Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need info lowering the front of my 55 f100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WHAT IT IZ, Feb 7, 2009.

1. WHAT IT IZ

WHAT IT IZ

I want to lower the front of my 55 f100, i dont have the $ for a drop axle. I would like to drop the front by removing a couple leafs. has any one done this to this truck? were there any problems? how many leafs were removed and how low did it go? Does any one have any info? thanks.
    I got the back figured out. Im putting in 4 inch blocks. need help for the front. thanks again!

2. Zawada

Zawada
    from Attica,MI

I actually was going to post the same question, sad to see no replies with all the 48-56 f100 trucks they all can't be IFS can they. I put the rear axle on top of the springs which works great, I am also trying to put the front axle on top of the springs which seems to be going well also, so far I have come up with few problems, I did machine the bottom of the axle parrallel to the original mounting area then used 1/4 plate to duplicate the 4 u bolt holes and the alignment hole in the center for where it will rest on the spring then I used 3/4"od 16 gauge tube to connect the plate to the axle for support and a guide hole, bought new u bolts and whala! (I only have $80.00 invested in it so far including the rear, however I did have the 1/4" plate already but the u bolts and the tube I had to buy) Now my problems are 1. the tie rod assembly needs to be re-bent/longer to clear the leaf springs. 2.the drag link off the pitman arm will have to be shortened. 3. the frame will need to be c notched for travel. 4. the shock mounts will go right in front of the axle/u bolt attaching to the underside of the spring using the original shock mount plate just in a different location using either another set of u bolts or a custom plate made from 1/4" steel. Well now ya know what I'm doin, what do you have!!!!!

3. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

dont know but i love that year truck

4. havi

havi

Typical is removing every other leaf keeping #1,3,5,7and the main leaf. This should lower the rear end approx. 1". Front end can be done similarly. Aftermarketwise, I tend to shy away from monos for safety reasons, but dual flex Posies or similar spring packs seem to do the trick. Reverse eye mains are another way to go, which involve flipping the shackle mount on the frame (at least for the rear). That's a vague nutshell of an answer. With the proper technique, you an reverse the main leaf yourself.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009

5. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

Heat springs with torch to lower the traditional way.

6. WHAT IT IZ

WHAT IT IZ

Wow, sounds like it just might be better to spend a little money and get a 4 inch drop straight axle for the front. As for the back, im gonna have to put the rear axle on top of the springs to get it lower. Im not gonna bother just pulling out leafs for a little 1 inch drop. i gotta go low.

7. Zawada

Zawada
    from Attica,MI

That's the problem we have we need to get low not an inch or two, as far as buying a drop axle that's just not in the budget. This project here happens to be one of those there is more time than money if ya know what I mean.

8. havi

havi

Reverse eyes and every other leaf removed is a 3" drop. Any more than that you're talking drop axle. IFS on the other hand....

9. The Gambler

The Gambler

my buddy worm did it in his 55 f100, on my friends hit him up i know he did it cheap! wtf i thought this was for sale?

10. brewsir

brewsir

Maybe you can flip the axle to the top of the springs and do the same on the rear. Build some support plates so the axles don't try to rotate and so you can set the pinion angle and the castor angle. Might have clearance issues with the pan and bump steer problems......but it's cheeeep!

11. junkiegene

junkiegene
    from anaheim

You might want to watch for a used drop Axel, seems to me there should be a few around, with so many thinking they need an independent front end. I've run my Mor drop Axel since 83. Ya got to tweek the steering arm to pevent bumb steer. Make sure you have some one with experince do that, lot of pressure on that arm. I just put a lower profile tire on, helps the look. good luck.

12. Tacson

Tacson

I would recommend this as well checking for a used dropped axle

13. 53floored

53floored
    from kansas

If you dont have money for the drop axle you can reverse the eyes like me and I removed 3 springs the 3 the guy at the spring place that has done it for years said I could take out and still have it ride good I also have a 3 inch drop axle and when I had my new main leaf made I had him move the center bolt forward 1 1/4 to center the wheels.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]