Register now to get rid of these ads!

AGAIN 1 pc bumpers for 53 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Saoutlaws_Gotti, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Saoutlaws_Gotti

Saoutlaws_Gotti

what is up with the 1 pc bumpers for a 53 chevy

is there non
    so far ive checked with
    chevy of the 40's
    filling station
    restoration chrome

and no body has anything available

somewhere there is bound to be a place i can get em cause i see em on tons of cars

anybody had any luck with this

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I saw one once. Most people preferred the fancy ones, so I bet the 1 piece ones got scrapped by alot of guys over the years.

3. ...think I just saw someone sellin new ones, Chevs of the 40's maybe, give em a call.

4. Saoutlaws_Gotti

Saoutlaws_Gotti

no one seems to offer a one piece for the 53

52 and older yeah everyone seems to have em

5. screwtheman

screwtheman

6. Saoutlaws_Gotti

Saoutlaws_Gotti

dont mean to be rude but guys look i already tried the place you are telling me

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

So, make them yourself!
    It ain't hard....did both on my 54.

8. Saoutlaws_Gotti

Saoutlaws_Gotti

might end up having to do something like that

hey wouldnt it be rather cool if some one did a tech on it

9. sarge904

sarge904

I am dying to have one pice bumpers for my '53. I emailed Chev's of the 40's, and they told me that 49-52 bumpers wouldn't work, even if I fabbed custom brackets. The National Chevy Association says they're going to have some one piece units available soon. That's cool....but not sure I'll have the cash to buy brand new bumpers. Probably around $325-350 a piece judging by other year models. May be had for me to dig up $700 bucks plus for bumpers.

I've seen several 53's with one piece bumpers. What did they do? Weld and smooth the 3 piece ones? Or are there other models that will fit the width and profile? I'm not concerned about the bolt holes lining up. I can fab brackets, and want to completely shave the bumper bolts anyway. Anyone know what options there are? I've been searching the net, but I'm drawing a blank. Any help would be awesome! :confused:

10. I saw a brief tech article on this idea of welding the sections together as well as the bolts to the bumper and then grinding it all completely smooth before having it sent off for rechrome work. I believe it was in either this months or last months "Ol' Skool Rodz" magazine. It wasn't a '53 used in the article but it was the same basic idea..

11. sarge904

sarge904

Awesome. Thanks! I'll start looking. Wouldn't be bad if it was just a straight. flush weld. But there's a little "step" where the joints come together. Not impossible, but would be nice to start out with a one piecer & then just worry about the holes. Thanks again!

12. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

don't call, GO TO some local chrome shops and ask if they have any bumpers left behind by customers that didn't pay.
    swap meets, I've seen a few over the years, they are out there.
    e-bay, thats where I found my front one-piece.

I bought a parts car just to get a rear one piece bumper for my car, I put my 3 piece bumper on the parts car, took some other parts off it, then sold it for a profit.

keep looking and be prepared to pay, hope you find one.

13. 54metalman

54metalman

Take it easy guys!!!!! Do even think of welding and grinding your 3 pcs. I have had over a hundred of the damn things in the last 20 yrs. Just call OLD CAR PARTS in Portland OR. 503-771-9416. Ask for joe or joe jr. They have them. Original!!!!! may need rechrome but its real and it fits. If they dont have any, very hard to believe, just let me know. I have a buddy that lives in the hills with a stash of shit that would blow your mind for yrs to come.

14. sarge904

sarge904

Sounds good. I'll just keep on looking. I just didn't think that they made a one piece in '53. I thought they all came with three piece bumpers, and that only earlier years had one piece units. I'd much rather find some straight originals and go from there. I just didn't think they came in one piece that year. Thanks!

15. Dago Red

Dago Red
    from Delaware

'53 Pontiac front bumpers are identical, and they are one-piece. At least mine is.

16. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

pontiac bumper are cool lookin

17. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

18. 56Ponchorelli

56Ponchorelli

Upping this for you.

