Register now to get rid of these ads!

Youngsters . When , where and what bit you that started it.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mac_55, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Mac_55

Mac_55

I know there is ALOTof ole time knowledge herebut im also aware of alot of new gen guys out there. at a hair under 30 myself i am curious about the younger guys into the scheme of things if you want to put it like that.

What , where and when caused you to choose this hobby , was it at a young age , further down the line ? For me , i think it can all be traced back to about 1985 , i was 5 years old standing on the front porch late in the evening . The folks didnt have alot of money and my dad needed a new work vehicle . He had a 1980 dodge pickup truck that wouldnt stay running and had a bad habit of burning wiring harnesses up .

Well he ended up a few towns over and was car shopping i guess you could say , he caught a used car salesman leaving the lot and flagged him down . That evening my dad traded that dodge pickup even up for a 1958 Chevy nomad , black , ralleys , 327 and absolutley gorgeous. The car salesman was more than happy to swap that herse look alike for a pickup that was only 5 years old.

Well i remember seeing tons of shiny black and chrome come lurking up the driveway with the parking lights on and i think that was the start of it right there. Fell in love with old cars at the exact popint in time . Somewhere around the 4th or 5th grade one evening while watching tv , i saw this fella named Milner line up against this other fella named falfa. Right then and there i became a 55 chevy fan through and through to the bone , all i could think about or talk about was 55-57 chevies. So thats kinda my story in a nutshell. Lets hear some more.

2. junk fiend

junk fiend

im 20 and i honestly cant remember when i got enterested in hotrods but ive been into cars my whole life. i remember back in elementry school doodling cars on my desk and on the sides of my school work everyday. i probly did my first hotrod drawing in the 5th grade maybe. i was totally fasinated with cars even though i had no idea of their inner workings. a while ago on speed vision there was the show called the lost drive in and i used to watch it all the time. movies like vanishing point, two lane black top, etc, i grew up on these classic movies. my dad has always been into cars and racing but has never had a cool car, he likes to keep everything stock. he is pretty lame acualy i keep showing him cars on craigslist, cars like buick rivs and what not and all he says is god why do want a pos like that do you know how horrible old cars are.

3. braineater

braineater
    from sacramento

im 31 now..not that young but i remember being 7. looking at pictures of my dads old 48 ford biz coupe after he rolled it outside of tipp city ohio... hearing about corvette hunting in a 390 cad powered 55 t-bird, drag racing from light to light....and man did i ever catch that bug. god bless our fathers..hope they are proud of what we have become.

4. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

I have no idea where it came from for me. I am 25 and have been into hot rods as long as I can remember. None of my family member are hot rodders, nor any of their friends. Maybe it was the Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars I started getting while I was still a baby? My family always gave me the hot rod and Kustom ones.

5. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Funny how these threads are ALWAYS started by "newbies".

6. Mac_55

Mac_55

Newbies to this forum maybe . thats about the only thing im newbie to .

hang it in your ass pardner.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

He's been here longer than you!

8. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Um,,you've been here 3 months??? he's been here a year :confused:

and "hang it in your ass" have to say I have never heard that expression,,lol

9. Mac_55

Mac_55

LOL . thanks guys ha ha ha . I guess hes another one of them fellas that think Post counts are EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

"

10. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Jeeez dude, do a search... This topic has been covered about a bazillion times. :rolleyes:

Not saying I'm against topics like this, but it always creates drama...

11. Mac_55

Mac_55

yeah , because i highly doubt any new guys have shown up since the last one.:rolleyes:

12. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

now now,,I think more what he is saying is we try to add to existing threads rather than have 6 on the same topic,,thats all

13. Mac_55

Mac_55

How bout we just have a mod delete it then , keep a couple of these pansies that apparently dont have anything inteligent to interject into any other conversation on the boards Happy.

14. budhaboy

budhaboy

I've been into anything with a engine dating back as far as I can remember - Gramps always had some stylin' cars - mostly lux cars, oldest I can remember him having was a 58 Chrysler Imperial, but he was a serious Caddy fan - my Pop and I just restored his last baby(Gramps passed 10 years ago) - a 1976 Cadillac El Dorado convert.

Pop had a 67 Chevelle SS convert, with what he told me was a Weiand dual spyder manifold- sported a pair of 3 bbl carbs - that was my first intro to speed...he ended up trading it for an old Austin Healy - all I really remeber of that is the LOUD exhaust.
    My Uncle was/is a biker, he was my intro into bikes - we both miss his old Triumph Chopper.
    from there, my parents first house was in a neighborhood that has/had quite a few hot rodders/racers, and I would hang around and get in all their ways asking about this and that and its taken off from there.

my parents just retired last year, and have moved to their homestead in SW PA, and I just took over my childhood home, so now its my turn to have a garage - I only have a 70 Monte Carlo(I know not HAMB friendly) and an 87 Harley Sporty right now, but I'm working on aquiring a 53 Chevy off another HAMBer in the next month or two...

so for me, it was both the family, and the village that created this greasey nailed fool..

