Register now to get rid of these ads!

New guy in Indaianapolis

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by AlphaSig112, Mar 12, 2009.

1. AlphaSig112

AlphaSig112

Hi all, I'm pretty new to this kind of thing. So here goes. I typically build trucks and other offroad toys but I'm 22 compulsive and I found a 1964 A-12 Checker Marathon sitting in a junkyard rusting into the ground that I couldn't help but fall in love with. It's all original and if I had a key I think it may run. It has either a 305 or a 350 V8 and a three on the tree transmission. I can't get into the trunk to see the condition of the floor in there but the rest of the floor is pretty well intact and other than the hood being pretty much rusted away there is nothing I can't fix or replace with fiberglass, which is the plan. I am putting a supercharged 454 in it and building it to be a gasser. Just thought I could get some ideas by running through what everyone else has done and asking questions before I do soemthing stupid. Anyway that's what I'm planing.

2. Lucky667

Lucky667
    from TX

AlphaSig112, Hello & Welcome to the HAMB from South Texas.

Lucky667

3. Number98

Number98

Go Colts...and....Welcome from another new guy in Georgia :D

Attached Files:

4. Jettback50

Jettback50

Check on the Checker. Plenty of room in the back! Welcome from Wash.

5. de-fenders

de-fenders

welcome to the HAMB from your Buckeye neighbor!!

6. axe grinder

axe grinder

Welcome Aboard!!

7. Seamus_McBastard

Seamus_McBastard

welcome from another newb hoosier

8. rat29

rat29
    from California

9. Dear Indianapolis,
    I am a Checkerhead too and I love the iodea of making the A12 into a gasser.

You should check out the Checker Car Club of America website at www.checkertaxistand.com - there is a lot of good info/advice there, including things to know before "Buying Your First Checker".

The rust worm strikes in characteristic spots, and you can get a sense of how much work your prospective car will be in a few minutes.

There are always some rustfree cars for sale in the southwest. I know it is always a tradeoff between price and features - you have to shave your clams for the big block!

-Chris
    Calgary
    Checkers: '66 A12W (wagon, show car/resto/rod), '66 A12W (basket case with prospects), '68A12 (sedan and current love interest)

10. T. Scott

T. Scott

Welcome from So. Cal.... again lol

11. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

Welcome, fellow hoosier. Would love to see some additional pics of your car.

12. farmer12

farmer12

Welcome from the Netherlands!

13. Bryan & Sarah

Bryan & Sarah

Welcome to the HAMB from Western Illinois!! Sounds like you've got some pretty good ideas already. Let the thread search function on the main board be your friend...I'm sure there's already some great information for you on it. Bryan & Sarah