Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this a badge or honor or just a really lame souvenir?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harrison, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Ego/status symbol... I had mine on my headlight for 5 years!

This whole hot rod hobby is ego driven with a complicated heirarchy in the multitude of sub cultures found within.

Nothing wrong with it... it is what it is.

But if you don't believe that... you're either blind, deaf and dumb... or lying to yourself.

Sam

2. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

3. banjorear

banjorear

Like this?

Attached Files:

4. HAHAHAHA Exactly!!:D

5. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

6. Wait a cotton picken minute! Several years back I said the same thing and you argued against that point Mr Strube!?:p:confused::D

As for the stickers, one or two are fine. When they become something more than a memento you have issues. :rolleyes:

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I guess I'm in the I don't get it group. Around here the folks who go to the syracuse nationals, leave their windshield stickers on for months after the show. Guess the T shirts, straw hats, and faux letter jackets they buy and wear at every car show aren't enough.

8. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

This is heading for the *delete* button.......

CB

9. Yeah - I'm guilty also- But you drive a roadster across the AZ/California desert(400 miles 1 way) and you'd want a badge of honor also, let alone the wind/sun burn!!!!!!
    My best "Badge of Honor" though was 2 years ago
    Drove my 3 window from here (Prescott AZ) up thru Farmingtom N.M. then up over Wolf Creek pass into Pueblo Colorado( 925 miles 1 way).
    The only spot I cleaned on the car was about a 6 " circle on the windsheild. The whole front of the car was completely covered in bug spatter.
    All weekend, people looked @ the car and kept sayin' Man, you know he drove that one here from AZ "
    Who shivs a git what anybody else thinks, as long as yer havin fun.
    :cool::cool::cool:

10. Wonder if Ryan could give me a sticker showing that I had a thread deleted?

I could stick it on my laptop.

JH

11. After a while you may not be able to see the screen;)

12. And that may B a good thing.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

13. Yeah but, if it proves to all the world that I had a thread locked down, it'll be worth it. :p

JH

14. Not me!

Go back and find it! I dare ya! :)

... but even if I did (political move here) cant' a guy GROW and CHANGE and be MORE ACCEPTING?

Is that not a good thing? (covering my ass)

Sam

15. ^^^^^^^^^^^hahahaahahhaa

16. ratster

ratster

maybe it just looks cool when the lights are on, reflecting off the inside of the trailer

17. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

The picture of the RPU featured in this thread does not get trailered anywhere.

18. mr.smith

mr.smith

lame souvenir,
    makes the car look cheap especially when he didnt take the time to put them on straight

19. I'm a little curious about one aspect of this discussion.

A fellow grows up dreaming about a deuce roadster and reading magazines with articles about the LA Roadster show. He spends 10+ years building a car and finally can take HIS roadster to the "big show".

It's 2500 miles out and 2500 miles back, he and his wife would like to enjoy the trip and spend some time sightseeing and not have to worry 24 hours a day about some souveneir hunter stealing something off the car he worked on for 10 years, not to mention perhaps stealing the whole car one night in a hotel parking lot.

He loads up in a trailer and drives truck and trailer out to be able to drive through the gate with a relatively intact car and lives his dream.

I've been to the LA Roadster show, but I flew to LA, drove a rental car, parked in the lot and walked through the gate. It was still a great experience!

I don't think there is any shame in not driving a roadster 5000 miles and hoping for good weather for 2 weeks continuous.

I also know that one of these "trailered to LA" cars was invited to be a participant INSIDE the building for the 75th anniversary show.

It truly is different strokes for different folks, why all the vitriol here?

20. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

I would down him for trailering his car that far.. Things break and shit happens.. by driving it that far your asking for a fucked up week. As far as the stickers... peel em off dude it looks tacky

21. bonesy

bonesy

I’ve got a good friend that has two sets of lenses for his roadster. One he uses only during the LAR Show, then it sits in one of his display cases the other 51 weeks of the year.

22. bonesy

bonesy

You get the sticker even if you park in the specialty (non-roadster) lot.

23. HotRodDaddy-O

HotRodDaddy-O

I drove my car to the L.A. Roadster show a couple years back.
    Had a good time, at the show and the drive.
    Peeled the sticker off the headlight when I got home.
    It never crossed my mind that leaving it there would actually impress someone.

24. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

It's like a pimple on a hemiroid.........you know it's there but you don't want to touch it.....ha ha ha ha!!!

25. HotRodDaddy-O

HotRodDaddy-O

How would you know?

:D

p.s. That's just fucking sick, man.

26. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Lance "wassup" how is you and the lovely Toni?????

27. outcasthb

outcasthb

I will also speak up for this car in question. I know the owner very well, he is a pinstriper by trade and is very respected. I do not think the car has ever seen a trailer and I know it has seen plenty of rain in So Cal.
    As for the LA Roadster sticker, I only have the 50th Anniversary one on my car as that was the first show that the car went to. Any one after that I take off once I get home. The 50th was unique and therefore it stays on the car.

28. THESNEAKYTIKI

THESNEAKYTIKI

I guess it is a badge of honor to some people. That is not bad and really is not any different than most stickers people put on thier cars. To some people these are symbols and they like the stickers because it gives them something to talk about at the next car show. You can't really knock em for it. It's what they want to do. Next time you go to the local drayway look for the guy with the most class winner stickers. It is important for him to show them off even if it covers half of his car. Might not be our cup of tea but they aren't really hurting anyone.

I know Goodguys events are judged and stickers are fixed to the headlights for cars that have been picked for awards. Rod and Custom stuck one on my headlight the year my 53 was picked for the Top Ten Award for 2005 at the Goodguys show in Az. It was cool. The sticker was about the size of a penny. I peeled it offsince the car was photgraphed the next day for a feature in their mag. I got a Goodguys award the next year and they did the sticker thing again. I guess some people think it is cool but I peeled the sticker off my car. Point is the sticker did not make the car any more righteous. Here is a cool pic of mine and Glens car Rick Amado took that day.

[​IMG]

29. Don't you guys remember last year,when I put those stickers on the front of my glasses and walked around inside the show? Some of those guys didn't think it was funny,LOL....

30. banjorear

banjorear

Show off!