Register now to get rid of these ads!

Essiential safety items on rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by panhead_pete, Mar 23, 2009.

1. I believe Vern Tardel in Santa Rosa has them.

Rat

2. Seatbelts, shoulder belts, driveshaft safety loops, neutral safety switch, parking brake that works, dual master cylinders, dual throttle return springs, master kill switch, glass cleaner, fire extinguisher, good tread on the tires, anti-rollover valve on the fuel tank, fuses or circuit breakers on everything, battery tie-downs, and .... what else, oh yeah, bump stops. Oh, and have a firewall and floor that's not full of holes -- to keep you safe from an engine fire and also so you won't be breathing exhaust fumes.

A collapsible steering column is nice to have, but unfortunately doesn't look too good sometimes. If you have a rod that doesn't have a collapsible steering column, then you should think about having shoulder belts. I put shoulder belts in my '32 pickup and they kind of tuck out of the way, almost out of site when the truck is parked.

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You now, reading some of this and realizing in the US you can get a car on the street without most of it scares the shit out of me. Im kinda glad (In a way) we have such strict laws here, most of this is mandatory!

4. striper

striper

I want shoulder belts in my Mod but they would have to be mounted too low and then potentially cause crush damage to my spine in an accident. I don't really like lap belts but it's a compromise.

Pete

No room for a spare either

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Easy fixed! I carry a spare around my midriff!:rolleyes:
    Good call on the spinal injury! A lot of people dont understand that, burst and crush fractures are NO FUN, ask me how I know!

Also one of those 1kg extinguishers alone are useless, carry at LEAST two of them.
    I stopped at a car fire and used the extinguisher (Dry Chem) off my Ambulance, it was a 2kg one and didnt get the job done. But then again it was a well involved full engine bay on a VT Commodore.

I have (Had) a 4kg dry chem in the boot of my 38 and will have a 4kg again if I ever build another car.

Doc

6. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

spend the money and get a good halon extinquisher, ever clean up the disaster from a dry chemical one? sure they are expensive, but look how much time and money you've invested in your car. :)

7. striper

striper

Illegal in Australia. Ozone destroyer.

8. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

CB radio in a box. I drive EVERYWHERE and there are places a cell flat won't work, but if you stay on the main highways, a truck WILL come along shortly.

9. 2 pages so far and no one has said a FLASHLIGHT! The new LED style are very bright and easy on batteries. I also keep a few el cheapo tools, sometimes you can fix something minor on the sid of the road. I seem to loose header bolts on a regular basis, a couple of those and a pair of gloves. Fuses, spare 1157 & 1156 bulbs, a tow strap if you have room, some stranded wire, electrical tape 1 qt of oil.

10. This is a worthwhile thread, but Pete, I hope you have a guidelines book for your state before you get into your build because A LOT of this stuff is actually mandatory in Australia, eg seatbelts, tailshaft hoops, wipers etc. Best to check your facts now to avoid tears.

Make sure all circuits have plenty of fuse safety, relays are great and make sure wiring is beefy enough guage for the job. It's always to avoid meltdowns and fire.

11. Little Terry

Little Terry

12. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Speedway has them for $20 or $25 a pair.

13. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

A N.S.R.A. safty inspection covers mort of these itams. I have a first aid kit.

14. invizibletouch

invizibletouch
    from Mobile, AL

Hey guys quick question about neutral safety switches...

What's the best way to tackle this running a C4 tranny with a floor shift and push button start switch? Everything I've found is for a column shift. Anyone have a part number for a good generic? The floor shift is from a 67 mustang and it does have an electrical connect (couple female I think). Thanks in advance!

15. invizibletouch , i believe that a `67 mustang shifter has a neutral safety switch built in...a few minutes with an ohmmeter on those connections you would know for sure

16. invizibletouch

invizibletouch
    from Mobile, AL

Thanks! Will give it a go tonight.

17. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Ford mounts most of its neutral safety switches on the transmission. The ones on my C4s were attached to the shift lever on the left side of the case.

18. muckcilla

muckcilla
    from L.A.

built in roll bar seat belt frame. If it is lower than your head it still gives crush space . Like a frame right behind the sheat metal ...

19. muckcilla

muckcilla
    from L.A.

Duh :homer: ...

It is 2009 ...