Register now to get rid of these ads!

Widened model a`s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotroddaddy, Mar 14, 2009.

1. hotroddaddy

hotroddaddy
    from jax, fla

I tried the search function, but maybe i could not get the right title.

Has anyone ever seen or done a widened model a? Im thinking about adding 4-6" to the width, but not sure how funny it might look. I think i will like the wider look to it. Any thoughts?

2. rick finch

rick finch

WHY????????????:confused:

3. hotroddaddy

hotroddaddy
    from jax, fla

Cause i like a little elbow room.

4. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Then buy a bigger car. It would look just plain wrong.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

6. Chad s

Chad s

There is one around here, on a corvette chassis, its a POS rat rod. It looks like crap. But being the owner of the Haloween Merc, you may be into it.

7. Have a friend with a widened A sedan. Like the say, just because you candon't mean you should.

8. toxictom

toxictom

go on a diet, then you have more room...

9. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I agree 100%. There's no way to accurately "scale" the car bigger. There's a '32 truck around here that the owner widened 6" and it looks terrible.

10. hotroddaddy

hotroddaddy
    from jax, fla

11. hotroddaddy

hotroddaddy
    from jax, fla

Well where`s the pic? If your gonna try to degrade me atleast give me something to look at.:D

12. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

There is one in the Houston area that was widened 6". I personally don't like the way it looks. Kind of throws it out of preportion. The picture of the truck looks really well executed and I do like it. I have no pictures of the car. It is un-chopped also.

13. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Why not build a Dodge or other larger bodied car ?

I had a 1919 Dodge Roadster body and the room inside made my '27 Ford Roadster body tiny.

Look into Late '20s early '30s Mopar Bodys.

If you left it a High boy, I bet you could stack at least 4 Skulls in the grill shell !

14. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

That truck really works and I like it. I suspect that's because it's a truck, and because it has a bed.

I saw a widened '30 tudor this summer, and it looked really gay. It was flat black with late corvette wheels and suspension so it had a Flat Black Street Rod vibe going which didn't help, but it just looked all wrong, sort of the way a kit car street rod looks wrong. It was fenderless, with the wheels tucked under the body halfway, and the workmanship was nice, but it gagged me enough that I didn't even take a photo. And it was entered in a Traditional Rod/Jalopy contest.

15. ... for more skulls???...:D

16. nice truck. works for me.

17. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

I saw a sedan at the street rod nationals in Louisville Ky last year that had been widened about 6 inches, I thought it looked like crap. My opinion for what its worth.It looked out of proportion.

18. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Isn't that what the window is for?

19. To be honest the truck at the round up looked good,,,but I have seen a model A sedan that looked like crap,,,and a 32 5-window on a vet chassis that look even worse,,,HRP

20. manyolcars

manyolcars

haha, You got that Right.
    My 2 sons grew up in my 39 Ford pickup driven every day for 16 years.
    We ALWAYS rolled the windows down, first thing when we got in, no matter what the weather.

21. hvychvy

hvychvy

I have seen this truck a few times,and if this is the one you guys are saying looks terrible,your crazy:)That thing is killer.He did an amazing job.

Attached Files:

22. I widened mine 3 inches. I wasn't starting with much so it wasn't a lot of work. The bit of extra room is nice. Here is an old picture

[​IMG]

23. This might be worth a shot, ask the photo shop guys for some help.

There is a long going photoshop thread, or start another. Some of those guys are amazing. Take a look, those guys are stretching, chopping, moving, radius-ing, sectioning, channeling. Have them work with, and keep the proportions. Have a look at what Gigantor did for me when I asked if someone could "make a pic a bit more hamb friendly":)

If all you do, and the only thing you did was add some to the middle and "thats all you did", it will most likely look out of wack. (should I say "if thats all you do" again:eek:)
    Anybody who thinks that truck is "off" must be looking for, looking at, or expecting to see something different within. It's a great looking custom!

Attached Files:

24. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

widen it, channel it, flip it upside down, and mount it back wards if you like.
    Don't let people who don't drive your car talk you out of building what you want.

Some people just don't have imagination

25. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I think its all in the exicution and proportions..if you have a good eye for it and the skill to pull it off and make it look like it belonged that way..you will have a nice turn out..

I also think that the change in width cant be the only thing you do..proportions have to flow somewhat..the right chop and other factors should play a role..again Just my 2 cents

26. olskool34

olskool34

Alot of people on here always say "start with another car then". Obviously you have what you have and cant just go down the street and drop more cash on a 1930's dodge, good luck finding one anyway. STICK to your guns and build it the way you think it should be. Does is really matter what it looks like to someone else if you think it looks good? I think it anything outside the box is good. Build it your way!

27. NCrod

NCrod

Dayummm called the fug out!! :eek: hahaha

28. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Yep, that be the one. Hope to get to see it in person some day.

Funny reaction to this question, me thinks. Why is it then that you can channel a car to the ground, chop the top to within a inch of any daylight, section the middle a little, add parts from other cars, etc. etc. and not destroy it's proportions? But you can't widen it a little without totally screwing it up? Duh. Gary

29. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Threads like this make me sad.

30. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I don't know for sure if it is a good idea or a bad one.

I would agree that some could pull it off and some probably cannot.

I think the stark contrast between the rat contraption and that gorgeous black truck pretty much tell the ENTIRE story...