Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage PHOTOS: BLACKIES Fresno Autorama and INDOOR SEASON Summary

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Mar 16, 2009.

1. KIRK!

KIRK!

I love cars and car shows. Each inspires the other. Until this past indoor season I'd never participated in an indoor show, and after one season, I'm over them. I have been very honored with kudos and awards at each show May Cause Dangerous has attended. The car helped Alex and his shop get their name out there even more and showcase their talent, so, mission accomplished.

There are lots of guys who thrive on indoor events, but I was frustrated and miserable more than anything else. This is not a rant against any of the promoters of these shows in any way, I am speaking to the very nature of indoor shows.

Each event starts with having to plan how the hell to get the car there. Driving would be great, but scratching it up before Alex got exposure was not an option. Many of the cars there will never be driven. What do you look forward to with a car like that? Once transport is figured out you still have to make the trip. Mine were relatively short, with Pomona being the furthest, only about six hours each way. You guys who drive thousands of mile to set up at these shows are nuts. Thanks for doing it so that there is a show, but you're still nuts.

Once you get there it's hurry up and wait. I don't care what spot the car goes in, but some of these guys really fret over it. I'm not a very patient person, so waiting around for a spot sucks. Driving into an outdoor event and just finding a spot has far more appeal to me.

OK, now you have finally been assigned a spot...begin the setup. Ours was pretty simple, just rock salt and some lights. Some of these guys have VERY elaborate displays. Between cleaning and setting up, it still took us about 4-5 hours at each show. Tedious! A constant reminder of why I have never cared to have a "nice" car. I can't even imagine the two full days of building and polishing some of these guys do.

So you're setup and all pretty, now you're trapped for DAYS! The first day of the show is fun for a few hours, until you've seen everything. Now what? Yeah, I have a lot of friends and colleagues to talk to, but by the fourth indoor show...

So somehow you've made it to Sunday. Sunday is about 60 hours long. Everyone just wants to leave, but you're trapped. I'm never the last guy at a party and I hate sitting around after dinner at a restaurant, so this part nearly fucking kills me. I want to GO! Luckily everyone is anxious to get out, so exit is far quicker than setup.

Maybe hanging around is more interesting if you care about awards. While I am very grateful for the awards that the Starliner won, I wasn't expecting them and would have been just as happy with the compliments people paid Alex and I for our hard work.

Anyway, like I said this is not a dig at any of the indoor promoters, it's just the nature of the indoor show beast and my opinion, but give me an outdoor drive-it-in show any day!

Blackies: There were definitely some funky things about the dynamics of the Fresno Autorama, and the response this first-timer got each time I asked a question about the workings was the same...

"Ha ha, that's just Blackie's."

The selection of "important" cars was phenomenal. I don't know if more past Ridler and AMBR winners have ever been in one place. The who's who factor was way up there too.

Damn! Just, damn! I'd trade all of my toys and maybe a finger or two for this car.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  2. KIRK!

KIRK!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the many special presentations made to Blackie to congratulate him on 50 successful shows.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

He was pretty surprised and stoked.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got a ton of signatures on my limited edition 50th plaque.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Me and Alex. [​IMG]

I think Alex took way more shots. Hopefully he'll post his too.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i194.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid194.photobucket.com/albums/z253/gambinokustoms/blackies 09/MVI_5558.flv">

3. awesome...thanks KIRK!...great post as always

4. I get the same feeling at indoor shows.

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Something about an indoor show..kind of like the prom or such nonsense, I guess. I tend to spend more time looking and appreciating than I do outdoors. It's more formal, so I guess the "stars" of the show are seemingly more elegant.

6. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Thanks KIRK for the coverage ...

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool pics, still think Blackie's black roadster is one of the most beautiful cars on the planet. Hope that you will be able to drive your car now. Still too nice to make into a go to work type ride. You are a big part of organized shows, so it is interesting to hear your views on indoor shows. I enjoy going and looking, and leaving most shows I go to. Have a very hard time just sitting and waiting for something to happen. If my car is not perfect and I am OK with it that is cool. I like to drive my ride, but do not feel like I have to drive thousands of miles to prove myself to be cool. Each to their own.

8. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

AMEN!
    Great post, thanks!

9. KIRK! ... Great post (I love the B&W pics) ... thanks for sharing ...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  10. Aww.. I missed this show. Saw the posters around town but totally forgot!

11. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Kirk...Great coverage...love the black and white!!!
    I hear Blackies is a pain in the ass to get in and especially out if your showing...
    but..its Blackies!

12. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on indoor shows too.

This year's Autorama was my first indoor show. I had no plans to ever show my car there until I heard about the Merc display and figured it would be full of custom enthusiasts this year, so it was a once in a lifetime thing.
    Glad I did it, it was fun, but man Thursday thru Sunday is a long, long weekend.
    After just a few hours, my mind just goes into overload and even the most fantastic cars just become a blur & then there is still 3 more days to go.

I am glad that there are so many guys that seem to live for this indoor thing, so that it gives me something to go and look at during the winter, but it aint really my thing - I like to just go for one day - have some beers, see a few good cars & friends and then it's back to my cave.

13. HotRodDaddy-O

HotRodDaddy-O

Wow, your commentary really hit-it-on-the-head.
    I used to do the indoor car shows, bikes then cars.
    When I sold my 3/w I told the buyer to take the damn trailer too,
    I won't be needing it anymore.
    Blackies is the last show I used it for (3 time participant, 3 different cars).

Not sure if it's the black'n'white or the lighting but, in my opinion, those are some of your best pics yet.

Thanks!

p.s. Blackie is still one of the coolest fuckers on the planet.

Lance

14. PhatCaddy

PhatCaddy

[​IMG]

Thanks for the shots KIRK! Any details on this one? Is it really a LaSalle?

brian

15. Great pics KIRK. Instead of a burnout maybe a little of May Cause Dangerous like this? To live up to the name? Nah really your car sets a benchmark for builders of today. Glad its not a Camaro.-Weeks
    [​IMG]

16. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

nice pics, dig the b/w action

17. rodncustom

rodncustom

Thanks for the pictures KIRK! The B/W theme is intersting. Now it's time to just drive it!

18. phukinartie

phukinartie

Great pics ! my feelings are the same on indoor shows blahhdee blah I know this guy blahdee blah I have 1 beeeleeon $$ in this car...Outdoor shows are like drive in
    grab a chair and a beer get some sun and if it sucks bail and go for a drive.....
    Is the Starliner gonna make a northwest tour?

19. KIRK!

KIRK!

'36 Ford

20. KIRK!

KIRK!

I'm hoping Puyallup.

21. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

You guys are a bunch of pussies! First indoor show I every participated in (1958) was at the old Electric Building in Balboa Park. Move in was on a Thursday and the San Diego Fire Department used pumps to remove all of the gas and then put a seal on the gas cap and another seal on the battery post after the cable was disconnected. The show went 10 DAYS!!!! When you finally got to move out, you got a couple of gallons of gas and hoped that there was enough juice in the battery to fire it up.

22. KIRK!

KIRK!

10 DAYS?!?!?

Fuck that!

23. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I understand the indoor thing. My first and last was at the Great Western Exibit Ctr
    I think it took place during the Winter Nationals back in the 60's. It was like a circus
    atmoshpere getting set up and all.
    I am also tired of the outdoor shows that won't let you leave when you want.
    and many thanks for the great pics.

24. KIRK!

KIRK!

Are there really some?

25. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

At least you were stuck in San Diego...

26. KIRK!

KIRK!

I wonder if my insurance will cover that?

27. I swore last year that I would never do another indoor show. Well guess what, I'm a sucker for punishment. World of wheels at Kansas City. My old truck was my only transportation and it was on the show floor. I stayed in a hotel across from the show and I'm here to tell you that it was a boring SOB. PERIOD!!! Each day got longer and by the time Sunday rolled around it was Like Kirk says it was about 40 hours long. I'm done. No more. Give me a deal that I can drive in and out when I choose or cruise when I want to.
    How's come that Starliner gets all the ink any way Kirk? It's almost like you own it or something, oh shit, you do own it. OOPS!
    Later,
    Dick

28. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

29. belair

belair

Sure do like those pics.

30. KIRK!

KIRK!

Where are yours?