Register now to get rid of these ads!

T5 Info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Ernie, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I don't know - check with Snarl on here - he's pretty familiar with the electronic speedos.

2. bluebolt

bluebolt
    from Benton LA

And here's the elusive chevy pattern WC 93 S10 T5, I stole this pic from Ebay, tag code 221.

3. El Gordo

El Gordo

Finally found a 2 wheel drive, 5 speed, mid 80's, S10, that still HAD the driveshaft at the local pick-a-part -
    Took a few visits before all those stars where aligned!

But now I know for a fact that a S10 yoke fits a Camaro tailshaft

The install shall continue....

4. Jimmy2bottle

Jimmy2bottle

I cant wait to put this thread to some good use and make my 5window go faster

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a question for you T5 gurus!!!

I've been told a T56 will take a T5 speedometer cable drive. Can someone tell me about the cable drives? Are they all the same and interchangable or did they vary by year? Could someone maybe post a picture of one so I know what the heck I'm looking for? I've never even seen one. Anyone have one for sale??

BTTT for this awesome thread!

6. nexxussian

nexxussian

I have heard the Chevy T56 drive will fit a Chevy T-5.

I have not tried it though, so this info is worth exacly what you paid for it (ie nothing ;)).

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So then I can say I got what I paid for... WOOHOO! :D

Yeah, from things I've read, they're interchangeable, but I don't know if there is a particular year I should be looking for. Thought I would first find out if all the T5 drives were the same. I'm guessing they are with the exception of the gears themselves, but hopefully someone here can clear this up. I NEED one!!

8. speedy pete

speedy pete

Ernie, Thanks for all the T-5 info. I have been following your advice and just getting ready to install my T-5 in 50 Shoebox behind a 276 flatty, L100 cam, holley four barrel. I went with redrilled fly wheel for S-10 clutch and disc.

Attached Files:

9. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Is this a hard to find t5?

10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Officially, Chevy went to the Ford pattern in '93. Apparently, '93 was a transition year, because, while I've never seen one, I have at least four folks who say they've held 'em in their hands! All out of S10 - not seen a Camaro one w/o the Ford pattern after '93...

On the speedo thing, I can only speak for the Ford T5 stuff. I know the Ford speedo gears are all the same throughout the T5 mech speedo range. Even the automatic gears will work in a T5 if you trim the pilot about 3/16".

I PMed you more specific info, Scooter.

11. nexxussian

nexxussian

FWIW I had to buy one of the retainer clips for the speedo driven gear for a T-5 I had.

The Ford Dealer I finally tracked it down with claimed the P/N for it orriginated W/ the C4 Auto Back in 196? when the C4 was orriginally released.

No, I don't remember the P/N but that might help someone track one down if they needed it.

12. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Scooter - feel free to post the speedo gear info I sent you via the last two PMs. I cleaned out my PM box (in and out) and don't have it anymore - don't feel like resending it either.

It has p/n for all the T5 speedo gears...

I also sent him the "which speedo gear for which rear gear" listing too...

Post it up - I'm too lazy to retype it all!

13. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

14. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Not sure - what year GMC? But if it's got the GM pattern, it's likely pre-93...

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is this the speedometer drive piece I need for the T5? The gear holder, or whatever you want to call it. Anyone know or have experience with this?

[​IMG]

Then there's just a clamp that holds it in, right??

16. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Doesn't look like the Ford ones I've seen....but no telling.

17. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Thanks for the info, just what I have been looking for.

18. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Ernie ,thanks for all the great information on the T-5 . You saved me a ton of searching the net to find that information .
    Thanks Again !

19. slepe67

slepe67

I think I'm number 5!!! I jsut yanked one out of a 93 S-10 today, and it doesn't look ANYTHING up front like curbspeed's pic. I'll take a pic tomorrow. In the mantime, is there a measurement to figure out the bolt pattern? You know, like measuring wheels???

I've got a '56 Y-block w/ car bellhousing I was going to bolt it to, but, it isn't even CLOSE.

Hey Flat Ernie, look forward to a few PMs from me real soon :)

20. Wow this is alot of info - thanks guys.

Has anyone put one of these behind a 223?

21. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

I'm trying to plan a T5 with '52 Merc in an original '34 roadster. I have the Merc flathead, T5, and adapter from Cornhuskers. I need to know what modifications need to be done to the frame. I am planning a dropped I beam with parallel leaves and a '57 Ford big bearing rear end out of a Ranch Wagon w/3.50 gears. I will probably farm out the fabrication as I am not knowledgeable myself to do nor do I want to. Too much age and arthritis. Any and all help will be appreciated.

22. Welp....I'm putting a s-10, T-5 in my 34 coupe...It's not completely finished but so far I've removed the center of the X, built a plate to bolt into the bottom rivet holes and am fabbing up a "stand" to sit my 2-bolt [60s-70s chevelle 4 speed/350 turbo] tranny mount on. Still busy chopping the top but will get back on mounting the engine/trans in a few weeks.
    The legs of the X didnt' need to be altered in my application.......so far.
    I know, I've been no help.
    PS.....I used a sawzall to remove that "hangy-down-thing [torque bar mount?] at the bottom of the tranny case. It interfered with the mounting....and looked dorky.

23. Rande

Rande

I've installed a T5 from a '95 Mustang 3.8 onto my '50 Buick straight eight. Pretty easy. Its in a custom frame, though. Not a stocker.

I haven't read through this whole thread so this might be redundant. The Jeep XJ (cherokee) and MJ (comanche) used the peugot BA10 five speed through 1988, then they changed over to the Aisin/Warner AX15. Don't look there for a T5.

24. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

Thanks for the hard and tedious work! Very much appreciated.

25. speedmetal

speedmetal
    from houston

thanks for info

26. moffatsa11

moffatsa11
    from MN

Hey, I'm kind of new to the whole building up muscle cars thing, but I just managed to get my hands on an old '73 Torino with a 302. Now, it's automatic, and I ain't down with that, does anybody know how hard it'd be to try and throw a t5 in there? Thanks a lot!

27. tjm73

tjm73

Not really the right forum for that car, but it wouldn't be too hard of a job to do. Try the web-based magazine called Ford Muscle. Lots of tech and I think they did this swap or one like it.

28. moffatsa11

moffatsa11
    from MN

Sweet, thanks for the info tjm73! I'll check them out, sorry 'bout posting something a lil irrelevant I guess. My bad! Thanks though :)

29. rodncustom

rodncustom

Very good informaiton.