19. atomickustom

atomickustom

Pontiac bumpers are NOT identical, but you could use them if you can find them. (Personally I think they look better, but good luck finding nice ones!)

'49-52 front bumpers WILL work on '53 if you trim the splash pan a bit in the middle.

A guy who goes by the nickname "Dad" has a flat-black and green-flamed '53 210 every year at the HAMB drags with a '51 or '52 one-piece front bumper on it. (The car was all green until it got rear-ended a couple years ago, so some may remember it that way.)

20. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I see folks want a one piece but dont want to pay for it $300 to 350 for a new chrome bumper is not bad especially when it is a one year only model (49-52 I believe are the same so that is a lot more potential buyers to help justify the cost of manufacture.
    Plus anyone who has ever bought a good used one and had it chrome plated by a good chrome shop (not a bumper boys quality) but one that should last more then a year or two. it will cost you more then the above price. Ya 300 to 350 is not cheap but for a nice straight chome bumper it is not out of line.

21. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

amen, it cost me 300 each to plate my original bumpers, if the new bumpers are any good its worth it.
    I did hear the new bumpers are not as thick as old bumpers but I have not seen one myself.

22. sarge904

sarge904

I agree....$300 to $350 isn't bad for nice, new, shiny & straight bumpers. Not at all. But personally, I want to shave the bolt holes, using reinforcement plates & studs on the back side. So I'd have to buy them at that price, put more work into them, and have them rechromed anyway. I just need to find some straight originals, weld the bolt holes up right, and then have them chromed.

It wouldn't make sense for me (personally) to buy a brand new set and then weld on them to where they needed new chrome anyway. But that's just because I want them totally shaved. If I didn't mind the bolts, I'd pay the price in a heartbeat and throw them on. Doesn't sound like a bad deal at all.

I wish they'd also offer them in an un-chromed version at a cheaper price! Or make a chromed version with studs & no bolt holes. Just totally slick. That would be sweet! But I'm dreaming on all of that. I better just keep looking for some originals in my case.

23. hotdamn

hotdamn

maybe I am stating the obvious or some one else has already said it. ( I did not see it if they did.)

the one piece bumpers for a 53 54 chev are factory califonia bumpers.
    they had laws requiring a solid one piece bumper.
    keep you eyes peeled for any california parts cars?

24. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

Wasnt these one piece bumpers offered originally on california cars???

Shadetree

25. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

Hotdamn beat me to the draw, and ansered my ?????

26. 1953 Rat

1953 Rat

Hey guys here is some pics of my 53 it was built in California at a LA plant and it has 1 piece bumpers on it so i agree with the built for California laws. There is a guy who is asking about stuff to repop for 53 chev's right now you may want to say 1 piece bumpers.

Attached Files:

27. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

We picked up a rechromed 1 piece bumper for my girlfriends wagon from a guy in Monrovia for $200 with no core charge as ours was completely shot. I can't remember his name but he has a stall at Pomona, that's where I found him. I have seen better quality chroming, though it's not bad by any means. It has stood up to a couple of English winters so far, it lives outside the whole time, and it is still in as good shape as when we bought it. By all accounts the guy used to do work for Superbell a while back. If I can find his card I'll pass on the details.

[​IMG]

28. Dago Red

Dago Red
    from Delaware

They sure look the same to me. I'll double-check mine tonight.

Attached Files:

29. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

I've done a bit of mental digging and finally remembered who I got my one piece bumper from, it was Adan's in Monrovia. Trouble is I can't find any reference to them on the internet, but it's a start! still looking for their card.

30. atomickustom

atomickustom

Isn't that a Canadian Pontiac? It looks shorter in the front than most Pontiacs.

1953-54 Pontiac front bumpers have a ridge along the bottom, and the rest of the bumper is more flat than Chevy, which is one continuous curve from top to bottom.

Pontiac and Chevy frames are different, too, which means different brackets. I know that Pontiac bumpers can be put on a Chevy, but they are not the same. (If they were identical, every Pontiac and Chevy bumper you saw for sale would be listed as a "Pontiac or Chevy bumper").