Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kansas City Metalwork seminar, who's going?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KCTA Chris, Feb 26, 2009.

1. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Jim's opened his door for us folks from the HAMB. Anyone going?

“PRACTICAL METALWORKING FOR THE ROD BUILDER”

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 28, 2009 9:00-3:30
    Guys - Jim Huseby of Speedsters has graciously offered to open his doors for a metal working demonstration to showcase

Jims work can be seen on everything from aircraft to national concorse show winners, he is known to us for beautiful model A speedster design and fabrication using full full body buck and english wheel. here is a chance to learn.

"The purpose of the seminar, as promised, is to reveal and demonstrate metalworking principles in practical applications, hopefully enabling you to solve some of your perplexing problems, streamline and learn techniques and technology, and meet crafty and ingenious people like yourself. If you have an unquenchable thirst for knowledge, you are welcome here. Everyone is welcome here except of course those who plan on being my business competition.

I have been in this profession full time since 1972 and part time since 1964, plowing back in a minimum of two hours per day, every day, of experimentation, practice, study, tool making, tool acquisition, design and planning. You cannot get 45 years of education and experience in one seminar, but I’ll try to give you the most valuable information I can."

The shop is located in outside Grain Valley in vintage barnlike surrounding, Lots to look at but please remember to be respectfull and proffesional. This a a first for the HAMB and would like to continue to do so.

Bring #4 or #5 gas welding lenses, face shield,#9-11 welding helmet. Folding chair, your own hammers and dollies, and pictures of your projects are optional. We’ll have lecture and demonstration in the morning, lunch at El Maguey, hands on and question-and-answer in the afternoon. If someone brings their favorite home made cookies or snacks to share in the morning, you might make more friends. We’ll start at 9:00. Be here on time or early if you can.

Hope to see you there!

RSVP and for directions: Jim Huseby/Speedsters Oak Grove, Mo. [email protected] 816.690.8464

Attached Files:

2. Racewriter

Racewriter

Wish I could - already made plans I can't break for Saturday. If he does it again, I'll be there - post it.

3. Abomination

Abomination

Wicked!

And ditto - I have plans already that Saturday. :(

Passed the word on, though.

~Jason

4. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

DAMN! I have plans! Maybe he'll open up again in a couple more weekends?
    I know I could learn alot from just a quick seminar. maybe break some bad habits.

5. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Anyone want to carpool from St. Louis area?

6. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hat's off to Jim for doing this but... just not enough notice for me to swing it.

7. Racewriter

Racewriter

I have a feeling that with a few weeks' notice, he could pack the place.

8. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Would a lowlife like myself be able to attend?

Jay

9. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

I would like to come,going to e-mail him right now.

10. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

What a great opportunity......but, I wish that I would have known about this a couple of weeks back.

Chris

11. I just got off the phone speakng with Jim. This is a great oppourtinity for anyone wanting to see a true craftsman. I was lucky to meet Jim a couple of years ago and I know I bored him to death with my many questions.

Look forward to seeing everyone on Saturday.

12. I'd love to attend this also, but I'm doing the car show Sat. morning & will be welding together forklift platforms Sat. afternoon & evening. Carl Hagan

13. Abomination

Abomination

Maybe if he decides to do this later on this spring, before it gets too hot, we could turn it into a HAMB-B-Q afterwards... just an idea. ;)

~Jason

14. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Chris, your killin me with the short notice.This is something that I am really interested in. I am gonna see if I can change our plans this weekend. I,ll let you know..

Jeff

15. Bill H.

Bill H.

Email (R.S.V.P.) sent.

Will be there if welcome.

BH

16. Made it back home from Jim's. Had a great time. Got to put some faces with some names.

Jim has a very neat shop full of some very cool tools, projects and car parts.

Learned about a tool I got in a box of junk years ago and never did anything with. It's a slapper I thought someone had made out of a old file. Appearantly they were actually a factory made slapper.
    Jim had 3 or 4 of them and gave us a lesson on how to use it. Now I have to dig it out and clean it up and try it out.

The suprise snow didn't slow our fun down nor our appetites.:D

Thanks for a great time.

17. Bill H.

Bill H.

WHat a great Time!

Keith, sure glad you stepped up and asked the validity of that slapper,and hammer set. I was about to, but you were on the ball.

Jim was very Knowledgeable and showed a few things I thought I will be doing tomorrow. Never seen tuck shrinking done quite that way before. Learned a few gas welding tricks, and had a great time.

I could see Jims, Eyes light up when Johnny showed the method of stump shrinking we learned on Metal meet.

I was kind of volunteered to have a little meet at my place also in April, so Ill have to get ready for that one too. I think I might try to make it a little more hands on so others could jump in and bang a little metal.

I dont have lots of shaping tools, but will build a new wheel for Johnny and then we will have 3 there to use.

None the less, got to meet some cool local guys, that are into some of the same things, and good times were had by all.

Thanks again Jim, for the open invitation.

Bill Heineken

18. Abomination

Abomination

How many people showed up? Just curious...

~Jason

19. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

I think there was 12 of us there.

Jim thanks again for a great day learned a ton and I can't wait to do it again.

I love working with metal finishers,when you think it's close enough for body filler they are just getting started.He takes it until it's ready for primer.I have a lot of respect for that.

Met some great new friends as well.

20. chucklz

chucklz
    from KC

I will try to post some pics. It was a pleasure to meet everyone there.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  21. chucklz

chucklz
    from KC

Fender patch in an early 30 Model A front fender. He made it look easy!

Attached Files:

22. chucklz

chucklz
    from KC

recommended reading

Attached Files:

23. Bill H.

Bill H.

once again,

Thank Jim for having us all out.

Also for all interested on the subject.

Here is a little bump for my buddy Johnny's new site for ALL METAL SHAPING!
    http://allmetalshaping.forumsdot.com/ucp.php?i=168

We are both pretty new to the Good quality metal work. Trying to ban all bondo, and KILL all rust!

"SHAPING"...... Thinking outside the box!

BH

24. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

And here I am, reading about it two weeks too late. I'm so busy I don't get to check every day, and so many messages that things sometimes get buried in a few hours. Maybe next time I'll get lucky and hear about it.