Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pix from Tres Dias RockabillyFest

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clysdale, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Clysdale

Clysdale
    from Vista, CA

2. aceuh

aceuh

Great shots and an awesome helmet!

3. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

wow looks like it was packed!lol

Nice pics thou i enjoyed em. I had to sweep my driveway that day so couldnt make it.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  4. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

I like the Packard!

5. Clysdale

Clysdale
    from Vista, CA

Yea, attendance was less than great....the promoter really screwed that part up but at least the people who did show up were great and some of the rides were sweet...

6. Kerry67

Kerry67

I heard about this show for months but I heard it was like $125 to get in.........NOBODY I talked to had heard about this. Could have been a cool show but looks like it did not do to well. Wish I would have checked it out but if this is all that showed up, looks like I did not miss much. I would LOVE to see a cool 3 day show like this come to AZ if it can get the people there.

Did all the guests show up that were supposed to be there ?

7. Clysdale

Clysdale
    from Vista, CA

yea, the bands were there....blasters, dick dale, dead bolt and bunch of others. The event was done great in terms of security, organization, music....it was just a horrible lack of promotion and the huge $$$$ for entry into the event. I think these will be addressed before next years event...

8. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

My VW buddy told me about the show, don't even know where he heard about it.
    We are a pretty close knit group here in Phoenix and pretty much no one heard about it until much later, really close to the actual show. What chaps me, is no one from this organization contacted any of the area shops or local artists, that I know of. Great helmet!! You're from CARLSBAD?! You, of course, are more than welcome here, but were there any local stripers set up?! I see Ron Hernandez was there, but I'm sure he was just taking in the sites.

Just seemed like a big production company thought, "hey lets cash in on the ROCKaBILLY thing", whatever. Great acts, just seems like all the locals got skirted, which, of course, was the target audience.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  9. Big Tony

Big Tony

Might have been a small turnout..but damn nice rides!!!!!!!!

10. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Where?! I see maybe 6. Lotsa neat bikes though, mostly from SPS.

11. Clysdale

Clysdale
    from Vista, CA

Hey Jeem....yea from what I hear they invited a bunch of local car clubs and then tried to jack them for $$$$$ and the clubs told them to stick it. There were more cars there if you check the flickr set, but still nothing like it should have been. I think the promoters are from the area so I was really surprised they had missed getting the word out. There were local strippers doing the charity auction helmet painting (forget the names) but even that was so small they were going to save them for a future event that had people.

The only reason I heard about it is an artist friend of mine Bigtoe did the flyer art and we did the booth together...

I hope they can get it all sorted out for next year as I could see potential that was just blinded by the search for $$$$

12. Kerry67

Kerry67

How many cars actually showed up ? Did it at least get a lot of people there to see the bands ?

13. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Looks like the cars were cool, though.

14. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

sorry to hijack your thread david,but can someone tell me what the these are

[​IMG]

15. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Cool picts Thanks!

16. Crankhole

Crankhole

Drawer pulls.

17. Clysdale

Clysdale
    from Vista, CA

Hi-jack away Cracker...I was wondering the same thing. As for the car count...probably 50 over the course of the 3 days.....but never all at the same time.

The band crowds were small, I think having 3 stages going at the same time really split the crowd up. I must say seeing the old guy Dick Dale rip it up like he was 20 shocked me. I'm not a fan at all but he was working it...

18. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

It was on myspace,the Phoenix new times and even promoted on kupd or the edge radio I think I heard it. Like they said local clubs have large amount of pull in this city and if you put dumb ass prices on a show like that during this economy noone will go. But you are 100% on this Rockabilly cash in. It has gotten that bad here in Phoenix where most of us wont even go to most of the shows cause 80 % of the people pull up in their honda civics with 6 inch cuffs,pomade and yap about the car they have in back yard they will build someday but cannot even change the oil in their import. haha... Looks like the bikes were pretty nice thou!. Perhaps 1 more year it will get better and I think it would have a different turn out had it been on the H.A.M.B..

19. PhatCaddy

PhatCaddy

Was Indoor Kart Racing included? That would be worth it.......

Thanks for the pix

B

20. Clysdale

Clysdale
    from Vista, CA

nope, racing was extra....so yea....it was waaaay to much..

21. Conrad_AZ

Conrad_AZ

Who put this P.O.S. on? Sheriff Joe? My friend and I drove his 29 coupe down around 6 PM on Friday and found more purple shirt security stiffs and MCSO officers than participants.

When we finally found the ticket window, they wanted 10 bucks for the car and 27.50 for each of us for the evening, which was way too spendy for a couple of old dudes on fixed income, so we left.

Paso Robles it weren't. Had a way better time at 83rd ave on Saturday.

22. 1lowbuick

1lowbuick

the car is a 56 buick! lowered no chop and cabinet door pulls for the grill

23. I really didn't want to post on this put feel I need too since I was there. I went to support a very close friend of mine who has his own shop and had gotten a vendor spot for 800.00. This friend of mine did the black caddy that has the candy roof. I brought my coupe out to help bring attention to his booth. Here is what I saw and heard.

1. After my friend spent huge money on the vendor space the promoters would never give a accurate amount of passes to him for his cars that he brought to the show which ended up being the car show for Friday and most of Saturday.

2. The amount of entry for people to come in and see the show was way to much.

3. the 3 days was way to long and should be two at the most.

4. the amount of money charging the car people not only for the car but then the people inside the car was way out of line.

5. location was horrible and not condusive for a concert no matter how many tents and planted palm trees in boxes you have.

the only reason I point all this out is because I am a former promoter of shows and knows what it takes to put on a show. I think the idea is really good but the promoters are trying to be another viva with out having any history to back it up. I write this to show that we have really good shows in AZ but when someone comes in and tries to ride the rat rod band wagon and does not do their home work it kills it for everyone.

24. I would love to see a show develop in Phoenix that could become something like the roundup. But it needs to be done right. We definitely have the scene, the weather, and the people with the talent.

So Ron! when are you going to fire-up the greaseball again?!!:) I miss that show. It was small, but it was fun, and done right! You just let me know if you want some help to pull it off.

I KNOW you would get full support from the locals like us.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  25. Adam D.

Adam D.

for having the word rockabilly in it, there were some pretty cool cars.

26. 21tat

21tat

Sorry we missed it. Nice pics.

27. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Love the truck.

28. Kerry67

Kerry67

"RAT ROD" bandwagon has nothing to do with it. The price to get in was ridiculous. Plus who is going to pay that much if there is not a good turnout. If the place was packed I could see paying that to get in, but for an empty parking lot, forget it.

29. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

Like Nailhead said good idea but promotions etc needs to be in the right direction! yeah Greaseball!

I think we had a better turn out at the Sinners show we threw and spent under 2 g's than this turn out. haha..

I have noticed a huge difference in the crowd splitting of rods vs rockasilly more and more as we all stick around helping eachother out wrench'n or either starting your friends pants on fire while he is layin under the car. ..:)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  30. usually not a big custom fan, but a got any more pics of the caddy?