Register now to get rid of these ads!

#@%$$&! Flathead screws!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marks914, Mar 17, 2009.

1. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

Started working on the 35 master again. I forgot what a pain it is to get alll of these flathead screw out. Any tips? I keep breaking the tips on my impact screw driver! I am also going crazt drilling and using an extractor that breaks the screw odd inside the hole.

Mark

2. I have had pretty good luck with wax.Heat up the screw with a propane torch and melt candle wax into it.Do a few more and go back to reheat the screw again.The heat draws the wax into the threads and you might be able to break it loose with an impact.

3. I have used a dremel, or similar tool to cut a deeper slot in the screw, and sometimes make it a phillips to get more leverage.

4. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

heat... i use a torch on everything

5. kevinc

kevinc
    from highland

theres a tool ive used in past that works well, it takes different sized tips and you hit it with a hammer and as you impact the top the bit turns, i think its a craftsmen product, but it works pretty good even on heads that are stripped

6. Go get one of those map gas blow torches if you dont have an oxy set up, worth every penny. Just did an A cowl by heating the screw, cool it with a wet rag and out they screw............

7. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

Lol speaking of flat head and phillips head screw.

I have some trivia. When was the first phillips head used in the automotive world?

8. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

Do a search for a home made tool post from SamIam. It just might change your life.

9. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Think it was Cadillac--definitely not Ford!

10. Defisch

Defisch
    from Hudson FL.

Henry Phillips in the early 30's. there was a Phillips Screw Co. that never made phillips screws or screwdrivers thought that was odd.

11. Defisch

Defisch
    from Hudson FL.

sorry, my bad he just invented them not use them in automobiles.

12. LowFat48

LowFat48

if they are big enough , like the screws that hold the door hinges , weld a nut to the screw head , the heat will loosen it , and you`ll be able to put a wrench on the nut

13. Slide

Slide

Marinate them overnight in some Kroil penetrating oil.

14. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

I read some where one time that they where used in 1939 on 1940 production cars and it was Ford. If I remember correctly

15. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

The story is that Henry Ford would have nothing to do with Phillips head screws, so Ford didn't start using them until 1949, after he was gone.

16. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

They look great but suck as far as user friendliness is concerned...

All good ideas up top, heat then a wet rag seems to do the trick for me.

17. Black Primer

Black Primer

On the stubborn ones, I'll take a bolt and taper the threaded end, then weld it to the screw head. This way I can turn it with a wrench and the heat from welding also helps out.

18. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for the input, I am hoping to start actually making progress.
    mark

19. I do something similar that works almost every time....I get a nut with a center hole that almost covers the screw top......grind off the rust from the screw and lay the nut on it. Weld down through the hole and wait for the nut to cool. [Ive found through experience it works better that trying to remove the screw while it's still really hot] Unscrew the nut/screw and go to the next one...works for me.

20. bct

bct

as a woodworker i feel bad for you americans ....we have been useing robertson screws here since early 1900's...10x better than phillips and 20x better than flat....ol' henry refused them too,and then they got tossed out of the states ..

21. The Robertson screw in Canada was invented by a phillips screw salesman. They are far superior to the phillips and ford used them on his model T's in Canada and also the A's. Pat.

22. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

If I remember correctly, the hinges on my dad's 47 Ford are held on with Phillips heads.

23. helmsville

helmsville

this allway's work's for me and it's fast