Register now to get rid of these ads!

another Pay it forward thread! (kansas city Guys/gals)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill H., Mar 9, 2009.

1. Bill H.

Bill H.

Ok,

Heres what I got to offer,and what I seek.

I have a full fabrication (art shop) 3000 sf on 6 acres. I want to offer my shop as a place to hangout, make stuff, and learn more about these old rides as far as mechanical knowhow.

I have an english wheel (learning), planish hammers, four punch presses (we could make dies for specialty parts) I have diesinking panto mills, two small mills, small lathe, trying to set my 10x10 plasma back up with 3/4" cap. 8'brake, 4' box/pan brake, assortment of hammers, sand bags, stumps, p-9 power hammer, 50ton iron worker, mig, tig, stick , fish-mouth tube notcher and on and on etc.

Im not an idiot, no mater what this sounds like, just never was given the chance.I am currently looking for a cool/rare truck for my misses to build as a Driver. I am a mechanics nightmare and honestly have no clue, but am very interested in these old trucks.

Anyone interested, I will not charge for shop time, if your safe. Might ask for donation for energy consumption, and consumables.;)

Im just looking for a few good people willing to share time, learn, and help learn.

What I want to do, is find an old truck that will have that special big fender look. Tear it down and build it as a driver, so I can get the misses out of the subaru and into something fun to drive. I want to learn, share time and learn some more.

Im going to find a group here that are local, that I might be able to hang with, and help (what I can).

So what do you all think?

P.s. my biggest draw back is that I have a prosthetic leg and have serious pain, from time to time. Im not sure where this might go, but lets C.

Bill Heineken

2. raven

raven

I'd be up to help out.
    PM sent.
    r

3. Bill, that is a GRRRREAT !!! Idea and a generous offer.

I hope some folks take you up on it & it takes off for you.
    Very rare that one person alone has all the resourses, skill, talent, knowledge, physical ability, equipment to do everything.

A collective group who can pool the mentioned items could be great team and produce some amazing results.

I wish I was closer

4. Bill H.

Bill H.

Thanks,

Sent message. Tried calling but got machine.

Just a note! Its not all about me by far. I just want to learn. Love these old trucks!

My shop is available, but would like to have a few at a time, more than just one on one time. If we are not working, and just hanging out talking about cars, trucks etc. I BUY THE BEER. IF we meet at your place. YOu buy the beer. LOL

I just want to get involved, help, learn and have a great time. If you got a place and are semi local and want/need help. I am able. It might take a time or two on new things, but I work for and by myself, so I have the time. Nothing going on at the moment. Just working on getting shop and property back together. THIS IS GOING TO BE A GREAT SUMMER!

Bill

Thanks,

5. raven

raven

Cell is dead, I'll call you tonight.
    r

6. Bill H.

Bill H.

Just so everyone does not think I am Full of SHITE. I will take pics later today and post.

Not a gloater, nor a user. I have one friend on here that you may know. Johnny Arial. We meet less now than we were, but he and I are both learning metal shaping and have worked together and had such great times. Must say one of my best friends.

I went to a metal working seminar here in Oak Grove. It was a blast. Learned a few new tricks, and Johnny and I showed a few new tricks to a few there also. Thats what I seek.

I have primarilly been a vw guy, but know how well that goes over on here, so I wont go into it.

Lets all learn together.

I am a member on Metal meet also. Some of you are members over there. They have many annual Meets where guys from all over come to learn, teach, work,a nd have a great time. Im willing to do that with small crowds.

Just ask for respect of tools, property and time.

Bill

7. raven

raven

"I went to a metal working seminar here in Oak Grove. "

So you know Jim Husby, too?
    r

8. Bill H.

Bill H.

Just met Jim. Where you there last Sat?

9. raven

raven

No. I didn't know he was having a workshop last Saturday or I would have been there.
    I talked to him last fall about having a workshop, but haven't called recently.
    I guess I now know how I rate...
    r

10. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I've got a lead on lots of old trucks, parts, etc. What are you looking for in general? 30s 40s or 50s?

