Register now to get rid of these ads!

Two Lane Blacktop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob37, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Okievoodoo

Okievoodoo

This thread reminds me of Abbott and Costello, Who's on First...:eek:

2. chuckw2

chuckw2
    from So Cal

Opening scene has Big Willy and the LA Street Racers

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

Does anyone have a link to watch it online?
    I googled ARES and got http://www.officialares.com/
    but that looks like its only music

I read about a movie with a different name and read the script in Playboy in 1970.
    In 1971 I was passing thru San Angelo Texas and saw a primer gray 55 with no front bumper parked in front of a theatre.
    I went back to look at the car and saw a movie poster with the same car advertising Two Lane Blacktop so I went in and watched the movie.
    As I was watching I realized it was the same movie I had read about.
    They had changed the name of the movie.
    I havent seen it since 1971

4. This is from Mr.Kimble from the show "Green Acres". Two Lane Blacktop, with Dennis Wilson or was it Flip Wilson, no, that was a 55 Chevy that flipped, but that was another movie with the same car, well not the same car, but a stunt car. That movie was American Pie, no, that's when they drove the chevy to the levy and put graffiti on it, no, yeah, well anyway, in the movie a guy drove a "Little GTO", well no that was a song, but anyway... What were we, well maybe not we, but you talking about? Oh yeah, I remember, getting your blacktop paved twice, or was it once? :confused::confused::confused:

5. Jackson Browne did have a part in the movie. He lit up a joint he got from the Doobie Brothers and burned up the film in the end. :rolleyes::eek:

6. nor cal nic

nor cal nic

and then james taylor, not the white dude in the movie but a different fella' by the same name sang for Kool and the Gang...and in some car circles words like cool and custom are spelled with a K... 'ya know, one might say, "what a kool kustom '55 chevy!"

7. DE79

DE79
    from Austin,Tx

Well i just watched it for the first time....some cool cars,but i kinda want to bang my head against the wall.

8. 61TBird

61TBird

Keep banging...

You have to be in the "right state of mind".

9. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

OK, not for everyone, even got a shitty review in September '71 Car Craft, but it is and will be a "CULT" classic, and, having just seen it, I'm amazed just how damn funny it is in some places. They tried to wreck the Chevy, in the scene where they are being tailgated by the Charger and approach the wreck, the brakes were too good and kept the car from flipping. Another "legend" says they filmed a rollover, but the footage was eventually lost so they could show the "mind fade" ending, supposed to signify the driver having a breakdown mentally and crashing in his last race.

10. Yeah,the seventies are a little foggy for me, too!:D

11. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

Wasn't the same car ,from 4 Lane Blacktop, (55Chevy) used in American Graffiti? or visa virsa?
    I'm getting old
    I can't remember
    I think that 55 was used in 2 movies

12. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Yeah it was the same car in American Graffiti. THey never opened the hood on the car in AG cause it was not period correct under the hood.

I saw the movie when it came out cause I am a James Taylor fan along with a Hot Rodder. I anticipated hearing him sing all through the movie, maybe hear him on a radio in the background or something, didnt happen.

I still enjoyed the movie cause it had a lot of connections with how my life was back then. Oh to have lived in the 70's.......and remember some of it.

13. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

Worst ending ever, but about in the same realm as Vanishing Point...

It's really, really hard to find a great "car movie", kind of like trying to find a good movie with special effects... They have to concentrate their energy somewhere, I guess.

14. dodgeboy

dodgeboy

I wonder if the 69 red Daytona in the 1st scene of the movie shown steet racing is still around today.That and the green ford coupe they raced against from the scene at the drive- in.That would be cool if they were! :D

15. That's that same guy.... Singer song writer James Taylor was "The Driver".

16. chevy3755

chevy3755

i grew up in that aira .......primered 55s....we could not afford the paint.....didnt make alot of money being a gas jockey......music was good then.......hell its still good today.......sorry just an ole fart ranting..........

17. You are right... I was thinking the Drummer from Zepplin.... yes, Wilson walked out into the ocean.
    "Succeeding years saw Dennis Wilson's alcohol abuse problem worsen. On December 28, 1983, shortly after his 39th birthday, Wilson drowned at Marina Del Rey, Los Angeles. On the day of his death in 1983, Wilson was quoted as saying "I'm lonesome. I'm lonesome all the time"

A bit of unknown info....
    "In 1968, Dennis Wilson was driving through Malibu when he noticed two female hitchhikers. He picked them up and dropped them off at their destination. Later on, Dennis noticed the same two girls hitchhiking again. This time, he took them to his home at 14400 Sunset Boulevard, near Will Rogers Park. Dennis then went to a recording session; when he returned at around three o'clock in the morning, he was met in his driveway by a stranger, Charles Manson. When he walked into his home, there were about a dozen people occupying the premises, most of them female. Dennis became fascinated by Manson and his followers, and the "Manson Family" lived with Dennis for a period of time afterwards, at Dennis's expense."

18. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

If you actually remember the 60's or 70's; you really weren't there!

19. I herd dat ders gonna bea 2 Lane Blacktop Reunion out wes at a local berger pulace wit alda original stars an cars n stuff, an sumbodee iz gonna sho da moovy ona big skreen. Wow, I mite drive my 55 cross country tobe dare. Butt furst I gotta getta battry, ken anyone E-mail mea gud battry? :eek::p:rolleyes::D

20. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Just watched it again.
    Saw this thread, always SOME form of trivia I glean from these threads.....NOPE, not this time.

Watch NASCAR it's way better than TLB, OR, maybe the latest Will Smith movie.

For what it's worth, I think Sammy Davis Jr. did a great job as "GTO".

21. jersey fink

jersey fink
    from jersey

do a search..there are pics of the green ford today.

22. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What happened to the girl?

23. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I own the special edition dvd, anyone want it? Sadly disappointed by the lack of plot, character development, just seemed like a half baked idea drug out for two hours.

24. Laurie Bird committed suicide in boyfriend Art Garfunkel's Manhattan penthouse at the tragically young age of 25 on June 15, 1979. Garfunkel dedicated his album "Scissors Cut" to Laurie. The album features a partial photograph of Laurie Bird on its back cover.

25. LOL it was! I only watched for the cars. I would be interested to know what happened to the '55's over the years, heard one got crushed.

26. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

The Suprbird sold on ebay about a year ago. It belonged to a famous L.A.-area street racer who actually had two of them, a street car and a race car. I don't remember the details of the car, as far as engine, etc, but it was the car from blacktop. BTW, I just checked my local listings for TCM, and it's not on here, WTF??????

27. 61TBird

61TBird

Here's your earlier post...

That's NOT the same James Taylor.

28. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Was the Two Lane Blacktop car the same 55 used in the opening scenes of the movie "Pit Stop"? That is a 1969 movie by Jack Hill. Lots of vintage tin destroyed in figure 8 racing.

29. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

The TLB '55 was also in a TV episode of "Adam-12". the old cop show.

30. I see what you mean.... the link went to some other James Taylor at IMDB.... I wonder why they did that.... sorry.