Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 38 Buick... starting to really think.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zman, Nov 24, 2008.

1. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Sorry man but I really do not like the fadeaway fenders. There's no way I would ever do them to this car. If I was down with them I'd probably just have a 46-48 Buick.

2. Ice man

Ice man

Being a Buick lover for more years than your here, and 38s 39s and 40s especially, Pay the buck and get the good skirts. Those were not good when new, there flat and have no style, you know it and so do we. Look at the skirts on the picture, they have class. what you have are skirts. My 3 cents worth. Ice man

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The skirts will have some contour to them when they go on. They will no merely be flat. I got them instead of making a set as I wanted the hardware and the gaskets. They also give me a headstart.

4. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

Just for added info, the 37-38,s had a lower lid than the later 39,s and 40,s, so comparatively they are already chopped. The rest is personal tastes, but make sure you photoshop any other changes as these cars had a pretty good visual balance stock.

Hnstray likes this.
  5. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

also as far as motive power is concerned, the straight 8 is a good engine, its a reliable, not fussy, engine, with taller gears it will get decent mileage, and also get you where you want to go. The nailhead is the 'only' replacement for V8 power in a Buick. just my cents worth

Hnstray likes this.
  6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

If the straight 8 would of been there it might have gotten used. No engine and tranny, no problem. I seem to have a few Nailheads hanging around. This one will most likely be a 401 with 2x4 induction. I'm torn between an automatic and a manual though. I have both.

7. Orn

Orn

[​IMG]

I vote for this one. Hard to beat these awesome body lines and I agree with you for sure, no fade away fenders.

IRION29 likes this.
  8. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You know for some reason if your not going to use a straight 8 the car could benefit from a shortening of the hood to make it more visually pleasing. They are beautiful cars as is but if you were to get balls deep into it I think that the original design could perhaps be tweaked to create you own styling. But then again, I have never cut a car like that up and I am sure there is way more work then my words lead me to believe.

2 x 4 401 dressed up properly will make this car stick out and run like bat out of hell. I have 2 x 4 365 going in my '54 but that's a whole different ball game.

Keep us updated.

10. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

Bakinthdy, Buick was one step down from Cadillac, The long hood was a symbol of prestige and power in the old days. Cads had a long hood with a short engine. Buick had a long hood for a long powerful straight 8. [which in many cases exceeded the Caddy]. A shorter hood would just eliminate the essence of a Buick, might as well just modify a chevy it would save lotta $$$

Hnstray likes this.
  11. JAWS

JAWS

Am I so lame that I missed this thread?

Don't have to answer that Scott..

Anywho, um.. my vote is for ....... the black ford, or the gold one...but I really like that three window 40ish one that (C)Kustomike made.

Buick, who wants a Buick...

Oh, where did you get those skirts?

12. nick_s

nick_s
    from Ohio

All the po' folk who bought Fords. :cool:

13. 1- shot slinger

1- shot slinger

quickie photoshop with a lasalle grille and lower headlights...even if you dont go with the grill I think lowering the headlights will make it look cool.

[​IMG]

14. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

1 shot can you add some buick wires to this pic like zman had earlier ?

15. 1- shot slinger

1- shot slinger

16. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

the La Salle grill makes it look like a '38 La Salle, not that it's bad, just wanting a Buick... :rolleyes:

Now I do like the wires, and at some point I hope to have some on there, but budget wise it won't make the first cut.

18. striper

striper

No sir, I don't like it. The wires that is. Seems to put it in another era. Some classy full wheel covers would do the job.

Pete

19. brewsir

brewsir

Chop that sucker a couple of inches in front and a little more in back and make it a full custom!!!!

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Not gonna happen, I dig the roof line, and the Buick grill for those that wanted that changed as well. In my opinion chopping it would ruin the lines and make the car look wacky. I tend to pick cars I like the looks of already...

Hnstray likes this.
  21. Caddyq

Caddyq

I read Felson's book "Hot Rod" in 7th grade. The car was pink and it was cool to read about but masculinity aside I usually can't stand pink on a car. Just dosen't look right. And I don't care if Elvis had a pink Cadillac. Pink no good on car. Just my opinion.

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

the pink was a joke... :rolleyes:

23. retromotors

retromotors

Not to hijack the thread, but damn! I can't believe someone else remembers that book too.
    I didn't remember the title or author, but when you mentioned the pink and copper color scheme, I knew exactly what book you meant.
    My memory is kinda fuzzy (it's been 40+ years!) but didn't Bud go with a warmed-over MG 4-banger for motive power? Seems like maybe that decision also mighta had something to do with the girlfriend. (Sounds like my kind of woman ... gal had some weird shit goin' on ......!) :D

24. JAWS

JAWS

Bud Crane lives....

25. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

It's a Pontiac, but it's similar....sorry, these are the only pix I have of it....a lot of ideas here reminded me of this local car....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Caddyq

Caddyq

Thank God the pink was a joke! Like what you're doing with it though.

27. NoSurf

NoSurf

Any updates on this project? I know you've been busy with other things but what's the future hold? I really dig this project and want to see it progress.

:)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
    zman likes this.
  28. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

oh, hit a man where it hurts, things being what they are it's stalled. Life and such has made other things a priority. I need to make room in the shop and get her inside to work on.

29. We just chopped Jake's 1938 pontiac with Gene Winfield.

Staying tuned for progress on your Boo, zman.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. Question, zman,
    How do you think that Jag suspension on the '57 would work in the '38?
    Following the '57 build has got my cogs turning. ;)