Register now to get rid of these ads!

carb. question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swill67, Sep 8, 2004.

1. swill67

swill67
    from merced, ca

Looking for some help. What kind of carburetor fits a stock '53 Mercury flathead intake? It has 4 mounting bolts instead of 3 like most carbs I see on flatheads and other early ford V8s. Is there some kind of adapter on the market or do I need to buy a whole new intake?
    thanks for any help
    -swill

Attached Files:

2. swill67

swill67
    from merced, ca

Just saw the merc in the classifieds. So is this what i need to be looking for?

Attached Files:

3. k9racer

k9racer

I just went out in the shop same bolt pattern as a small rochester 2 barrell off a 283 and other small gm. The old ant hill Merc 2 barrell is hard to find a rebuild kit for.The last one I found was millitary surplus and it went on a gmc troop carrier. Good Luck..

4. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

This carb? If the small Rochester 2 gc fits I would say use it and forget this oddball.

Attached Files:

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Yeah, the towering inferno is best forgotten. Somewhere in the back recesses of my mind I seem to recall that the Rochester 2GC must be mounted backward in this application. Ring any bells?

6. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

n'other view

or I will trade you my 49 intake and carb for it so I can run a 2gc

Attached Files:

7. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I am not sure if this is the same carb as that other illistration sans the top cover which has the automatic choke in it, but I don't think so. The other illustration is an upright holley which also had a 4 bbl. version. All of those I have seen just went up inside the aircleaner and didn't have this housing on top. Also the one in the picture has a governor on it, must be a truck application.
    At the recyling center near Freeland on Whidbey Island they had one of those still new in the box for $35.00. A year ago.

8. swill67

swill67
    from merced, ca

Thanks for the help and the pics. I'll see if my dad and and I can rig up some kind of adapter plate. We just want to see if we can get this thing to start up.

9. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

I just found a rebuilt kit for the Stock 1950 Merc Flathead carb. HOLLEY 885 . The Carburator Doctor in Canada sells the kit for 58 bucks. Pretty pricey more then a 3bolt carb rebuilt kit but this will allow you to retain the stock 885 Carb with autochoke. Cheaper then buying a replacement carb.