15. caught the bug from my dad , the kid , and grafitti!:D

Attached Files:

16. dont get all thin skinned , if you cant get around it or under it , get over it!:D

17. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Mac_55

Little Wing ,Pir8Darryl<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_3744057", true); </SCRIPT> , was just trying to help ya out man,

Theirs alot of story's and information to be had on this board,

Regardless of post count or time served theirs no need TA be a Dick...

You must be having a Boring afternoon and just want to stir the shit a little..

Why not show some pictures of your 55 Chevy in your Avatar and do something more positive............

18. dude you need to show a little respect!

19. Cparkinson

Cparkinson
    from Orange, CA

I know it's not exactly a hot rod but I've been more of an enthusiast from the time I got an 83 Mazda RX-7. Seeing 3rd gen fd's (90's rx7's) getting suped up to a thousand horsepower made me curious about the possibilities. That and a ride in a friends suped up Camero with 450HP under the hood... wait, there was no hood. We went for a little drive into town and used a quarter tank of gas. The engine was 'just a bit' loud.. louder than my 83 RX-7 with a blown exhaust. And I do mean blown, as in exploded... along with an earth shattering kaboom. I thought a bomb had gone off.

20. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

well, it all started with a paint job. My stepdad ran a paint shop and sold drugs on the side. Turns out one of the guys owed him some money so he had the guy do some paint work on my truck in trade for whatever he owed. After that I was hooked. I put a stereo in and got into the car scene that way. Did a lot with stereos in my trucks. I have had probably 5 or 6 different stereos in my 97. After I graduated my dad got me my 97 and told me that if I dropped out of college he would repo the truck in the middle of the night. Thats the deal he gave to all of us kids and for 2 of my older brothers he followed through on the threat so I knew he was serious. It was my goal at that point to take good care of the truck and once I moved off I got involved in the custom truck show scene and it took off from there.

As far as getting into hot rods, frankly that was very recently. Like in the last couple of years. I like the idea of a simpler car. I like the fact that I could run the econoline with all of 3 or 4 wires. I don't have to have a computer reader to find out why it wont start or why it is running rough. And I don't have to worry about emissions standards and such so I can have fun and not worry about whether I am going to be able to drive it legally later. It just seems to fit me better now than a late model build does. Don't get me wrong, I will still probably do up my 04 tahoe and probably others since I can't leave anything stock, but the older I get the more I realize that older is better.

So thats my story and I am stickin to it.

later,
    Chad

21. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

Im 24 now and I liked old cars for what seems like forever now. I always liked the ghostbusters 59 ambulance it was my favorite toy. and ever since i liked em. i wanted to buy a project car since like 6 grade but my father wouldn't let me.

22. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

My father and his friend coordinated car shows out on the island for years when I was a kid. My dad had raced karts for years, and I've always been around racing. Once we got a garage on the house, we started working on cars more.

23. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

My Dad's '48 Mercury Coupe he bought in 1950.
    Him showing me pictures and telling me tales is what did it for me.
    When I was 17 and building a '72 Vega with a 350 in it, Dad walked outside and said, "What on Earth ever gave you this idea?"
    I just had to say it....
    "You"

He just shook his head and walked off.
    Sure love that guy.

24. S.F.

S.F.

I grew up in Tipp City. Does your father still live there?

25. Uptown83

Uptown83

I grew up around model a's and t's. My granddad was into restoring them, which led to my dad getting into restoring them, which led to me hot rodding them :) but I loved restored cars just as much. My dad has about 12 model a's and a couple of t's. I have 3 cars so far... my 32 , 33 and 34

26. HellCat

HellCat

Riding shotgun with my dad in his 69 Ford F100 during ET time trials at GreenValley Drag Strip when I was 7 years old. It was all over after that.

27. joel torres

joel torres

im 32 i think it started a long time ago with hot wheels i never had my dad or uncles, brothers ect... i got my first car at 14 from the junk yard and finished it before i left to the marines and i still own it im redoing it now 100% by myself plus two other cars on the back burner its a hard road but i feel i can do anything with a little studing

28. braineater

braineater
    from sacramento

honestly i wish people on here could just leave their mark on a thread without someone else getting all pissy. so what there are other threads that have covered this topic. just let people share their stories and enjoy others...

29. madjack

madjack

You could do a lot worse than the Califonia Kid as an influence

30. my uncle gave me a copy of australin street rodder when i was about 7, i must have read that rag a thousand times then started buying my own. i dont have that mag anymore but one of my buddies does have a copy. it had a model a coupe and a dodge pickup on the cover (i think) and a couple of toranas