Register now to get rid of these ads!

Took 38 years but have a "Hot Rod" now

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SportsterBobber, Mar 17, 2009.

1. SportsterBobber

SportsterBobber
    from Duluth MN

took me my whole life so far but got my ford 5 window coupe on sunday shes a 31 on a kustom frame built out of a 64 impala convertible(boxed) has 64s dash also motors a 70s 350 sb chev & 350 turbo trans & before i hear take the body off & put it on some 32 rails i fell in love with this car when i was 11 & a cousins brother in law owned when i was 18 my cousin bought car & had it till mid 2000s when he sold her( i was a day late finding out it was for sale) picked it up on a trade for a lot of my stuff but its mine we will be rebuilding it in 60s style (Radirs or Astros tuck & roll & fur interior mildly built up motor Red tinted glass) :D

Attached Files:

2. congrats...man I hope that tower of wheels doesn't topple over on it...

3. pauliesocial

pauliesocial

shes gorgeous the way that she is.... but I LOVE the gear shift whered you pick that baby up at

4. SportsterBobber

SportsterBobber
    from Duluth MN

I am way up here in frozen Hell er i mean WI on lake superior this car was built in the early 70s my cousins brother in law got it in the mid 70s just stored it in his garage till the late 80s when he sold it to my cousin he showed her & drove it to shows till the early 2000s i heard it was for sale in 2003 & called him to find out it sold the night before i found it last summer at a "collectors" with a long story about how he got it from a barn where it had been sence the 70s bla bal bal will i just smiled & nodded & let him know if he ever wanted to sell her to let me know so bout a month back my little brother ran into him at a bar & he was saying he needed a built BB chev & 6 speed for a 60s vette he had & my bro told him i would get rid of my 68 nomad drag car so he called me stopped & wanted it & my GSXR bike & a lot of wheels seats parts ETC so i made him a big ass trade to get this Coupe but shes mine:cool:

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Sorry man but that frame is ugly, ugly:eek:.. the suspension looks like crap hanging out there. :eek: and the car is looking a bit confused as to what look it's going for. But it's good start and you're the one that has to like it.

6. Mr. Weld

Mr. Weld

Got any skinny slots in that stack of wheels extra? I need 2 3" or 3 1/2' wides for a project..

7. SportsterBobber

SportsterBobber
    from Duluth MN

i do think frame is ulgy i just cant destroy something built as long ago as this was but i am going to be doing a lot to ulgy ass grill headlights & dumpping these Ansens 15x4 & 16x11s for some radirs with wide whites

8. RAY With

RAY With

Sporster,
    Congradulations on your new find! You have plenty to work with there and plenty of ideas and information on this site to get it just like you want it. Every guy needs a hotrod!

9. i think i saw that on Craigslist?

10. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Grill and headlights aren't all that bad BUT that frame/front suspension sucks a big dick ,terminaly fugly. By the way try using some periods and Capital letters . That one long run together mess is hard to read.

11. SportsterBobber

SportsterBobber
    from Duluth MN

yep he had it on craigs but he could not get the $15K he wanted for coupe.........:(

12. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Neat car...it is good to finally get the one that you have been after for so long. I was able to get the 28 Model A that was in my neighborhood when I was a kid and have had it now for 15 years. Never will sell it. Took too long and too much money to get it. GOOD LUCK

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's an interesting example of 70's hotrod you have with some history. I think that several sources make tube A arms for that front end as it looks like Mid 60's Chevelle. I

I think I'd just clean it up a bit and get it running right and then put some tires that you could actually run down the road on it and drive the wheels off it.

14. Congratulations! I remember seeing that car many years ago, probably in Gatlinurg or maybe Pigeon Forge and thinking what an abomination it was even in the '70's. Ironically, as I look at your pictures I'm kind of thinking it may have its place just the way it is. After all it has survived the way it is for a LONG time. Of course that may be because nobody could stand to look at it long enough to make the necessary changes,:D It's kind of cool in a funky sort of way. I'd have too drive it just like it is while I built a new chassis for it. What are your plans?

15. Big Tony

Big Tony

kewl story and glad you finally ended up with it...also glad you gonna put it on 32 rails...long time coming so have fun with it

16. Congrats, I love when a plan finally comes together. Definately a cool history, you could just leave it unique and drive the hell out of it for a while.

17. Recluse

Recluse
    from Montana

Heck, I like it just the way it is. It's different.

18. I know the feeling of getting that long waited for Rod. Glad to hear you're in the "club". :) It's the best.

And if someone doesn't have anything nice to say....bugger off.:mad:

19. jchav62

jchav62

Cool car! I like it. Congrats...

20. i've seen worse

21. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Congrats on snagging your A!
    As much as I like traditional cars, there's something about a fugly 70's built rod that I kinda like as well.

22. DeuceDog

DeuceDog
    from Breese, IL

Glad you have it...please take a look at the type of cars here. Having said that, build or refine it however you want...it's your car.
    DD

23. CrazyUncleJack

CrazyUncleJack
    from OK

If I may be so bold (or stupid) as to show my ignorance of the older metal...

Why exactly are you going to replace the frame? If it's boxed, it should be strong enough, right?

24. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

glad to hear your wanting to go the right way with it!!! good for you!

25. Way to hang in there, congrats. It's pretty cool as it is, but we all change them after we get 'em so they become "ours". Post some photos as you change it.

26. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Strength isn't the issue. The current frame just doesn't look good. Simple as that.

But congratulations on getting your rod. I don't know why the hell that was the one you've pursued for so long, but I guess different tastes is what makes hot rodding cool.

It's definitely not my flavor, but I'm glad you like it.

27. HotRod33

HotRod33

Glad to hear that you finally got your hotrod.... If anybody does't like to bad.... Its yours and you have a car to drive.... how many of them have garage or driveway queens that don't move ....... but they can put down someone else's ride....

28. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I congratulate you on being able to attain your dream. As usual - different dreams for different folks. If you like it, that's all that counts, but it visually does have some continuity problems. Drive the crap out of it, and enjoy yourself while you do it. Anyone that's in this hobby for any other reasons, isn't worth the time it takes to ignore them.

I second the suggestion that you eschew the running on sentences and lack of punctuation. Sentences, periods, capital letters are all meant to make your missive more understandable - when you just rattle on without any punctuation it make it very difficult to understand just where one thought ends and another begins sort of like this when I dont bother to allow the reader to even take a breath because Im too busy composing an endless string of random comments many of which have to be read again so that the gist of the statement can be construed properly yet there is no way to adequately discern exactly what the sentence is attempting to convey because there is honestly no mechanism for isolating specific statements that might be of significance and you can imagine how messy it would be if you had a prodigious vocabulary with a penchant for polysyllabilism or garrulous sesquipedalian discourse.

Keep that in mind...next time, eh?

dj

29. I like the cartoony bigs and littles, and the funky dash... Good on ya for finding and obtaining a memory.

Not to hijack the thread, but do you think that someday somebody will curse the "new traditional hot rodders" for removing all the IFS's from the 70's era cars?

30. SportsterBobber

SportsterBobber
    from Duluth MN

i type the way i talk & yes i gotta work on that but you know about teaching a ol dog new tricks ........i took off the bigs & littles today just not my style will post pics when i get Astros chrome slots on car

Attached Files: