Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Where were you in '62???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CalGasser, Mar 21, 2009.

1. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

In '62 I was 4 years old, my ride was a pedal car and a tricycle....My parents bought a new Galaxie that year after a drunk took out my dad's '57 Fairlane......

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  2. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

not of this earth ( unborn )

3. JMPRO

JMPRO
    from So Cal

No, sorry to say I don't still have that bass. It is a real collectors item today. The bass belonged to the band and I left the band to go play my first love, the guitar with another band. The guitarist in the pic was playing my Strat that I still have today. It is a factory prototype that was given to my father by Leo Fender back in 54. The Strat was the second one ever built and the first was destroyed after it failed so my Strat is probably the oldest one in the world.

JMPRO

4. JMPRO

JMPRO
    from So Cal

Dick Hug had a record label named Dub-Tone Records and I had a friend that was a producer and he made a deal with Dick to record an album. Dick Hug had some Dick Dale tracks that he had bought and put them on the album to capitalize on his name. The album was named "The Surf Family" with Dick Dale and The Hollywood Surfers.The Hollywood Surfers was my band The Rhythm Crusaders renamed. The band got paid 20 bucks each for the sessions and that was that. They didn't even give me a promo copy, I had to buy one.

JMPRO

5. Had a Dachsund named Schnapps and a firetruck pedal car !! Cool ass weiner dog and a nice ride too LOL !! I was 3 years old dreaming of hot-rods >>>>.

6. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Are you saying that your weiner dog was a nice ride?

7. Mopar34

Mopar34

62? I was in 10 grade at my local high school, learning how to rebuild engines and drag racing on Flat Top road in my 56 Ford Vic. Saturday nights were best used for drinking bourbon and watching to submarine races.:eek::D

8. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I was an embryo....

9. No !! The FIRETRUCK Doug Hah Hah !! >>>>.

10. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Then why the t-shirt???

[​IMG]

11. October 1962. I thought we were goin' to war with the USSR. My outfit, 1611 Air Transport Wing, out of McGuire AFB, NJ was flying supplies, ammo etc. into Guantanamo. One of our planes (C-135) crashed there and exploded killing everybody on board. Was as close as this country ever came to WWIII.

12. In the fall of '62 I sold the engagement ring I had bought for my best/only girlfriend (that's another story :() and bought the Lyndwood frame for our first digger.

Attached Files:

13. lewislynn

lewislynn

I almost forgot the Cuban Missle Crisis. I was a sophomore in HS it was a scary time for a 151/2 yr old. We were doing duck and cover drills at school. There was real talk of nuclear war.

Cool avatar too.

14. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

I was a junior in high school. I'm so glad I grew up in 62' and not now. It must be awful hard to be a teenager now. Life was so much simpler back then. Cars had distributors to twist and carburetors to tweak. I miss smokey burnouts.

15. I was a 2 year old toddler living in a house my dad built in Mt Roskill, Auckland , New Zealand. One of 5 kids. Family car was a 37 Chevy 4dr.

16. I was not born yet.....but I'm sure my soul was up in heaven pacing the floors trying to pick the right gearhead parents....I ended up with the coolest pair:D...John

17. lewislynn

lewislynn

I don't know about 62 but I worked part time at a Chevron station in 68 and Chevron Custom Supreme was the most expensive gas of any station...It seems to me like it was $0.42 in 68.

Someone mentioned Powerine. I remember around 63 or 64 paying 19.9 at Powerine during gas wars (remember them?)

I also remember paying $0.15 for a McDonalds hamburger or fries. As I recall they advertised you could get a hamburger fries and a shake and get change back from a dollar.

18. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

i was 11 yrs old playin little league bb, building model cars,and bird doggin chicks while diggin on the beach boys.We used to go to the Y- Teens dances tryin to cop a feel back in Lakeland Fla. Mike

19. PROPWASH - I beg to differ with you, but you're full of shit...and I've got the scars to prove it!!....

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  20. reverendjim

reverendjim

not even a bad thought! im only 40, only?

21. San Francisco.

In the Ol Man's roadster about anywhere there was a race or in the shop on Saturday.

Hmmn my ride, Schwin Stingray, hawiian bronze. I think that was the year that I got it anyway. Would have been when they first hit the street.

22. Trust me, you didn't want to be me at El Mirage! :eek:

23. H3O

H3O

i wasn't around but my truck was brand new!!!

24. boldventure

boldventure

Whitesboro, N.Y. Our backyard. Still have the rifle.

Attached Files:

25. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

life in hot rod world is better than ever right now in my opinion. no draft to worry about, blood thinners for after surgery [ my grandpa would still be alive today] , pills for high cholesterol and blood pressure, less mothers and babies dying during child birth, people are living longer due to better diet and exercise, more motorcycles on the road now than ever in history.

missed that erra kinda glad my luck i would have got drafted.....

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  26. Torque-Tube

Torque-Tube

Yep.

1962 was just about the center of the Golden Age of Western Civilization ('56-69). In '62 I was riding my Schwinn Corvette over to Yasgurs Dairy Farm for some of that great chocolate milk... by '69 it was a little different. Also was learning to drive on my '29 Model A

27. Academy was a nice theater, I worked as an Usher at the United Artist back when Elvis came out with out with "Jail House Rock" there was a line of girls clear up to Sears Roebuck store in the next block. we would walk the line and pick out chicks that were real friendly bring them up to the front and let them in free. got lucky more than once.
    The Managers name was Terry and always had Vodka in the office that he didn't mind sharing with us kids. He'd get drunk after closing and impress us with stories about Mafia and he was there for a while till the heat was off so he could back to Chicago, he certainly looked like a thug, but wore a tux everyday.
    Hastings was always fun, lots of fond memories even if I can't remember their names lol

28. In 1962 I was 18 and driving the Gizzle Hopper (avitar on the left). Ducktails, levi's, white t-shirts, short shorts, pony tails, Elvis, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams Sr., dune biggies,,,,,,,,ahh what memories.

29. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG]

30. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

'62/'63 is when i got out of high school ...................... steve