Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kookie Kar & Golden Sahara

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cecil, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

You gotta figure its just a car to somebody that has lost interest. Hes been there done that and could give a shit about people wanting to see it.
    My dad was a car guy but he has no interests anymore hes 83. I will show him a magazine or pictures and he looks and 1 minute later doesnt care.
    People asking to see it are probably like tellemarketers to him.
    The cars have been setting there longer than some people have been alive that want to see it.
    The fact is its his cars. You can ask but you see his track record.

2. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Save a rotting historic car in a rotting barn for 30 years and you're a hero when the community "finds" it and you sellout for quick cash.

Save a rotting historic car in a rotting barn for 30 years and don't sellout when the enthusiast community finds it, you're an evil villain.

If anybody in this equation is punk rock, it ain't us.

3. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

Not when he bought it, was just a really great custom of that time. For the next thirty odd years it became one of the unloved and unwanted by 99.9% of people into modified cars.

It would be like asking YOU to buy a current West Coast Customs built car and care and maintain it for the next 50 years. On the chance it may become popular again

People collect art and other things of personal importance, it is there property. And no one has the orthority to tell them what they can do with it and that it should be shared with others.

We know where these two cars are and have been for decades, and will be for some time to come.
    I more interested in the possible chance a clone is being built, and who has taken on this task. With the chance of seeing some build shots

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  4. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

Wow. Stalker Alert.

Not quite sure how it's a great start to 'getting to know someone' by calling them an Asshole on a public forum without ever meeting them??? Good people skilllzzzz.

Shifty's right on. This dude bought the cars and held on to them when there wasn't a lot of interest in them. Chances are he saved them from completely disappearing. Now he has every Kulture Klown in the world bugging him about them, probably 95% without the means to buy them and probably a good percentage of them just talking trash about condition or mods to the Kookie car. I don't blame him for not wanting to talk to most people. It is pretty punk rock. With posts like this, I'm starting to understand why a lot of cranky old people are the way they are.

I'm just glad the cars are still around. Maybe this Jim guy's an asshole, but he's an asshole that's made some pretty good investments.

5. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

You never know he may have been contacted already if someone is building a copy.
    Just a thought...

6. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Werd.

This board dished out 37 lbs of shit when one of our members bought a monster garage car. Most of those that supported the purchase told him to change something.

7. I guess I'll throw in my twopence:I don't know Jim personally but I have a friend in Dayton who does.I have to concur with the people who say that the cars are his to do with as he pleases no matter the alleged historical significance.
    The other day I went to a small shop to do some striping on a car.It is being built by the brother-in-law of a very good friend who has in his possession several former show cars of some note.They patiently sit awaiting the time when they will be restored.
    The car I was to stripe has in all probability never been made into a hot rod:a 1937 Mercedes-Benz 540K roadster.The car;had it been restored would easily be worth several million dollars.It's value as a hot rod?Whatever it will eventually bring I suppose.The owner;who is very well off financially chose to do this for one reason:because he could.He has had numerous people become totally appalled at what he is doing;one even threatened him physically to the point that when the car is eventually shown his name will not be anywhere on it.I was not allowed to take any pictures of it as it being groomed as a possible Ridler contender.
    My point in all this is simply:no matter how much we rail against this man,in the final analysis it is his vehicle(s)to do with as he wishes.I would love to see both cars restored but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

8. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

The Golden Sahara was way ahead of its time.. the video Shows if Im not Mistaken the second version of the car.. I have a Picture here some where of it with the single fin on each side.. Correct me if Im wrong..

Ive never heard of See through tires either.. How was that done? Did he use aircraft and helicopter controls in his Steering design?

Also,, A cool video..

9. These cars weren't desirable their whole life as they were show cars that were dated. They went thru a period where no-one wanted them. I think it is amazing that he held on to them this long. It shows me that he has always liked them even though they are in a state of disrepair, he has always had feelings for them or they would have been gone by now. Now it is a big deal to resurrect old customs and they are sought after. They are his cars and he can have them squashed or buried if he so desires. I have a friend that bought with great difficulty an old top ten custom from Car Craft magazine in the sixties. He went thru a lot of hoops to get this car when no-one else thought it was worth it. It was a dated showcar and needed a redo. He loved it and pursued it until it was his. He still hasn't restored the car. I don't think he ever will, but he loves it. Guys are always on his case to do something with this historic custom. They feel it is his obligation to fix it. Hey, he bought the car when no-one else wanted it and it could have been crushed and missing in action at this point. He saved it and when he is thru with it, although I doubt he will ever sell it while he is alive, then the next guy can redo it. My point being, it is still around. Pat.

