Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects This girl needs advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kirsten, Mar 12, 2009.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Maybe nothing, but.......

2. Kirsten

Kirsten

Holy crap 5window, have you been spying on me??? I bought 3 mexican blankets just for the occassion. I'm even taking an auto upholstery class at the local college so I can do it myself!

3. Kirsten

Kirsten

Hey Manson, know anything about replacing door parts? None of my doors close right and my mechanic told me today that I need new parts. I can hardly understand him but I think I need whatever connects the door to the frame. One door is actually spot-welded shut because it was so worn out!
    Any ideas?

4. old1946truck

old1946truck

Thats a cool looking car I like the wings on the back. Dont put a SBC in it those are bland everybody has one. All you will be is part of the crowd. Keep the Caddy motor or replace it with another Caddy motor no SBC's.

5. AeroMonte

AeroMonte

Go for it, that's a steal at that price. Flip it later if want. I just bought my first Caddy, a 61 Limo. It's been sitting since 1977 but I'll get her running soon. Your doors probably just need new hinges, no biggie.

Attached Files:

6. Probably a decent buy if you want to flip it later.
    To buy it and fix it up....
    You have to ask yourself some questions that only you can answer.
    1) How much rust is there and can I fix it myself?
    2) What do I have to spend on this car to make it roadworthy?
    3) Will I be upside down in it when it's done, (or do I care).
    4) How soon before I expect to have it running.

7. I'd do it if I had a place to keep it but it sounds like you'll have to pay to store it somewhere. That could add up to a lot more than it'll ever be worth even if you get it running. If you could store it free or at your house then it would be a completely different deal. And I'd never, ever, put a Chevy motor in a Cadillac. It would definitely be a cool ride though. I love 50's Cadillacs.

8. Kirsten

Kirsten

CrazyUncleJack, I think the St. Bernard might be able to escape from this car with a bit of work! I picked her up yesterday and there is quite a bit more rust that the owner admitted. You can't quite see the road under your feet but I bet you could if you stepped too hard. Still interested???
    :p

9. ST. 515

ST. 515
    from TEXAS

Kirsten, caddy parts can be very pricy. Do your homework and find people who know caddys. I've restored many, and it could be a big headache if you are missing any parts. If you need any help, you can pm me.

-Saint

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. sr

sr
    from Monterey

Runnnnnnnnnnnn

11. Kirsten

Kirsten

I needed this advice yesterday!
    :p

12. 61TBird

61TBird

Does that mean you bought it?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  13. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, she wants ADVICE.

Yes, I am single..........

Too bad I make the elephant man look good.

14. Kirsten

Kirsten

Yep.

15. 61TBird

61TBird

Congratulations.

Also,we need pics!!

16. Special Ed

Special Ed

Don't consider it rust. Consider it "oxidized patina". Congratulations on becoming a Caddy owner! Good luck!

17. Post up some pics of the damage.
    My fellow board members (along with myself) will gladly assist you with information, advice, opinions and moral support.

Who needs solid floorpans anyway?

When I was a kid I was given a 64 Impala. The pans were very "holey". I melted tar in an old barbecue grill and repaired the pans by using tar paper and the melted tar. A coating of tar, then paper, tar, paper, tar etc.

Was the quietest interior of any car I've ever driven.

18. Kerry67

Kerry67

Good !!! I was going to say don't pass it up because you may regret it down the road. You can always sell if you decide not to do it, but if you pass it up, you've lost you're chance at it.
    Your wagon looked cool as hell when you got it. After reading your description of it I was expecting a POS. I think it looked great......Plus, WAGON'S RULE !!!

Cheers !

19. Kirsten

Kirsten

Here she is in all her glory.

Attached Files:

20. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I think you'll do good on it.

21. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

A little cutting here, a little welding there, a little grinding, some paint.. voila!

[​IMG]

Cool project. ;)

22. eddie1

eddie1

I think you made the right choice in buying it. My 2 cents based on my own projects is finish the Plymouth before starting on the Caddy. In my case I have 2 projects on the go & it feels like I am not making any progress on either one.

23. Kirsten

Kirsten

I just had to drop her off this morning because I had to return the truck and trailer I borrowed. I will pull all of the crap out of her this weekend and take pictures of the floors and all of the pieces in the trunk. I'll post those up some time this weekend.
    Thanks for the generous offer of help and support, I'll need it!

24. Deadbird

Deadbird

You did fine on that purchase. Heck, the fins alone are worth somethin', right? Rat Pack Vegas cruiser at it's best. A Lucky Strike burning in the ash tray and Sinatra on the 8-track! Gotta love it.

25. Kirsten

Kirsten

Yeah, looks can be deceiving I guess. The wagon is a great 20 footer. The floors were all gone and I have since welded some sheet metal in their place. Someone had shoved 2x4's in the rockers and then nailed them to the car and bondoed over that. No bondo left so just a big rusty hole with a hunk of wood in it. 1 door is welded shut and the rest don't latch and stay closed. The great thing about this car is that it runs! Just had the carb rebuilt, master cylinder rebuilt and had a choke added this week. Next week its new tires and exhaust and then I think I'll register her and start driving to work! I'm super excited about that!

26. Kirsten

Kirsten

I just need to say thank you to everyone who has replied to my post. Everyone in my "family" thinks I'm crazy and I won't hear the end of this one for a while. Glad to have support and affirmation that I'm not an idiot coming from somewhere!
    BTW, I forgot to add that I talked him down from the original 1k to $700 and then down to $500 before I gave in. I feel pretty good about that if nothin else.

27. SSSHHHH! Don't say Rat Rod to loud here, you'll get BITCHSLAPPED!

There is no rat rod, there's pile o'shit and Hot Rods and Kustoms. Make it a Kustom. Show everybody that some girls do have brains and can turn a wrench.

28. TurboHaddix

TurboHaddix

Wow! That's a steal. I thought you said it was rusty. In my neck of the woods that's a rust free car. I have seen 5 year old cars rusted out way worse than that here in oHIo. Wanna double your money on it?

29. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Kristen.. You did good girl..the car looks good pulled down on the trailer just think how good it will look after its baged..