Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hot Rod Radios

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C9, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Has anyone on here converted a semi-modern 2 knob (switch/volume, tuner) to control by cables fron a '30's 2 piece radio?

2. I have seen it done,it was in a late fortys buick I think.....check hemmings,still in this kinda deal it might be easier and cleaner to use a hidden rf or tissue dispensor type of set up.JMO

3. Mine is hidden in the glove box with a cable for my MP3 player in thee ashtray. Works great, with the ashtray open for driving I can use the MP3.

4. I have a pair of drive-in movie speakers hooked up to an amp under my seat, a cable runs up onto the seat for my i-pod. Simple and lets me hear the music I want, no talk, no concern about wether it looks correct (Model A's didnt have radio's!).

5. weldtoride

weldtoride

I saw this at last week's Hot Rod & Restoration Show trade show in Indy, where it won a "New Product of the Year" award in electronics. The restorers like it because its a non-invasive hook-up; totally external through the factory antenna jack. A theft deterrent, too. Who steals old AM radios? And it's made in the USA, very admirable of them.

6. gonmad

gonmad

You'll have to look at my pics below in my sig line until I get on a real computer to post pics.

It is where the center speaker used to reside in the dash. When I open my ashtray, it pops out of the dash. Pretty cool IMO! But I am a bit biased!

7. I put a stereo in my 40 Olds coupe......then couldn,t hear it with the engine running.I never sat around anywhere,s so it never got used.Shit...you couldn,t hear anyone else sitting in the car if they had something to say!

8. Gutted a 30's Motorola radio box and stuffed a late model unit it.

Attached Files:

9. 24 years ago i worked @ the local ford dealership. the auto sparky told me that any old radio with ford script on it was a goodie. reconed they were worth hanging on to.

10. here is what I did with mine.

Attached Files:

11. hemifarris

hemifarris

I bought this original '34 Ford glove box radio for my Vicky and had it converted to 12 volts. I haven't installed it yet. I'm not sure I need a radio............Mike

Attached Files:

12. WOW, I love this dash!

[​IMG]

13. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

Not from the factory anyway but radios were available for the model A. My dad's restored 29 Tudor has a 1930 radio (controls and receiver) that mounts to the steering column the amplifier and speaker are seperate and mount to the firewall. There is a large loop antenna that mounts to the bottom side of the drivers side running board

14. Radio Joe

Radio Joe

Ive been building custom radios for classic cars for about 15 years now. I also do restorations and add MP3 inputs. Below are a few pictures of some conversions and MP3 inputs. The corvair radio is currently mounted in my 65 Monza.

I also posted a tech thread on How to add an AUX input to your own radio for those that want to try it. => http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300222

Attached Files:

15. what a good idea.what are you doing about rca outputs and a remote turn on lead??

16. My Terraplane has the stock radio facing and dials, but the controls are connected, by cable, to a modern AM/FM radio, hidden near the steering column up under the dash. That unit is completely hidden form view. I also have a pair of 6x9 speakers, mounted way up in the kick panels. They, too are invisible when you sit in the car.

17. Banger

Banger
    from TN

Good Stuff ! I just got done rewiring the dash (for safety) in my '50 Ford. I removed the ugly pioneer casette unit and couldnt get it to the trash can quick enough ! Unfortunately in the cars past, some idiot cut the dash. I am going to put the original back in and modify it to play my MP3. Anybody have a '50 dash section with original radio openings?

18. Radio Joe

Radio Joe

All the conversion radios have RCAs and Remote leads already coming from them.

For stock radios, it is really easy to add that stuff, but not many people want it. No one wants to amplify an AM radio, If you want an amped MP3 player most people just skip the radio completely- That leaves only people with AM/FM and 8 track radios.

Its really easy to do- Just noone has asked. PM me if you need something.

19. I am narrowing one up and may have those parts.

20. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I'm just gonna bite the bullet and take a technological step......to a portable MP3 that's got an FM tuner. My dash has a stock speaker grille that'll be put to use with an amp buried somewhere in the car.

It pains me to say it, but the technology has come far enough that everything between restored stock radios and Ipods.......that vast middle ground is obsolete. You no longer have to make the appearance compromise or hack your dash or eliminate the glovebox.

21. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

I am putting a stereo in my wifes Falcon. The stock AM/one speaker setup is staying. It works.

What I am going to do is put a sub in the trunk with two amps and a cross over. The one amp will run the sub the other amp will run the speakers in the rear tray and up front in the kicker panels. I will run an input cable up to the front seat where she can plug an mp3 player into. no new deck needed.

There used to be a thread on here talking about what is needed to do this setup. seems it would be fairly simple...hell may not even need a x-over as most amps have a sub out already i think.

22. thats a great idea..... would it work on a 62 corvair am radio?

23. This outfit is advertised in Hemmings. Sorta pricey but may be the thing to do. I've got a signal seeker AM radio in my '56 that works sometimes, sometimes it don't. I want mine converted to FM. I may look into this when I hit the lottery ..

www.american-classic.com

24. Radio Joe

Radio Joe

Yes it can be done to any old car radio.

And a note on the Conversions like the one that the American Classics website shows- Just about all classic car radio companies today offer a similar conversion- They all use a circuit provided by Antique automobile radio in Florida. Not Bashing on American Classic Work (Im sure they do good work) but just so everyone knows- the circuit is all the same so look for a shop that offers the services and extras you want in your radio.

And No- I dont offer those conversions through my shop so its just some friendly advice.;)

25. Micky D

Micky D
    from Olympia,WA

I keep the original radio in the car for looks. I hide the new unit in the glove box.

26. Between the gear whine of the Muncie, the Quickchange, and old age deafness, I don't need, and can't hear music anyhow!
    HemiDeuce.

27. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

I love the classic radios and think i'll try to modify my 52 fords factory one. I like the idea of swapping out the inside........ think i might give it a try.

this is another idea i posted a couple weeks ago, i didn't want cut my roadsters dash or have any speaker grills in view.

so i bought one that comes with a wireless remote control and made some brackets to mount it (and speakers) up under the dash out of view but still usable (i don't have a MP3 player, but wanted to be able to play my CD's) it's mounted at an angle.... time will tell how well it works.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]