Register now to get rid of these ads!

inline six "again"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NintendoKD, Feb 25, 2009.

1. NintendoKD

NintendoKD

Howdy, I'm the wierd guy that wanted to put an overhead cam on my inline six not too long back. I did some field work and found out that a slant six ohv head will fit right on my 230 inline six "from a 54' savoy" Now that I know this I am curious to know my performance options "I want to go all out full racing/drag" Can I put a performance cam from a slant six in the inline six? Are the parts interchangeable, if so, which are not? Can I get an hemi ohv head? I would love to go high compression 11.5/1, dangers? Need some expert advice here, and no criticism, this is what I realy want to do. It's all for a resto/mod I pulled fom Landers, CA. The engine is currently with the machinist and I need information so I know what to tell him to order how far I can bore over/stroke, performance lightweight upgrades, ......... well, everything really.

2. Wow...Makes me glad i'm a chevy inline guy...Your stuff would make me crazy...Personally i'm happy if my cars just manage to go, not that I wouldnt like a built up / respectable six someday.... Theres an inline six group that you could check out on the hamb. you can find the link listed under groups on my profile. Mostly it's chevy ford or flathead sixes, but someone might be able to help you. Good luck.

3. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

It still won't be very fast. You will probably spend about the same $$ to put in a 318 with 340 heads.

I have seen this swap fit nicely into a 55 Savoy.

Is the car in your avatar your '54? If so, it's pretty damn nice.

- Joe

4. Somebody lied to you. Slant six has 4 bolts per cyl. flat head has probably 34. I suppose you could redrill the holes if the cylinder spacing is right. Never matched the gaskets to see. It is an awful lot of work when you could just install a slant six. And what will you gain by doing it this wway over that? Nothing expect a big machine shop bill.
    Chrsyler did do a lot of development of the hemi head design in the pre fifties on a flathead six conversion. There are pictures of fllathead sixes with experimental Hemi heads on them. You need to find a head of equal bore spacing to your 230 flatty. I would guess a 241 270 Dodge hemi would be a good place to look. I would get gaskets first and match them to see. Then you woud need two heads and would have to cut one cylinder of each . Probably easiest just to weld a plate in the cut heads and have two cylinder heads on your six. Sometimes it takes 3 cylinder heads to do because of bore spacing. Then you would have a 6 Cylinder mopar hemi. Pushods would be custom but that is no big deal and you would proabaly want a different cam It wont be easy but it has been done before. My brother has a book on the 55 Chrysler NewYorkers with a photo of the Chrysler factory experiments. All this said I would pop in the slant six and be done with it.
    Don

5. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

What the hell?
    Would you have the valves in the block and the head....or am I missing something here?

6. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

Why not put the slant 6 in it?. Are you really thinking of putting a head capable of putting out 300 hp on a bottom end that wont hold 150? You are better off putting the flat head on the slant 6. This thread is either a joke or you need to get out of the sun down there or put the pipe down and get back on your meds. If you are serious maybe some engineering courses are in order. Good luck.

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Here is a small picture of a Plymouth four cylinder that I ran with a Ford 292 head. Of course I removed the Plymouth valves and drilled out the valve guides to run pushrods through. Most (8 of 10) of the Ford bolt holes were close enough that I could fudge them to fit. Two holes I had to drill in the deck and tap. These were the weak point as there was no boss cast in there to support a head bolt. The remaning 7 Plymouth bolt holes were pluged up. A DeSoto head would have been a very good fit, however the angles that the exhaust pushrods run on a Hemi head cannot be accomadated on the Plymouth block. Good luck, I don't think it's a very good idea but people told me ths same thing and I did it anyway.

Attached Files:

8. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I think you might want to measure again, your flat 6 engine block is 23.5 inches long, or 25 if its a canadian car. The slant is nearly 30 inches long, so you will need to deal with 8 inches of extra engine somewhere. So moving the radiator and messaging the firewall are going to be necessary. You might want to check the JEEP weebsites. They did some interesting things with their engines including an 5 head, intake in the head, exhaust in the block with a crossflow design. they also made an OHV version.

There is a lot of stuff you can do to your 230 to make more hp and have an interesting engine as well. If you have lots of extra moeny you can stimulate the California economy by contacting Earl Edgerton and asking him to make you one of his OHV vonversion heads for your flat 6.

the only part I know of that interchanges from the /6 to the flat 6 is the distributor but that needs some machiing ad a component swap. The flat 6 was in use as you have it from 1935 to 1965, So when chrysler introduced the /6 in 1960 they wanted something new so you may have noticed the designs are pretty dissimilar. so if you think you can cram a 29 inch long cam in a 23 inch block and your machine shop can make it work take a lot of pictures......

9. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

That's pretty neat, did you have the Ford head laying around, and discovered it fit or what? You mention fudging the bolt holes ,and I was wondering how much you got away with...would like to make adapters to use a superduty head (1/2") with stock bolts (13mm) and wondered if it would work. Not to hijack the thread, but some of this stuff is universal info...

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I drilled all the holes to 1/2 (were 7/16) the center bolt hole on the Plymouth was offset more than that. The first time I did it I drilled the block oversize and moved the center to line up with the head and installed a heli-coil to bring it back to 7/16. The second time I just used an end mill to move the hole over in the head. Some time around '57 or so a local junk yard owner/drag racer was looking at some of the new OHV stuff comming into his yard to see if it could be made to work on his '32 Plymouth. He found a '54 Ford head would go on and he did it. Made it run but was not happy with in and gave up. he told me about it, but wouldn't show it to me or let me try to make it go so I did my own. Mine went 135 in my roadster and has the V4/GR record at Muroc. Since we don't run there anymore I guess the record will last a long time.

11. I think it would be good to look at some other options. I think you are talking about a years salary into a slow unreliable motor. The top end will be huge $$, the output will not match a 4cyl Honda, and the bottom end will die. I love that you are thinking outside the box, but maybe a little too far. A slant six with some upgrades may make you much happier. Good luck on you project, the car looks great.

12. 73RR

73RR

Well, if you want something different and have a boat load of money, then anything can be done...make that two boat loads....
    It could end up a waste of time and money and may never actually work but your local shop will probably appreciate the 'stimulus' checks. If you want something different that works then consider importing an Aussie 'hemi' six. They aren't really a Hemi as we know them but they are different. You really should have a serious conversation with your check book and then look at the multitude of other options.

13. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Cool story, it's amazing how much stuff could be swapped around back then...still might find something for that 230. Good luck.

14. Hey nintendo, I know this is Your car, to do with what you want, but,.......
    if you could handle some advice...

I'd keep that nice motor in that nice car in a nice way....do anything else and you will be destroying what that car was meant to be. For what? because you want it to go fast? I shure wouldn't want to go fast in a car like that... there are better ways to die. It sounds like you want a race car or a muscle car more than a nice clean old dodge or plymoth that aren't all that easy to find.
    Besides, What are you going to do once you build that motor? replace the rear? How long do you think the trans or clutch will hold up? Are you gonna tub it? and install a narrowed rear end? Not to mention that the old drum brakes will never stop all that crazy horsepower that you are planning to install.
    Whats that old saying about a chain only being as strong as the weakest link? Your car is essentialy an antiquidated chain of weak links...I had a MARINE FRIEND who decided to do the same thing to a very rare, clean 41' nash tudor coupe. Sadly after a number of misguided desicions the car which was amazingly clean wound up trashed and hauled to the junk yard.
    If I can offer you some advice, I would sell your nice car, which you got for free, to a Collector who would appreciatte it for what it is, and use that money to buy a newer, sturdier car that will more easily stand up to the abuse that you want to put your car through. An old mustang, musclecar, or tri-chevy would suit you much better than a car which still has a six volt battery and cloth cover'd wireing That you can't find simple replacement parts for.
    I'd try to sell it in it's specific catagory in Hemmings, old cars weekly, or even on
    e-bay. This car is worth so much more now than it will be when your done with it.
    This car may have cost you nuthing but it shurely would be a shame or a sin to destroy it trying to fufill your desires. It may be your first old car love,but trust me, she's not the girl that your looking for.
    Either buy another car to fufill your need for speed or throw a nitrous bottle in there and go fast now for about sixty feet or sixty seconds, whichever comes first.
    Good luck...

15. panic

panic

slant six ohv head will fit right on my 230 inline six

Not sure what this means.

What comparison did you make?
    What measurements?

16. BISHOP

BISHOP

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? I didnt say anything.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  17. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Dude, I don't want to be rude, but it sounds to me like you're in over your head. That's cool, we've all been there. Trying to create a one-off Frankenstein motor based exclusively on the advice found on an internet forum will likely be frustrating, expensive, expensive, expensive, (did I mention expen$ive?)and then, based on your comments, you'll probably blow it up even if you could get it to work.

That's why engine swaps were invented. Make friends with the motorheads in your neighborhood. Be nice and helpful and they'll probably reciprocate.

Good luck.

18. panic

panic

Need some expert advice here, and no criticism

I see.
    You want only comments that tell you that this will work - and then specifically design the whole thing for you.

Good luck with that.

19. Hey dere,.... I found myself wonderin......How all that oil (lubrication), and mabey even coolant would find it's way up there........
    Strokin it? does someone sell a crank kit for it?
    Lightweight upgrades? consider leaving off the extra head.
    Did you have to pay that machineist in advance?
    Dude, as far as your field work, I think someones stroking you...
    It happens.......

