Register now to get rid of these ads!

Our Garage caught fire and....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Renae, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Renae

Renae

of course the car was in there and we were'nt home. Just a reminder for all you out there with the washer and dryer in the garage make sure when you empty the lint screen don't throw the lint in the garage put in the trash..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dannyego

dannyego

3. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Whew! Glad it didn't burn the car and house to the ground! I had a garage fire too. Lucky to be home though and smell it while I was putting my work clothes on. The vinyl ceiling hung down like curtains and a lot of smoke damage. Pretty lucky otherwise.

Hope your insurance company works with you as well as mine did for me...........

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow-what a super bummer. Hope home owner insurance will cover. No matter what, very sad to see. Never think about something like lint causing a fire. Was fire contained to garage? Many other causes for home car fires, including diodes in an alterator shorting and wiring heating up. To help prevent that always use a master kill switch.

5. paddo

paddo

:( sorry to see it mate

6. moter

moter

"Just a reminder for all you out there with the washer and dryer in the garage make sure when you empty the lint screen don't throw the lint in the garage put in the trash.."

Sorry to hear about the fire damage...fires always suck and there is no winner..I dont understand your statment here, was the lint on fire when you threw it in the garage or was the garage ready to go up in flames when the lint showed up? :confused:

7. Renae

Renae

Insurance company is being dicks of course the car isn't covered and hopefully we can replace alot of tools and stuff but we are gettin screwed on the structure part...But at least it's not as bad as it could of been and nobody got hurt and my ol man doesn't hate me....

I emptied the lint screen and just threw it on the floor by the dryer and that's what caught fire and then the car cover started burning so they say..

8. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Man that sucks.....did the fire get to the house or just garage? No one injured I assume, so that is a good thing. Fires really destroy soo much. When you rebuild the garage make sure you go BIGGER!!! I think that is the law!! Sorry to hear this news....

9. Renae

Renae

yeah only the garage but I think I'm bad luck!!! I moved out of my parents house 2yrs ago and there house and garage burned to the ground a 1 1/2yrs ago and my dad lost 3 cars (a 32 roadster my moms new car and my dads work truck )and his Harley and now this!!!

10. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Another reason to never leave the house with the dryer running.
    Co-worker of mine left his running. Burnt the house to the ground the day before they were to close on selling the house.

Good thing the car didn't catch also.

My home owners insurance covers the contents of the garage no matter what.

11. Renae

Renae

that's what we thought but if your car doesn't have full coverage it's not coverd at least that's what happened with us and my parents

12. My agent told me the only thing with wheels they would cover was the lawn mower, so i keep comp on all the cars.
    So if the shop catches fire I'm throwing that damn mower in, really no laughing matter sorry it happened to you.

13. guess it could have been a lot worse. my dad taught me to always turn stuff off @ the wall before bed & when going out. its second nature now. i dont even know im doing it. the car dont look to bad.

14. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

I'm almost finished building a new garage at my place. The city made me put in fire sprinklers. I wasn't real happy about that at first but the more I thought about it it seemed like a good idea. Now I think it's money well spent. Glad no one was hurt. Ya, it sucks, but things can be replaced, people can't Kurt O.

15. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Another reason I sat down with my insurance agent. With our wild fires etc. I had set a evac plan for cars, bikes, horse, dogs etc...After our little talk. All I worry about what is irreplacable. Hotrods, horse,dogs and US.
    The other crap can be replaced ten folds over.

16. Yeah sure! Instead of smoked shit you have flooded shit! Remember, the building code is written to the lowest common denominator as in the lowest accectpable standard. Like getting a D and passing.

17. Might be careful what you publish for everyone to see. Insurance companies are really screwing people now days and only need an excuse to really leave ya hanging. Feel sorry for ya about the fire and glad that everything is "material" that can be replaced.-Weeks

18. Renae

Renae

yeah your right cause the car, the bike, the cats, the dog can't be replaced. I'm just glad I wasn't home cause God knows I would of tried to get the car out and who knows what could of happened.

19. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

If it has a pink slip it is not covered by your homeowners. I don't trust insurance agents, they are just salesmen selling "what if" as their product.

20. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

yeah TMan.
    Those wonderful sprinklers they make us install out here in SOCAL...ONLY FRIGGIN WORK WHEN THE POWER IS STILL ON!

21. Make sure to clean the dryer vent tube itself once in a while, too, those things can get loaded with lint and clog, causing a fire. When I read the first post I thought that was going to be what happened here.

22. bluestang67

bluestang67

I try and clean the vent tube every year or two since the dryer is located central of the house . Sorry on the damage but all can be redone except the human and pets lives .

23. jangleguy

jangleguy

Yikes! My dryer sits inches from my hot rod! I'm very careful, but stuff happens: Last year, I was working in the shop and noticed something in my peripheral vision. I turned to see my new heavy duty extension cord burst into flames! Just dumb luck I was there at that moment (the extension cord was not in use, but WAS plugged in). Now I'm paranoid enough to double check everything before I leave the shop...

24. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Man. sorry to see this. I'm glad everyone is Ok. Every time Ken and Vicki are at my house, Vic. checks out my dryer vent. There is usually enough stuff in there to knit a sweater with. Scary stuff for sure.

Doc.

25. Before your next fire, read your policies.

26. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

Fire sprinklers are not powered by electricity! A fuseable link, inside the sprinkler itself, pops, and enables the flow of water to extinguish the flames. Just as the great movie myth of ALL the sprinklers in an entire system go off at once, rather than the ones where the heat reaches a sprinklers predetermined defusing temperature. The only electrical component in an entire system is the flow detector, and buzzer. The flow detector is only to notify your alarm service provider and fire department.

Sorry for the detour and sorry to hear of your families misfortune.

27. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

sorry to see that. hope it works out.
    time to go check my lint screen..

28. lewislynn

lewislynn

Judging by his location I'm guessing he's referring to the electricity powering the utility's water pumps...Like during major fires.

29. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Fire sprinklers are not powered by electricity! Really NOSHIT!:rolleyes:
    The power supplies the well pumps in my area!

30. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

Just an FYI about cloth dryers.

You should check the lint screen to see if water will go through it.As a retired Fire official there have been notice about lint screen be clogged. Some of the fabric softners have been known to clog the lint screens. To check them run water into them and see if it drains out. If the water does not drain out the screen is clogged and will cause the dryer to overheat and may cause a fire.