Register now to get rid of these ads!

42 Ford truck banjo help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 42ford, Mar 22, 2009.

1. 42ford

42ford

I can't seem to get the hub off of the banjo axle. Is it pressed on? Does the keyway have to be pushed in? Any pointers would help.
    Thanks in advance.

2. 42ford

42ford

BTT, Any help appreciated.

3. 3Mike6

3Mike6

You'll need a hub puller, some attach to the wheel studs and some attach to the little lip at the end of the hub, the one that attaches to the lip is preferred so no stud damage occurs.

PS.

It's on a taper, so in effects it's pressed on when the nut is tightened.

4. Carter

Carter

It is a tapered and keyed shaft. It will require a puller of some sort to properly remove it.

Dave

Edit: 3Mike6 beat me to it.

5. RAY With

RAY With

Just reciently pulled one. I had to use the puller plus a little heat from a torch to get it off but finally it poped off the axel shaft and from the looks never been off before.

6. 42ford

42ford

Thanks, i worked at it, the meathead way, for about 2hrs. It didn't budge. What type of puller should i use?

7. 42ford

42ford

I finally found everything I was looking for. Thanks for the responses. I searched before posting but I was just searching using the wrong question.

8. Koz

Koz

Most everybody who works on these rears has aquired one of the early KD type pullers. If you notice there is an annulary ring on the tapered part of the hub. Some of the pullers lock on to this, others use some of the studs. At any rate it's a special piece for pulling Ford hubs. I've seen several examples of homemade devices to do the same. Meathead way is to heat the tapered hub and whack the axle with a nut on the threads!, with a BIG brass hammer and this will usually free it up. Don't plan on doing this too often, it's rough on bearings and seals.

9. 42ford

42ford

I did the stupid meathead and didn't even use heat. Good thing I have an extra banjo to run and a 54 f100 axle to convert the now damaged banjo that i beat on. I am going to try the homemade puller. The KD seems like a hard to find.

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

every old Ford parts seller sells a simple axle knocker, which is a big long nut that screws down on the axle, then you knock it and "pop" off comes the hub. It happens that the threads are the same on the steering shaft so you can pop a steering wheel loose with too, just don't hit it as hard!

11. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Ive used gear pullers, ive also broke 'em too, try heat