Register now to get rid of these ads!

which tow/work vechile?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chappys4life, Mar 13, 2009.

1. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

After driving my 53 f100 on the highway I realize I never want to tow with it. So I have been looking for a backup truck/driver that can tow and in case my truck breaks.

I am debating a 73 f100 with a 390 or a 82 c10 with a 305 (would swap a 350)

I know both are not jj friendly but was hoping for some advice since I am tied on which one to get and they are both the same price. Also I do know where a 65 f100 shell that needs a drive train for cheap so the 73 could end up as a donor.

2. Ole don

Ole don

You didnt say what you will be towing. For towing, you need a rather long wheelbase for stability, big tires to stop it, and goobs of torque to make it move.

3. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

Well more if i through stuff in the bed or if I need to pickup a vechile and I use a 2 axle car trailer. Would not be a full time tow rig just if I picked up a vehicle (rare)

4. Big Khaunaa

Big Khaunaa

does the 73 have disk brakes if so it depends if your a ford guy or a chevy guy

5. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

The 73 does. I am not really a chevy or ford guy thats why its a hard decision

6. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Out of curiosity what makes the 53 so bad to tow with?? I reecently started to upgrade my '47 for light tow duty - so far I added 11-1/2" rotors w/power disc brakes, 9" posi in the rear - BIG V-8 and auto trans (well that was in there when I bought it) other than rebuilding the trans and adding a modern steering box - I am on my way. So I have to wonder ....... why not upgrade your '53????

7. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

I want to keep the flathead. Not sure if I want to do ifs either. Also the 53 is the only vehicle I have right now so couldn't take it off the road.

8. metalman

metalman

I'm kinda partial but I'd have to do the 73 Ford. I had one for over 20 years with a 390, it towed stuff all over the country, I finally let it go with 670,000 miles on it.

9. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

What are you going to tow? I like a bigger motor for towing and would probably choose the 390 over the 350 just for that reason. But I'm a Chevy guy so it would be hard... I usually consider the parts car potential before I buy anything.

10. 71 and 72 Chevy trucks have disks and can be had with 402 big blocks. Good trucks and a bit of collectible value down the road if you ever wanna sell. The 82 C10 will be a good truck but not worth much down the road.

Ive only had one Ford truck, a 78 3/4 ton with a 460. All I can say is it was a great work horse.

11. Slonaker

Slonaker

I have an '86 C10. The value on these trucks is starting to go up, but parts for them are still dirt cheap, at least around here. There are so many options for engines, suspension, etc. that they are hard to beat. Don't forget, too, that the parts are largely interchangeable from '73-'87 on the 1/2 tons and up to '91 (I think...) on the 3/4 and one tons.

Slonaker

12. Customs&Color

Customs&Color

When I was growing up I was always told if you want a truck to ride around in get a Chevrolet, if you want a truck to use like a truck get a Ford:D

13. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

I am a Ford guy. I bought 68 3/4 F250 last year to tow sons Race 68 cougar,( I have 93 F350) for the cool factor and I love the old Ford trucks. The first thing I did was bring back my 428 and C6 from Upullit yard with tools and wagon. By the time I got home I was wishing it had power disc brakes instead of manual drums. I am 6 2 325 and it kicked my ass. I will be converting to disc brakes this summer before towing. F100 and C10 are only ok for occasional towing. They are more like a car with pick up bed. IMHO

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  14. New Old Fart

New Old Fart

Having towed more miles than a lot of you have even driven , I would suggest nothing lighter than a 3/4 ton if you are going to tow any car. And make sure that you have good working trailer brakes !!

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I towed cars all over hell and back with a stock 1965 Ford F-100 shortbox stepside pickup with a 300 CID inline six and a 3-speed stick and a ball in the dealer tagged steel bumper. On dolleys, on towbars, on 2axle trailers with brakes and no suspension, and those heaven sent 2 axle trailer WITH brakes and suspension.
    Never had a problem, power-wise, handling-wise or otherwise.

16. prime mover

prime mover

I would also suggest a 3/4 ton over a half but I've occasionally with a half ton, as long as it has disc brakes. If I had to choose between those two it would be the ford, they are just more reliable and more parts available.