11. Bill H.

Bill H.

Federal, white, chevy, ford, and especially Diamond T.

I want a builder, with big ole fenders. Rare sounds good. Going to look at 48 diamond, 36 chevy 2 ton and 40? federal tomorrow.

Trying to stay in the 500-1500 range or less. I want to learn to build a frame, will build fenders if needed, but will need one to start with to make patterns.

Im pretty interested in 49, 50, 51 shoeboxes, and mercs too, but the misses wants a truck, so that is my desire at the moment.

LEt me know whats available.

My email is abheinekendesignATaol.com Just replace the AT with an @.

Thanks,

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

bummer..wish you were closer

13. Bill H.

Bill H.

I was asked to post a picture of my car.

So here it is. Its not a rod or any cool HAMB material, but it is what I wanted to build as a company delivery a while back.

Still not finished, but getting there.

its a 69 vw squareback. I know, I know.
    [​IMG]

None the less I have to get back to it.

See you in the shop.

14. Mattilac

Mattilac

Boy if only I were closer. What a great opportunity! Good luck! :eek::)

15. wow i'd love to see your shop and help out when i can
    i'll send you a pm in a bit as i'm occupied by 2mo. old at this moment

16. chucklz

chucklz
    from KC

Count me in. It was amazing to see what they do.

17. Bill H.

Bill H.

Inspiration for my wifes truck. These are some trucks I really like.
    [​IMG]

This is a little more common that I desire, but still like the look.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just love this Diamond T[​IMG]

I would have to have the original style fenders on the front of this, but love the whole look too. Not really fancy on the wood tail end but COOL none the less.
    [​IMG]

This is my daily driver, NOT A ROD< OR A CLASSIC, just big ford power. It may get sold later for a build project I want to do..... It is out of line, but if I were to find the truck I want the most, I would probably look at a cab swap, but that is wayyyyy down the road.

[​IMG]

Im still learning.

Bill

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  18. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

I hang out with Bill as much as possible.I learn something every time we get together.

It's really cool to learn some of his artist stuff and inc. into cars.After seeing his patinas on copper I decided to go with a all copper engine apartment with a cool patina on it.

You know I'm going to be there Bill.

19. KCCOS

KCCOS
    from KC

20. Jettback50

Jettback50

This is exactly the kind of thing I have been looking for in my area. I hope this goes well for you and I would love to stop in and help out for a few hours if I get to your neck of the woods.

Anybody else like this idea for Western Wash?

21. Gerg

Gerg

wow this is super generous i wish i was closer

22. better watch out bill.
    the next thing you'll have is 123 people at the shop pulling you in all different directions.

seriously bill what a great opportunity to teach and learn something

johnny

23. Bill H.

Bill H.

I hear you Uncle Johnny.

Johnny Arial,
    I cant wait to work with you on that one. Im thinking all copper fuel lines, brass fittings the works.

Im a Generally trusting guy, dont burn me, and I wont burn you. I would love to meet on a regular basis with a FEW guys. Pm me if interested. I can probably not afford 100+ guys but would be up for 10-15 for a few hours a week. Maybe focus on a project and make something happen. I figure this might fit having a project, a budget and a shop would really help with a few good friends. No one will be just showing up (I hope). If interested, lets send me a few pm's, I will then look at schedule and put something together. We could have a saturday, or sunday thing and see what happens.

I just want people whom have a skill set, have a desire, willing to share what you know, and willing to work on something fun. I dont currently have a project, other than little things to get the Dub back together. I am very much so learning too.

I know I have a friend that just bought a 50 chev fastback coupe (sorry if described it un-correctly). We will start with floor replacement, and making a few rust repairs, and on and on.

Well, I will let you know if I have an update.

BH

24. Bill H.

Bill H.

Any shop rats interested? Im thinking of a gathering in May? I have a meet I am going to in MN last weekend of april, so a week or two after that would be sweet.

Maybe we could schedule various tech processes and due some demos.

