Register now to get rid of these ads!

exhaust??????????????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by westcoastct, Mar 17, 2009.

1. westcoastct

westcoastct
    from ca

Hey fellas getting ready to fire it up looking for some ideas for that nice old sound what kind of ideas you got for exhaust i got a sbc 350.

2. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Truck manifold with straight pipes. That's how mine is and it sounds really nice.

3. THESNEAKYTIKI

THESNEAKYTIKI

Smitty's glasspacks. They are not raspy and sound really good at idle. Do not go with a Flowmaster. It is the wrong sound for that car. Do a search on the board here for Smitty's. There are plenty of posts pertaining to glasspacks. The car looks good and it should sound as good without causing to much attention for the wrong reasons. Good Luck

4. superduper88

superduper88

Someday I'm going to try the strait pipes thing, I've wanted to forever.... I like glasspacks myself for an "older" sound.

-John

5. smittystoys

smittystoys

smittys or long glasspacks i do a lot of hot rod exhaust work for the kind of car you are building that would proubably go the best ( just my opinion)

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Headers and Flowmasters.

7. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

we use stainless specialtys,performmasters.they are a round all stainless muffler.i allways try to run the longest muffler you have room for,normally 26-30" long.

-danny

8. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

If you want an oval case muffler, both magnaflow and thorley mufflers are basically a glasspack inside. And magnaflows are available in a crimped case design.

Straight pipes are a lil cackly for my taste.

"old sound" pretty much means small, long pipes with glasspacks. Those pipes have as much to do with the sound as the muffs.

good luck

9. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

small diameter pipes with smithys placed in the front and as little many bends as possible with echo cans

10. If you have room, try a pair of three chamber Flowmasters.

I have a pair of these on a 2 1/2" all the way true dual system on my 5.4 liter F-150 SuperCrew and their sound is very reminiscent of glasspacks & steelpacks from back in the day.

I also run a pair of two chamber Flowmasters on the 462" Buick engine in my 32 roadster.
    The sounds not too bad quality-wise due to the short tailpipes, but the car is louder than I like.
    An H-pipe helps a lot in getting rid of the low rpm rumble.

Three different muffler styles on the 32 before I settled on the FM's.
    Best sounding setup was the little glasspack Turbo Muffs.

Trouble with glasspacks is, they sound great for two weeks then get louder.
    The glasspack Turbo Muffs did that, but they didn't pick up too much noise after the two week (break-in?) like regular glasspacks do.

Open exhaust sounds ok at the track when you're running a healthy engine, but open exhaust on the street with a stock engine sounds to me like the car is broken....

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I owned a muffler shop for 30 years. The sound of the exhaust is a very personal thing. Each customer was different. They, like you, have a sound in their head and they want you to tell them what components will give them their sound. Tastes have changed and your tastes will change as you get older and in my case the older I got the louder I wanted the pipes. Many guys went the other direction.

The best thing you can do is stop someone when you hear something you like and ask what he used. We have kids from 16 to 75 here. You will get lots of replies but not many true answers to your quest. How do you type out the difference in sound of a Flowmaster, a glasspack and open pipes? Good luck.

12. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Here's my best shot

Flowmaster = straight pipes pointed into a metal trashcan, minus the cackle

Glasspack = Burbles like a boat at idle, machine gun at WOT. Caliber of gun varies with muffler placement and gas exit.

Open pipes.....biggest variable of the group. Always cackly, and pussy engines have a hollow sound reminscent of a derby car. Meaner engines fill the sound spectrum and if you listen close have a symphony of smaller noises within the large one. Pitch is usually determined by engine family.

There's also been mention of glasspack blowout....magnaflows have stainless packing and don't burnout like a glasspack.

13. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I do muffler work.....I can do 1 3/4 to 5 in MANDRAL , compression 1 1/2 to 3 ... metro Atlanta :cool: call with your exhaust needs 770-428-7474 Bryan

BILLETPROOF this weekend ...see you there!

14. INKed

INKed

Glasspack.... I got a set of Spin-tech in mine and going to change to a set of long glasspacks...

15. My 54 has a 350 as well. I am running stock manifolds, 2" aluminized exhaust, basic (read cheap) aluminized glasspack style mufflers(24") with pipes dumping behind the rear tires. Car has a great rumble, not to bad on the highway with the windows down. With the mild cam it gets mistaken for a nastier motor. But I just came upon a good combo. Mine was done at our local Exhaust Pros store (mainly midwest I believe)

16. chaddilac

chaddilac

I called them Smitty's for years... just so you guys know they are Smithy's....

[​IMG]

17. -DMC-

-DMC-
    from Ohio

It comes down to ...cackle, rumble, and so on. Some like the cackle, some dont. Some like the loud romp, some dont...

Length, and shape, has much to do with it. And also tail pipes or no tail pipes. You should find a car that you like the sound of. And ask the owner...You have from oval turbo mufflers, to short or long glass packs...

18. why would anyone go with a flowmaster on a hot rod? wrong sound. I would use Smitty's.

19. Like someone else said, it's a personal thing. It's just me but I can't stand the sound of Flowmasters unless it's on a really big motor with a really big cam. Otherwise, to me, they whistle and you can tell one a mile away. I wanted Borla's but they were too expensive and I got a deal on Magnaflows. They are stainless and sound really good on my Y-block. 2" pipe and 2 1/4" mufflers.

20. nick_s

nick_s
    from Ohio

Rams horn manifolds, 2" pipes and 56 GMC truck mufflers

21. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

i dont think you could have said it any better!!!and while im here,i would do 2"pipes with 24"glass packs or no packs at all you will definitly get some cackle.....but its all in what yer lookin for.

22. Long tubes & Cherry Bombs for that classic "RAP" sound

23. thank you!

24. Got 3" pipes into mufflers used on sprint cars. There loud and get more top end horse power.

25. plmczy

plmczy

Alright here goes my stupid question for tonight, What are echo cans? Anybody got a pic of them? While we are on the subject of exhaust systems, how small of a diameter pipe can you use without sacrificing performance? Thanks, later shawn

26. yankbuilt

yankbuilt

Just took my truck down the road for the first time .I have shorty headers two inch pipe to 18 or 19 inch cherry bombs, they have an awesome rap to them.I'm a quite guy and I really enjoy hearing them.

27. westcoastct

westcoastct
    from ca

Thanks fellas, man you got a lot of cool ideas thank you im gonna try the smithys.

28. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

always liked glasspacks

29. Lucky444

Lucky444

These two companies make steel packs that give a slightly more deep and throaty sound with the crackle. People at Brockmans are super nice and will custom make anything you want. Not sure if Brockmans are a HLAMB Vendor or not. I just found the Porter site. They also make steel packs and are a HAMB Vendor. Their site has some sound clips for you to sample.

http://www.brockmancustomparts.com/

http://www.portermufflers.com/

30. it's all a personal choice, but i HATE turbo/flowmaster or any of that kind. All my cars have glass packs, my girls '61 bel air has long 26" ones nice mellow sound, my '60 el camino has 16" ones that have blown out......i like the rap and growl. next i'm going to either try smithys or porters......but i do have some turbo tubes in the garage..........