45 minutes. Running dow the road it barely ever gets above 160/170.

You don't mention what condition your system is or if its capacity has benn altered from stock, nor do you say whether your fan is as engineered or modified. I had a budy compain about overheating after changing to an electric fan, finally found out had the blades on backwards, so he was blowing against the wind so to speak.

But for my money, a bit of water wetter, less antifreeze, in Tn you probably need enough for anti rust and water pump lube. and give it a shot.

30. Fairlane Dave

Fairlane Dave

It works pretty good, about the same as the Royal Purple product (most NAPA stores and a lot of Toyota parts departments have the Royal Purple stuff). I think Water Wetter and the Royal Purple stuff are the same thing. The amount of cooling improves if you run less, or no, coolant. The bottle shows the ratio. If I remember correctly, the Royal Purple one claims something modest like 5 degrees with a 50/50 mix and 15-20 degrees with straight water.

I've noticed maybe a 5-10 degree difference running about 25-30% coolant, which is fine since it's something you only add when you flush and fill. Like other have said, it's not a substitute for a crappy cooling system. My 223 ran hotter than hell and this stuff didn't help. My SBF runs pretty cool and this helps it a bit.