Pm me if interested.

BH

BH

25. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

Bill you should be a great inspiration to these guys.Cant wait to see you at my meet.Did you ask johnie if he is comming.I talked to Terry Stolarski ,and it sounds like he is comming and putting on a power hammer demo with a bunch of his dies.Dan

26. Abomination

Abomination

I sent an email to a local guy that specializes in Rust-O-Leum paint jobs... I might be able to get him to do a demo.

~Jason

27. I've been here in KC 8 yrs now, and I still personally know only like 2 or 3 car guys right here in KC. It's funny how the city kind of stays to themselves. Carl Hagan

28. Abomination

Abomination

Man, I wish I could get out more.

It's just me and the kids most of the time these days, and it's hard to get anything done, let alone go anywhere. And while I can take 'em places with me, whenever I do I sometimes I get tired of running after them, never getting to relax or have any fun.

I've been begging my mom for weeks to come over and watch the kids for an hour or so while I put a starter in my dad's Ranger. It's just two bolts... TWO. you know? It won't even come close to taking an hour... but for one crazy reason or another it never works out for me, and the only times she's available are when it's raining, snowing, or like 19 degrees out.

The kids can help to a degree, but before long they're either making a beeline for the street or trying to climb down a 12' railroad tie wall, agging each other on like a couple of teenage boys (even though they're 4-year-old girls - yes, twins).

I mean, if I wasn't underneath the car where I'd have to crawl out from underneath of it to holler at 'em to come back to the yard every 5 minutes I'd probably be fine. I love 'em, but jeez... it's no wonder I watch an hour of TV and then crash early on days when they're with their mom.

If it wasn't for the HAMB, I'd be so disconnected from my people, it's not even funny. It helps me to be connected without physical presence, and to not be so reclusive... not to mention it's something I can do at work, which has become my refuge! LOL!

So although I'm not present in the flesh, in spirit I'm with you guys. I apologize for not being available to go to much. Someday...

~Jason

Meanwhile, the local Craigslist has been getting me into trouble. I just blew $360 I didn't have on 3 rebuilt 97s (that nobody's beat the shit out of) that just came off a running car 4 months ago (see attached pics).

Hey, if anybody local has a '75 - '87 A-833 OD transmission (where there's an OD gear where 3rd usually is) from an Aspen or a Volare, or a small block Mopar bellhousing for said transmission they want to trade off (or know where one is), PM me!

~Jason

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  29. ThunderRoad Garage

ThunderRoad Garage
    from missouri

bill-

sent a PM. man this is an incredible offer. yes i think a tech gathering would be amazing if you are interested. i dont know much myself. but i was jsut reading a thread on a group of folks that got together and did a gauntlet run on chopping a car. heck i would even offer to let a horde of shop rats cut up the 47 plymouth special deluxe. could be an "interesting" chop to say the least. and i most definitely would need gobs of help for it to turn out right.

boy i sure turned into an opportunist real quick didnt I?

well i apologize but what can i say. i am getting desperate to get the car done within the next two years. well that and i love to learn from others. i think some good things could come from this... i hope nobody takes advantage of this. hate to see a good offer get burned up by a bunch of chuckle nuts in the area.

-jason

30. Bill H.

Bill H.

Ok,

Heres whats up.

Looking at a MID May gathering. Not against a single or a few before. Im open.

I know its not Hamb material, but its a good start for a practice car. I have a 67 standard bug, I want to make complete aluminum body for after repairs to sub frame are done. I will want to make it with removable carson top, and some other things, I have been dreaming up. Its in storage, but can be in the shop in ten minutes flat.

Im going south to look at a 49 ford BIZ. coupe this next week too, so might have that to fiddle with soon also.

I had no time to take shop pics, but will get to that asap, just need cleaned up and time to mess with it.

So,

If your interested, and have not sent PM, lets get on it. I will send replies this weekend up till next week.

We will make a list of whos in, whos not,and if you want to come out b4 lets chat.

Bill