Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 chevy business cpe v8 swap questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by InsaneEmpire909, Mar 14, 2009.

1. InsaneEmpire909

InsaneEmpire909
    from 909

hey guys, I took everyones advice and went with the walton mounts. I now need to see if anyone knows what ex manifolds I need to use to clear all my stock steering? The motor I am using is out of a 71 el camino (350) I would much rather run manifolds vs headers but if i must does anyone have part numbers or anything else that could help me find the correct fitting one?

2. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  3. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

I suggest changing steering

4. FatDaddy53

FatDaddy53

pass side u can use a ram horn... drivers ur lookin for mid 70's camero/chevelle ones. some of the 80's trucks too have a nice one that works out nice.. ull have to grind down ur steering pitman arm a lil tho for clearance

5. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

i think changing the steering

6. I used a early 70's chevy pickup rams-horn with the swept-back exit...had to grind a little on the pitman arm and a little on the manifold flange and even then there was a tad bit of contact on hard left turns.....I'd go with different steering if I was to do it again. My setup worked but it wasn't perfect.

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Passenger side is easy. driver side you want a rear exit, stright down. some 80s 4x4 trucks or caprice/camaro with 305 should be just right. I can measure for you if you have any questions, mine cleared the stock steering. minor trimming of the firewall ribs is necessary I used Chassis Engineering brackets.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324561

I recomend upgrading your front brakes, though. Its easier than fixing crunched sheetmetal brcause you can't stop when a civic brake checks you.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104366

8. Kurt

Kurt

Fenderwell headers work nice

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The old 265 end dump, over the plug, log manifolds, is what was used years ago. Now, some of the fuel injection, new camaros, use an exhast manifold that almost looks like the old MOPAR performance maqnifolds. Those fit and work as well, although some cutting of the firewall supports is needed. Go over to ChevyTalk.Org to the 49-54 forum, at lot of info AND photos there. Butch/56sedandelivery.