10. S.F.

S.F.

Well, I can try damn it!....It took me 6 years to get my roadster, Im patient and persistant.

11. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

I totally disagree with the people saying "they are his cars and he can let them rot if he wants". These are probably 2 of the most famous kustom cars of all time. If they are being neglected and getting worse year by year then something should be done about it. If Pat Ganahl said the Golden Sahara was almost unrestorable in the 80's then what does it look like now? In another 15-20 years when this guy passes away then it might be totally gone!

I think if enough people got together and talked to this guy then something positive might happen. Maybe like some sort of a moral intervention? Because what he's doing by neglecting these cars is letting 2 important works of art get destroyed in my opinion. I dont think a bunch of people showing up at his house is the right choice, or someone stocking him to try and be his friend is good either, it will probably just piss him off even more! But what about some sort of a letter or petition from some important people in the hot rod/kustom community? Some sort of letter expressing how important these cars are to everyone involved in the hot rod/kustom commmunity worldwide, and maybe signed by his friends and all the Fooses, Brizios, Ganahls, Etc.., and about a million HAMBers! Might be worth a try!

12. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

I talked to Jim Street a couple of weeks ago
    He's always been friendly to me
    He just changed hobbies, that's all
    I got to see his beautiful boat
    he has plans to restore the Golden Sahara
    I guess he just found a company to make the tires,finally!
    The tires were Transparent White that were "Lighted"

13. 'Mo

'Mo

The translucent tires were actually gold in color. When I first saw them, I thought they had been spray painted. They are not real clear, but light does pass through them.

By the way, here is a link to the Golden Sahara "I've Got a Secret' clip, in case anyone has not seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh79rjltJJI

14. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Here is a crazy thought. Why not host a Cinematic-style event IN Dayton at one of the Drive-In theaters there and show "Mischief". Kinda like a tribute. Catch is...it HAS TO BE IN DAYTON:). I can understand it would be difficult to locate the movie but it might be worth it. It would be awesome to have a Pre '65 none "RR" (...and that doesn't mean railroad) show. I mean, yea, those cars get looks and attract crowds but so did siamese twins, pinheads, bearded women, and other anomalies. Besides the point is to honor a great custom that just so happens to still be in Dayton, so having aesthetically pleasing cars is a must. Maybe you could even be able to show an episode of 77 Sunset Strip and kill two birds with one stone. The Dixie Drive in is great cause it's a twin screen so it's not like they would totally be losing business. Just a thought...and what I thought was a good one.:D

15. Rod Ari

Rod Ari
    from Finland

As Trichop told Mr Street maybe restores the cars. Haven´t anybody (else but me) noticed that things get more complicated as time goes by? And guy has owned cars very long time. Even if he has decided to start project it may be difficult to decide where to start?

Other people´s pressure is not always nice if you are working with something special. A very good friend of mine is restoring really extraordinary wheels. He says that physical building isn´t always the hardest part (if you have some skills, money and tools) but to decide how details have been and how much to cut and built from scratch. You can feel that you destroy the soul of car if you replace too much. On Kookie Kar & Golden Sahara situation is quite good because their parts aren´t tored away and lost in the jungle Forgetville like it happened with my pal´s car. Actually you have to do on some evenings on garage (many) decisions which will stay there forever. Later generations will think those are the original solutions.

I think the old guy is conscious of rarity of both car and may need his peace but sometimes a polite conversation about cars may be only good for projects. Even if you can help him.

16. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

so does anyone want to start a petition and send it to him? Ill write something up if you guys want online http://www.petitiononline.com/. or is this a futile effort and let them man do what he wants?

17. That would just piss him off more, eliminating even a shread of a chance for someone to see them.

I know it would piss me off if I got an "internt petition" telling me what I ought to do with my cars.

18. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

true.

19. Maybe the reason that Mr. "Streets" is such a reputed asshole is that he bought the Kookie Kar years ago and set out to "improve" it and make it even MORE cool than it was but.......he did his work to it with the blowers and stupid looking bucket seats etc, took it out to show if off and everyone laughed at him and his car? I bet that is what happened.
    Wp

20. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I've thought about that.
    Also he has owned the car longer than anyone else but it is still called the Kookie T or Grabowski T, maybe he reall thinks his version is better....may be his mindset.

21. I would bet a pack of Camel's on it. He probably got laughed at at some cruise-in and said "Fu#k it! I will work on boats from now on."
    Wp

22. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

There's a good chance dealing with retards like you ultimately prevents the rest of us from seeing those cars. Want blame? Look in a mirror.

