Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's see some sheet metal shaping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jhnarial, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Customikes

Customikes
    from SoCal

Wow. The work/ art/ talent on this thread is awesome.

Thanks for sharing,

Mike

www.Customikes.com

2. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

This was fun - call it free style metal shapin

Attached Files:

BigOr likes this.
  3. woody2

woody2

Wow without a doubt the coolest thread ever.
    For once in my life Im speachless.
    This is the best form of art there is. Keep those posts comming.

4. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Wish I had 1% of the talents you guys got,could watch this stuff all day ;)

5. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

[​IMG]

Very interesting english wheel. Do you have any more pictures of it? Did you make it?

6. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

Hey Shane,

Thanks for the comps - I have made almost all of my metal crafting tools - but I use Hooser Patern Upper & lower wheels on most of my machines.

Here's a few more pics.

RMP

Attached Files:

7. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

8. woody2

woody2

Rick, Ive had a look at some of your threads at Metalsapers Association over the years, Just one question where the hell do you get the time to build all that stuff ???
    Dont you ever Sleep ???
    You my freind are amazing, Keep up the good work.

9. very nice. tig welding will definitely take some of that grinding time away, but flawless fender.

10. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Rich, you are my hero! Nice tools!

11. Ditto. I think I just found the pattern for my first wheel :D
    Wow.

12. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

Thanks guy's

Woody - Ive been doin this for close to 30 years - lots of 16 hour days - lots of 7 day weeks - & I love it.

The deep reach E wheel frame's are GREAT for getting farther into a shape - I made it for getting into area's ( after ) they have been welded - but the more I use it, the more way's I find to use it.

13. Making progress on my aluminum bodied roadster:
    DeclkidB3.jpg

14. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Wow!

Nice work!

15. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

Rich your helmet and tools are insane.

Kerry your car is looking great!

16. Bill H.

Bill H.

DITTO on what Johnny said.

One of these days..... Patients grasshopper.......

BH

17. Bill H.

Bill H.

Tell us more about this shot Shane.

How many pieces is it, and do you know about the processes done in it? Was the cntr welded in after hydraulic forming the main body, or? Who did it?

Interesting concept

BH

18. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

It looks like the center section of a spare-tire cover that has rusted in an interesting way. :)

19. 54metalman

54metalman

Nice Job JH!!!!! I love the fact that your not like alot of metal gods that I know. Their shit dont stink put they sure as hell say that everyone elses does. Keep it up. I have been doing this stuff for over 25 years and I would be hard pressed to do the same quality you did on the fender!!!! Nice stuff man. Keep practising with the tig. Onces I got the hang of mine, I only use the mig for quick tacks. You will spend about an 1/8 of the time grinding with the tig. A metal forming post is a must. We are all a bunch of closet formers. Knowledge is power. Power to the people.

20. Can any of you recommend any Metal Shaping Websites for those of us wanting to learn more, or how to find out about up coming classes that we could attend? Thanks, and you guys are GREAT at this. Michael

21. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

Thank you for the kind words 54 metal man.

If it wasn't for people taken the time out to teach me it would have never been possible.I try and really listen when someone that has years of experience is teaching me.Then I take what I was taught and try it for myself.With out trying it for yourself and making a lot of scrap(you should see my scrap bin:rolleyes:)you won't learn anything.

I am just trying to give back what has been given to me.

BigO

Here are a few links.

First I would like to say,I have picked up a lot of good advice here on H.A.M.B.
    http://www.metalmeet.com/
    http://allshops.org/

I just started a small forum

http://allmetalshaping.forumsdot.com/

The more I talk about it the more information I find.

You will learn more from a mistake then you will from your success.

22. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I don't have too much info on this one. I am a member Metalart.com and this one popped up one day as I was logging in. I think it is very nice metal shaping. A true artist.

23. beater32

beater32

Nothing to earth shattering,but at least it'll bump this thread!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. not to much hammering on this, but it started out as a flat sheet.
    now its body trim for a 31 ply coupe.
    John's Picture Folders 022.jpg

John's Picture Folders 021 (2).jpg

25. Dyce

Dyce

I posted this on the metal fabricators group hoping it would get the group going and others would post but it didn't work.

Well I have 2 peices made. The first is the front section. The guy who owns the fenders bought the front peices, but they were sad. I made one instead. First here are the tools I made to do the bead.
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I also made a few post dollys. The fender beads were the same or similar for quit a few years, so I am sure they will be used again.
    I started out bending and stretching the bead. There is alot of shrink that goes into the corner, plus the stretch is needed to get the shape.
    [​IMG]
    Then I started it around with the vice grip.
    [​IMG]
    Once I had it started I used the hammer to work the shape in. The corner I did some stretching to get it started. It would be very hard to do it without the stretch. Shrinking the edge just isn't enough without cutting and getting rid of extra metal.
    [​IMG]
    Then I wheeled some shape into it. It has the small reverse curve where it meets the running board. I stretched the outside edge over this cone I made with a truck spindle.
    [​IMG]
    And I did some stretching inside the panel above the inside curve. And to take it a little farther I did a little heat shrinking.
    [​IMG]
    I am making peices at this point because I don't have the car available. I want to bolt the fender to the body before I weld it all in place.

The second peice is the rear section. I started off making a tape pattern. In the end I made two. I made one that wraps around the bead, and a second that covers the flat up to the bead. The first one is valuable because it tells you how much shrink and stretch you need in the area around the bead. The second I use to mark the panel to make the final cut before I run the bead.
    [​IMG]
    This is my arm saver. I use this to put stretch in the center. It really dosn't bother me to stretch more then shrink. I have it in my head that when ford stamped out the original fender it was mostly stretched into shape, right?
    [​IMG]
    Here it is roughed out.
    [​IMG]
    After wheeling and the edge started around.
    [​IMG]
    Stretching the edge a little more.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a shot of the edge done up to the corner. I use the torch to shrink the edge and close the corner.
    [​IMG]
    I also had to do a little heat shrinking in the center.
    [​IMG]
    I use a rubber top wheel to form the curve on the top. It dosn't stretch like the hard wheels. It just bends the metal around the lower anvil.
    [​IMG]
    This is what I ended up with. It fits the pattern great and the form is good enough to start welding in place.
    [​IMG]
    Still needs a little tweeking to be perfect, but it will anyway after I weld the whole thing together.
    Jeff
    More pictures here http://s592.photobucket.com/albums/t...der/?start=all

eelram likes this.
  26. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Lookin good Dyce

27. Flea

Flea

Looks good dyce. I have a fender that needs the rolled edge repaired, and I was wondering how to go about forming the roll. The modified vice grips look like they will do the trick.

28. ...you guys are just unbelievable!

29. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

need more pics......me hungry :)