Register now to get rid of these ads!

9 inch early bronco rearend ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirtbag13, Mar 16, 2009.

1. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i am in the process of upgrading my rpu to my abuse standards which means out with the 8 inch and in with a 9 ! i am interested in putting in a early bronco rearend or 57 ford rearend , both of which i have acess to ! i like the centered housing look of the bronco as it will be visible from behind on my truck ! ? is will this affect my drive line as the pinion will not be centered and the drive shaft would not be running a cv joint like a bronco ? would like some input early bronco is the housing i would like due to the centered section , or just go with 57 ford 9 ! thanks brock

2. your driveshaft running at an angle will be fine

the bolt pattern on the Bronco is 5-1/2" , is about 58" wide and will probably have 3.50:1 gears. the `57 rear has 4-1/2" bolt circle and is about 57-1/4" wide. i just thought you should know before you make your decision

3. Ghost28

Ghost28

I am puting a early bronco in my 28 chevy and it came with 411 open gears. I also had to have the back of the axles machined, and redrilled along with new brake drums redrilled to 4 1/2 inch pattern. Cost about $80.00 not counting new parts. As for the centering of the third member in relation to the drive line. It should not cause a problem. As long as your trans tunnel is wide enough...ghost

4. bigolds

bigolds

I put one in my 37 Chevy sedan.....never a problem with ujoints and the rear was actually a scootch to narrow for it!!! Used a 1/8' spacer on each side!! I would think it's just right for you!!!

I went through the redrill for bolt circle too!!! Small potatoes!!!

5. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

ya forgot to ask about re drilling the bolt pattern not a big deal then it sounds like ? thanks for the input ! not worried about the ratio , i have several 3rd members set up hence the reason i want to go to a 9 inch !

6. chumly2071

chumly2071

You might want to check the early bronco axle to see what year it is out of. It may be 28 spline and small bearing depending on the year.

7. clays diff

clays diff

if your bronco is a small bearing housing ? what i have done in the past for my customers to save them money i use the 8" axels and backing plates and shorten the bronco housing as needed 28 spline will gust fine in that lite truck with those tires if it is a big bearing housing this wont work i hope this helps

Clay >>>>>>>>>>>>>