Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painting A Powder Coated Part

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by haroldd1963, Mar 13, 2009.

1. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

This may be a stupid question..but I'm going to ask it anyway.
    Can a part that has been recently powder coated have paint applied on top of the powder coat?

We had the wheels, brake drums, and backing plates for my father's 31 roadster powder coated recently. The brake drums and backing plates match the off white color of the car great. The color we chose for the wheels, which were originaly painted a kind of faded redish-orange color, does not match up well with the rest of the parts and trim on the car. Mainly the engine which we just rebuilt and painted and is in the car. The powder coat color was a stock color that we took a chance on closely matching - but it didn't.

Since the wheels have center caps and trim rings, the only part of them that is visible is a small part between the caps and the rings and the inner lip of the wheels. I was planning on painting the wheels to match the rest of the car if it is possible.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

scuff and paint, not all that big of a deal in my opinion

3. New Old Fart

New Old Fart

I agree, plus the powder coat is better than primer.

4. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

I've done it with no problem.

5. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Thanks guys! My thoughts exactly. But the powder coater we used said not to do it.

6. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Maybe he just wants you to pay him for the re-do.

7. speedyshark

speedyshark

The biggest thing is to make sure you scuff the powder coat really well. You can remove the powder coat from the rims real ease if you want to go that rout.

8. Jonesey

Jonesey

I've sanded and painted the powdercoated parts on my jeep with no problems whatsoever. They had started chalking really bad. Just sanded em and rattle caned em. Look like new.

9. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

Scuff paint no problem just make sure it's been longer than 24 hrs to allow the powder to finish curing
    try to use a similar chemistry product, polyester base paint

10. Docco

Docco
    from Ippy

Did the powdercoater give a reason why you shouldn't?

11. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

I always blow a mist coat of epoxy primer/sealer after scuffing just in case. I have had powder coated rims and suspension parts do funny things on ridges and anywhere it was broken through. Probably overkill depending on what you are putting over it. Just my 3cents.

Jon

12. Chaoticcustoms

Chaoticcustoms

if its a solid color, clean them, redscotchbrite and go to town man.

13. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I've painted over powdercoat several times very successfully . I just had my roadster frame coated with their epoxy primer powder , sanded it with 320, sprayed sealer ,basecoat ,clear ,,colorsand and rubout. looks great with no shrinkage or die-back . do'nt worry go for it !!

14. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Would I be able to use lacquer or enamel paint when spraying the color coat?

15. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

i do the same ...i found that paint seems to chip off powder coat real easy ...