Boats can take you further away from idiots than cars can. Coincidence??? Doubtful.

23. Retards?
    Hey I was just speculating on the matter as was everyone else. I have never and never will ask the man to see the car.
    You can blow a goat if you don't like my theory.
    Wp

24. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

As others have said please leave Mr Street alone.I have never met Jim but i have heard a lot about him.There are some things you do not know about Mr Street that are private.He is into collecting and as you know he had collected two of the most famous cars around.Some on here talk about the T being ruined.When Jim redid Kookies T he actually brought it up to the crazy sixties theme that was pupulor at the time.I guess some think the Monkee Mobile should be restored back to a stock GTO?I have heard he is trying to get the car restored.If you really want to help i know he needs someone to make the paint that was originally put on the car.As someone said the paint was actually fish scales that made a pearl finish.Because of all the restrictions it can't be made.I can't imagine anyone on here wanting to pay for the one off tires Jim is willing to buy.If you really want to help you can help him find the stuff he needs to finish the car. Just be glad the cars are in the shape they are in and stored INDOORS.They could have been cut up many years ago.

25. S.F.

S.F.

Yeah but it would be alot more fun to see the cars, post up pictures and get a free piece of art work from Von Franco. If he doesnt want to be bothered than he needs to sell the cars. You cant just "not get bothered" if you own the freeking Kookie car AND the Golden Sahara...c'mon. seriosly!

26. TOM KITCHEN

TOM KITCHEN

Did you guys know that Dayton, Ohio was named "Cruisin' Capital East of the Mississippi" by Car Craft Magazine in the '80s!!?! I was born & raised there and knew of the Golden Sahara and Kookie's Car and was always proud to say they were in my neck of the woods. They ARE Jims cars to do with as he pleases, just like if someone owns a Rembrandt and decides to paint over it...its HIS/no one elses!
    The reason Dayton has ALWAYS been THE CAR PLACE is after WW II thousands of workers came from the area and KY. to work for fantastic wages at Frigidaire, NCR, Delco, McCalls, Chrysler and hundreds of job shops. With all that money they bought fast cars to show off "back home". It was a standard joke that the GOV. of KY worked 2nd trick at Frigidaire! The line to get across the Ohio River on Easter weekend backed up 10 miles.
    I was lucky enough to grow up during this time and for years pulled out THOUSANDS of neat cars from Dayton and Cincinnatti. Hope to see both cars before I go. Some of the features on Sahara II are just now being "introduced" on a new Mercedes. I never saw the Gary Moore video, its fantastic/Thanks for posting it guys.

27. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Now it's a line of cars trying to get out of Dayton!:D;)

Really, the cars are his and he need not be harrassed by us. However, we could just try our hardest to recreate the "classic car" scene to persuade more folks to bring out their cars.

28. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I'm amazed at the level of gaul exhibited by some of you guys. If somebody had the foresight to purchase a couple of vehicles that he appreciated, and then decided to update one of them (The Grabowski T) to match the trends a few years later, what's the matter with that? How would you like someone to tell your wife she needs to change her hairstyle to the way HE likes it? I don't care HOW 'grumpy' the Street guy is....these are HIS possessions to do with as he likes - if this GS and Tbucket are important to you - rather than gather up some foolish petition, gather up some serious cash - then make him an offer - then you get to be the guy that decides just where to begin and what to do. In the meantime - no wonder he's grouchy, I'll bet he's got forty years of flatbrim TITheads telling HIM what he ought to do with his property. Get over it kids...take a hint - he doesn't want/need/require/or solicit your input. He owes YOU nothing - he owes the 'kustom kulture' nothing. If you spent more time worrying about your own stuff - this mundane crap that you can't do anything about anyway wouldn't bother you so much. I'd guess Mr Street made his money the old fashioned way, and he deserves the privilege of being able to live a life devoid of a bunch of righteous minded 'car historians' railing about his failure to come up to their standards.

so...sit down...shut up...sip a beer....and relax.....let the ducks come to YOU....

dj

29. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

and yes, I know it's GALL - my bad - I have a problem with homophonic malaproprisms -

dj

30. Algon

Algon

The tires on the Golden Sahara appear to be the same ones Goodyear toyed with in the 60's. The Beacon Journal did an article on the same back in March 2008.

I hope those that know him make Jim aware of the contents and intent posted here...:D

The only thing I would have to agree with in this thread is that these cars should be preserved being the pieces of history they are and hopefully any restoration is faithful to the original versions.