20. Then Again...You could put 2 intake manifolds, and 2 exhaust manifolds on the same motor!!!!!!!I always heard that the trick to lighting up a six was getting it to breathe!!! Who needs a 12 port head???
    24 valve Inline six.........six cylinder Quatro.......

21. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I am sure that there are ways to figure out how to do something creative up top.....and you STILL have a bottom end with not enough main bearings, not enough counterweighting, not enough lubrication and not enough rod or piston strength.

Hot rodding is about making something from one thing work over there on something else. I guess that means you can put together a poorly conceived science project. If you have the time and the money and you wnat to put together an FU project, go for it. But unless you are prepared to go very, very deep you should not expect to be too happy with the results.

Last time around, I suggested you drop in a Jag XK engine. That advice stands.

22. Isn't there an Aussie Mopar "Hemi" inline six? Might be easier to just have one of those shipped over.

I get the sense that trying to build an all out motor from one of these little flatheads is going to equate to some really expensive broken parts in a hurry.

23. Jag Motor? As in an X.K.E. jag motor in that 4 door plymouth?
    who would be driving this car? the little old lady from pasedena????
    Quick, Call Jan and Dean!!!! we got them set up for a race, Tell em to drag out their 6 tail lights....just stay clear of deadmans curve!!!!!! Wait, didn't one of them eat the rear end of a truck? We'll we only need one of them to drive that custom machine......

"Well, the last thing that I remember Doc.....We Started to swerve....."
    "LOOK OUT!!!!!!!, LOOK OUT!!!!!!!,LOOK OUT!!!!!!!AAGGHHHHH!!!!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  24. RodStRace

RodStRace

Lots of good advise as far as why this particular brainstorm is ill-advised. I'll offer one more minor detail if you have worked out all the others.
    The intake and exhaust, in addition to being on one side (not crossflow) also are tilted down 30 degrees. This means that the carb will be angled and roughly at the level of the cam. It will also be very close to the steering box....
    Oh, and I bet you will have oil drainback issues too.

Attached Files:

25. Why would anybody take advice from a guy prone to keeping armidillos' in his trousers?????????????????? Or was that a potato??????????????

Boy rod, thats one hell of a jolly green giant youv'e got on your profile there.... What are you gonna do? stock or rod it????You know why it lasted so long? It was that extra bumper guard... I can see that one failed but the 3rd leg saved the day...an ounce of prevention was worth the pound of cure....Cheers.....
    P.S. It's cool to see that the radio tuner goes well past "11"

26. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

its easy to sit around and dream about stuff that you really arent going to do. you could really build a nice car w/ that flathead or even the slant idea. sometimes when i design a car or mc i make 3 lists. 1 if i were magic, 1 if i were rich and 1 that i am really going to do. this guy is still stuck on the magic list. i dont think this guy has built many motors and doesnt know the fun of taking an old flathead and porting/relieving. makin manifolds or splittimg manifolds, designing stuff and really doing it or swapping a slant 6 in and modifying that. like alot of people today he is stuck on just doing something no one else ever did (which isnt really possible). unfortunately thats where these dumbass (pardon the language) choppers came from. building a nice car for yourself instead of trying to impress others by saying you're wierd is way more satisfying.

27. The scary part is that mr mario said he's already RIPPED the motor out of its home as it's waiting at the machineist for orders from Dr. Frankenstein.
    This cars future has already been pushed past the dreaming stage and closer to the possible point of no return....
    Your dead on about all the old time speed tricks though. It'd be sweet to see that car at a cruize with a simple, clean motor with a coupla pots and a nice sound to it.....(Hint, hint)

28. BISHOP

BISHOP

Your dead on about all the old time speed tricks though. It'd be sweet to see that car at a cruize with a simple, clean motor with a coupla pots and a nice sound to it.....(Hint, hint)[/quote]..................................... I second that.

I cant hold it back any longer, I have to say it. METH IS BAD. or whatever your doing.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  29. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

heck theres plenty of really good inline 6,s use one of them, who,s to know, who cares, it would still be a 6, and at a reasonable cost and effort. You can find 300 inchers
    and, 12 ports, 7 main bearings, just walk into a wrecking yard and take a look around. Oh and yes them mopar hemi,s can hold there own with the V8,s

30. FSHTNK

FSHTNK

have your machinist lay that block on it's side, manifold face up. You'll notice the 3 intake ports are equi-spaced between the cylinders.
    Have him machine two round ports were the original one is. Following?

Giving you any ideas yet? No?
    Now make an intake manifold giving you 6 intake ports and not 3.

A much more cost effective way of hopping up the 230, but don't expect it to go any faster. For that you need compression, and the simplest way is to use pressure, (turbo it)
    I beleive this is a very do-able option, and whether or not it goes faster is irrelevant, because it would look wicked, and you would have guys scratching their heads in wonderment all day long.

DO IT. I regret selling my '54 and not doing it.

Attached Files: