Register now to get rid of these ads!

speed holes stengthen or weaken frame rails?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bibb86, Mar 23, 2009.

1. No down the sides as well, still looking for more pics

2. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I would sleeve them, better to be safe,then you won't be wondering. they put these holes in aircraft parts, thats where the look came from, but on an aircraft the parts with holes are often boxed or reinforced. just like wing spars,but the wings have cross braces and reinforcing sections that tie the entire structure together.

3. Algon

Algon

That thing is awesome!

4. skwurl

skwurl

Why not just sleeve it. No worries. Done . safe and looks great.

5. bibb86

bibb86

ok i took a closer look and can see the ones on the sides now. it looks to me like you didnt flare the holes is that right?

6. No but since you have the tool it would be a nice detail if YOU did!:cool:

7. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I put the lighting holes in my frame also welded in sleeves and put X's inside the frame to give more strength I have had no problems at all. I am running a BBC 871 blower pushing 1000 horse or more.

Attached Files:

8. bibb86

bibb86

dang that looks good tman you still have the car. also that what i am looking at doing except only on the front rails cause its gonna be channeled. thanks for the help

9. No, fellow Vagabond G V Gordon has the car, it was really his all along only we didn't know it! ;)

10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

here's an example of original lightning holes, b-17 bomber near the tailwheel. I tried to find some better pictures but there are some great pictures of ww2 planes with rows of these holes designed into the structure. probably where the idea got started. [​IMG]

11. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Just remember, the frame is like a bridge structure. If it isn't load bearing, you can take it out. If it is load bearing and you take it out, well, think of the Eiffel Tower with 3 legs. You'll need to make sure things are tied together to compensate for twist and other stresses. I like the idea of an X frame and even better the sleeves. If you go with SS, 304 is going to polish up much better than 409 but you've got to make sure you are using the right wire.

12. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Good call on the aircraft frame. Making holes in a chassis rail side frame is OK because the sides are there to hold the top and bottom together. it's called Web and flange . the side is the Web. As long as the web is connected to the flanges it's doing it's job. A C section channel is OK in longitdinal stress but will never resist twisting that is why we box chassis and install X members to prevent the natural twist .
    Putting holes in there will not reduce what strength is there ( within reason) .
    NOW,if you look at aircraft holesyou can see that the hole isn't just a hole but a hole with a flange.WHY?, because that flanged hole is in fact adding strength and reducing twist in the airframe.
    SIMPLE? yes !.
    Now here is a well known example of a drilled chassis,a mercedes SSKL.
    [​IMG]
    The dark shadow under the front is the oil pan,the engines in these are three times the mass of a Chev six,need proof of weight or torque?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. bibb86

bibb86

all great info thanks

14. 3x2rocket

3x2rocket

If you must have a big-block how bout' considering the weight savings of a Olds/ Buick/ Pontiac 455? You'll easily achieve 400+hp and stay same weight as sbc.

15. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

I think the speed hole is in your head :rolleyes: what the heck's a speed hole?

16. bibb86

bibb86

yea but i got his 427 already built for free that was my main reason for going with it.

17. Ghost28

Ghost28

That's been covered in earlier posts...ghost

18. Moonglow

Moonglow

Just a couple thoughts as follows............

Sleeves add back more material than was removed by the lightning holes, actually making them "heavier" holes.

Sleeves do look cool, but if you want an authentic look, you may not bother with them. As long as you keep the hole size reasonable you won't have any strength issues. 2" x 4" rectangular tubing is far stronger than any early O.E.M. frame rail. You won't find any competion cars with sleeved lightning holes, and for sure not any aircraft, because it defeats the original purpose of removing weight.

In my opinion, sleeves give your project more of a sixties show car look. If that's what you like, then go for it!

19. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Sell the 427 and buy a 455!

20. You know what? The guy wants to drill fuckin holes in his frame. Nothing more, nothing less. Been done for decades by folks with far less resources and equiptment than us. I think this internet fad has got half the people wanting to be armchair engineers (and not the cool kind with C-4) and the other half wanting to dissuede folks from doing shit that HOTRODDERS have done for decades!

21. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

what are you bitchin about? no one said not to, people are just explaining the proper way to do it,and how the idea got started. it's not a hole anyway,it's called a dimple die,just like in an aircraft. it serves the same purpose as putting in the sleeves. acts like a reinforcment for the hole itself.

22. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I second this.

23. Not bitching a bit. But folks are sitting here getting way to into why,or not he should do it. Too much thinking and not enough doing. He will be fine, that is why I tried to dig up some of my personal experiences putting holes in frames and offered up the suggestion to look at Littlemans awesome work as well.

24. metalmike13

metalmike13
    from Glass City

I second Ghost, if you are going to put lighting holes in sleeve em!

25. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Drill away, test it, run it and fix it if it breaks. That is called hot rodding.

26. skratch

skratch

i hole weakens the rail .
    the dimple strengthens the hole by shrinking the metal .

get the drill press ready ..

27. ironmatt72

ironmatt72
    from Boston

Just do it! If you wanted a safe car, you would have bought a Volvo!

28. metalman

metalman

So how do you intend to flare the holes in a tube, especially 3/16"? Ya got a tool for that?

29. kevinc

kevinc
    from highland

dimple dies will increaes the strength,and lighten, but you said your using 2x4 tube, and most dimple dies ive seen are a two piece set using a male and a female die to create the flange in the hole. with the tube frame im not really sure how youd access the backside (inside) of the tubing to place the female die, this make sense? might want to think that through before you start up the drill press.