Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any fellow HAMERS living on or near Route 66?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Diamond49, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Diamond49

Diamond49

We are planning a road trip from Chicago to Las Vegas for ViVA. After VIVA, we are going to continue our quest of driving Route 66 to Santa Monica.
    1lowtrk is driving his 51 Chevy pickup, and Tiger Mark & I are driving the 58 F 100.
    For peace of mind, I was wondering if there are any HAMBERS or Shops on the way? I would like to hear any suggestions , advice etc. on just about anything from salvage yards, to cant miss sites to see. Places to eat, or stay. Or Fellow HAMBERS to meet.
    Here's my itinerary.
    April 4, Sat- Chicago -Rolla, MO. Staying @ Zeno's onm Route 66
    April 5th -Sunday-Rolla, Mo. to Clinton, OK. (no hotel booked, so its not written in stone0. Any suggestions??
    April 6th- Monday. Clinton, MO-Tucumcari, NM Staying @ the Blue Swallow.
    April 7th -Tuesday. Tucumcari, Nm.-Holbrook ,AZ.Staying @ the Wigwam
    April 8th Wes. -Holbrook, AZ-Las Vegas, Nv. Have a room in Vegas, but can cancell if needed.
    April 9th-13th Vegas-VIVA Rockabilly Weekend.
    April 13- Monday -Vegas to Santa Monica, start return trip. Stay in Barstow or drive to Bull Head City, Nv.( have a friend in Bullhead).
    April 14- Tuesday really not clear , may turn South, and drive to Apache Junction, and reroute back North again to Route 66
    April 15-18th ??? Where ever the road takes us
    April 19- Sunday arrive back to Chicago.
    Looking forward from hearing from you. BTW, this is the F 100 Maiden voyage outside of the Chicago area. She was a 7 month builted , and just got on the road about 2 weeks ago.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  2. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

I live in Stillwater, ok. Lots of cool places all along 66 in OK. I am about 45 minutes from 66.

3. Okievoodoo

Okievoodoo

There are alot of cool places in Oklahoma on 66 and the 66 museum is of course in Clinton... I'll list some places in the next couple of days along 66 in OK...

4. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

Good choice on the Blue Swallow in Tucumcari...Totally restored to late 40's early 50's decor right down to the vintage 40lb dial phone in the room....Stayed there a few years ago...For places in Oklahoma try the Oklahoma Route 66 Association web site...In St Louis you gotta stop at Ted Drewes for a "concrete" frozen custard. Along the road in New Mexico and Arizona you'll see farms with dozens of old cars. (told my wife THAT is heaven). In Santa Rosa NM is the Route 66 Car Museum....Worth a stop.
    Do a Google or just a web search on Route 66 or add any of the states to that and you'll find a plethora of info including turn by turn directions to some of the off the beaten path alignments....You could really spend a couple of months on the road...And stop in Seligman AZ for an ice cream at the Sno Cap ...It's an experience you'll never forget....
    There is a Four Winds or something like that in Clinton...I believe it's a Best Western...Has the "Elvis Room". Yea...he stayed there.....

5. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

get a good recent guide book, some places will tell you the road ends when it really is there still. not on any official maps anymore since it's decommisioned. i traveled it about 15 years ago,followed it the whole way,well as much of it as possible. there are some areas you will have to detour around. i lived out of the car and motels for almost six months.

6. r8odecay

r8odecay

From Tucumcari, swing by Santa Rosa for a dip in the Blue Hole; I stop there everytime, winter or summer. If you need wrench work out that way, stay away from Bozo's garage in Santa Rosa though, just my personal experience.

7. bigds54

bigds54
    from Sun Valley

No matter where your travel takes you once your west of Vegas stop by any In N Out Burger! There is one in Vegas but just not nearly as glorious as the ones out of Vegas, the best fastfood/burger you will ever have! Just ask for a double double with some animal fries and a shake. (ps) cool thing, they got a little bible verse under each cup.
    www.in-n-out.com

8. Maybe but my vote will be for a "Green Chili Burger" from "Owl Cafe" in Albuquerque. ;)

any new news on the "Rock Cafe" in Stroud, OK?

9. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I'm about 2.5 miles south of I-80. Hey,.... I'm just saying. Stu

p.s. Enjoy the trip

10. RodStRace

RodStRace

I'm about 40 miles south of Ashfork, between Williams and Seligman. Too far for a detour, but if you need a hand.....
    There is a cool little place in Hackberry AZ with a bunch of old cars and a display garage. Good place to stretch and look.

11. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

I see your "Owl Cafe" in ALBQ and raise you breakfast at Joe and Aggie's Cafe in Holbrook AZ.

12. wrecker55

wrecker55

cool old private junk yard in Moraity NM. your side of ALBQ. always wanted to stop there, hear the guy will let you look

13. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Why yes, in beautiful Romeoville!
    Sounds like a great way to break in YOUR (that's what Mark said) new truck. Have a fun time.
    Bob

14. Deal! When do we roll out! :tasty:

;)

15. Ya should stay at the Munger Moss motel in Lebanon, just 60 miles further west of Rolla. It was there back in the day. (so was I). Good museum in the Lebanon Public Library between 66 (Elm St) and I-44 on Jefferson St. I wore that road out from Lebanon to Springfield back in the 50's. Good luck ..

16. monsterflake

monsterflake

gotta get ted drewes frozen custard in st louis. you will have to get off the interstate to follow the old rt anyway, ted's is a st louis and rt66 icon...

17. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

18. Big Khaunaa

Big Khaunaa

i'm in bullhead i'll pm you my number if you show up in town give me a call i also have 58 f-100

19. 2$ Bill

2$ Bill

Please take lots of pictures & make lots of posts! A daily entry on your progress would be of great interest to me. You are taking the trip I have wanted to take for the last 20 years! It was intrest in Route 66 that got me into old cars. I hope you have the trip of a life time!

20. monsterflake

monsterflake

exit i-44 at 290c, the old rt goes south on gravois, west on chippewa, which turns into watson road. this will eventually end at i-44, you'll need to get on anyway to cross the meramec river.

http://www.teddrewes.com/Drewes.asp

the easiest way to get back on the old route is the 6 flags exit (261). there's a nice little stretch there...

21. bigken

bigken

Make sure to leave some time once ya get into Texas. 15 miles across the state line: Shamrock Texas. Go south on 83 - 25 miles, to a little town called Wellington. Another Salvage joint, run by a guy here on the HAMB, 'Flat-Top-Bob'. Don't miss it.

22. dbradley

dbradley

I'm about a mile and a half N of 66, just west of Sapulpa OK. I have a fair sized shop (with lift, welding equip, etc) if you need it. I'll pm you with cell #.

23. dbradley

dbradley

Last time I was by there it was "still" closed from the fire. The owner has said on TV that it will be reopened. I haven't heard a schedule though. And, I'm with you on the "owl cafe".

24. Diamond49

Diamond49

I heard the the Rock Cafe should open in May 09. Going to miss it this year, we are driving through in early April. Thanks everyone so far with replying to my thread. Great ideas, and helpful resouces.

25. Waldoz

Waldoz

I live and work right off Old 66 in Missouri, I grew up in Rolla and most of my family still lives there, I'm just east in Bourbon and have a place in Cuba as well, pretty good BBQ joint in Cuba called MO Hick, sits right on 66. If your interested in meeting for some grub just let me know.

Monsterflake is right about Ted Drewes, it's great stuff. Pretty easy to find.

When you get into Rolla just before exit 189 you'll see a couple of lots selling old cars on the right(north), stop at Route 66 Motors if you get a chance, some neat old stuff in there and the guys pretty cool. Just don't go snoopin around when he's closed, he's got a rottweiler guarding the place during off hours, I've got a pair of jeans with a hole in the ass to prove it.

26. That old timer is a hoot.
    It's a must stop for 15 minutes --- He'll have ya there for hours if ya let him.
    Have a safe trip:cool:

27. Diamond49

Diamond49

Sure hope we make it pass I 80 without problems. Wont you be at breakfast that morning
    at Chuck's???

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  28. Diamond49

Diamond49

thanks, I will book mark that. Always time to roam a salvage yard.:)

29. hopefully you will be driving thru albuqueruque, new mexico during sun set that is the best time to drive thru the city. the sky is really beautiful with many many colors, and the mountains live up to there name sandias meaning watermelons(you will understand if you see them). you might want to stop by one of our many new mexican restaurants. gardunos is a good one, casa de benividez, garcias that is located on central(route 66), or one fo the many restaurants that are located in old town of of central and rio grande.
    tom

30. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

I live just a couple of streets off Rt. 66 in Springfield, Mo., but sadly there isn't much to see nostalgia-wise in the city limits. The smaller towns take advantage of the status more than us!